How will ACTA affect the web hosting industry?

Here's a video on what it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citzRjwk-sQ

Hopefully others have been following this and can bring the group up to speed.

-Christian
    Christian Dawson Exectuive Director and Co-Founder, i2Coalition
    The i2Coalition is comprised of small to medium cloud providers, data centers, registrars, registries and other foundational Internet enterprises. Join today!
    Follow us on Twitter @i2coalition or checkout our forum!

This seems like a good resource for anyone not fully up to speed on ACTA (like myself!). Here's the
    link: https://www.accessnow.org/acta-overview

It does indeed look like it'd affect hosting providers pretty directly, in similar ways that PIPA & SOPA would.
    Christian Dawson Exectuive Director and Co-Founder, i2Coalition
    The i2Coalition is comprised of small to medium cloud providers, data centers, registrars, registries and other foundational Internet enterprises. Join today!
    Follow us on Twitter @i2coalition or checkout our forum!

It probably helps to step back and realize the difference between a plurilateral agreements, multilateral agreements, and law.

You can't compare it apples to apples to PIPA/SOPA.

Read the agreement

http://www.international.gc.ca/trade...5-2011_eng.pdf

That's the best resource for ACTA. The AccessNow pamphlet did make me giggle though, especially about when it went on about how undemocratic an ACTA Committee would be compared to the WIPO/WTO.

I'm not blind though, it does affect hosting providers who have otherwise relied on the belief that legal disparities between countries have acted as a barrier for copyright holders to 'make a presence' in another country. With ACTA, the barriers are lower and the normalization of laws avoid *weird* black hole situations, likely allowing more uptake of legal action across borders. You still deal with your own legal system, along with its own set of due-process and privacy laws which ACTA cannot override.

ACTA isnt SOPA.

Countries sign to ACTA, however it's up to the goverment of the country how they implement ACTA. ACTA isn't a set of laws.

Once signed up to ACTA, the country then attempts to pass its own laws to enforce it, of course these can be blocked.

So let's stop the ACTA is SOPA. Most of it comes out of the recent confusion.

ACTA isn't just online, it's also a whole lot about fake goods, so a lot of ACTA is to make you less likely to buy counterfeit goods, which is a good thing right?

But certainly the Internet part of the ACTA treaty has issues, you can't govern the Internet, because its not a single place or entity, not to mention its an open system, if you close one, someone can easily make another.

So ACTA itself isn't going to affect you, however the way your country implements it might.

Well the UK have signed up to ACTA with out having 1 debate in the house of commons about it >.<

Quote Originally Posted by megaukhost View Post
    Well the UK have signed up to ACTA with out having 1 debate in the house of commons about it >.<
    No, the UK hasent signed anything. The EU signed up to the treaty but has not ratified it. If it is ratified then the EU states will need to decide how to implement it, whIch itself would need discussion and passing in the house of commons.

In Germany politicians are still discussing about whether to sign or not. There have been lots of demonstrations to prevent the German government to sign ACTA. Hopefully, the voice of the peole is loud enough to prevent ACTA..