Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bandwidth! It's all about the Bandwidth. Make sure customer support is at top notch too.
      0 Not allowed!

As far as I am concerned there are a few important things a host should offer:
    - At least 99.5% uptime
    - Daily backups
    - Support is very important. Not just the speed of their reply, but the quality of it. My current web host is very good in this respect.
      0 Not allowed!

A good host

Oh yes, and of course I would insist on online web stats. And as far as my experience goes PLESK control panels are MUCH more stable than anything else I have ever come across.
      0 Not allowed!

Ask them how many technical support staff they employ and how many are available on any given shift.

I've found that, for general technical support, you need about 1 staff for every 2000 customers. The helpdesk tickets generated per 2000 customers is easily handled by 1 person. You figure out of those 2000 customers, maybe 25 will submit a helpdesk ticket on any given day.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

After just having an awful experience with a big US based hosting company I have the following suggestions:

1. Have a host in your own country. Stupid first line technical support staff can really push your telephone call expenditure past the price of the hosting itself if you are calling abroad (because, being incompetent, they can't deal with your problem, have to put you on hold while they consult with someone else, or they give you incorrect information). I've spent $xxx in the last month on tech support calls to the US from the UK.

2. Have one or two tricky questions to try out on tech support BEFORE you open your account. Some hosts pay peanuts and have monkeys handling calls. Even if it's a local call you don't want to spend 10 hours on the phone to fix a problem that should only take 10 minutes.

3. Use your browser and friendly search engine. Try combinations like "hosting company name + problems", "hosting company name + service", "hosting company name + useless", "hosting company name + sucks" etc.
      0 Not allowed!

very good advice. thx
      0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123