Does good VPS hosting mean good shared hosting?

I've been looking through reviews, and for some of the hosts on my list, I get reviews on their VPS services but nothing on their shared services. So does a company's reputation with VPS hosting mean reliable shared hosting, too? (And for the purpose of information, does this also work vice versa?)
    Last edited by Sans; 02-25-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Not necessarely. However usually a company that deliver one good thing also deliver another good thing.

Maybe yes or maybe no
    The Web Hosting is huge,
    Some providers have good repu in VPS/Dedi some have good repu in Shared/Reseller.
    If you choose a provider, you need to check his reviews, ask other peoples and get their opinions on it.
    It is as same as,
    Hostgator is known as Good Shard/Reseller Provider, but we didn't hear a lot about their VPS Servers.
    ☆☆ RoyalNode Web Hosting☆☆ In Business Since 2018 (3 Years)
    ►►Los Angeles CA USA, Oregon Seattle USA, Canada, Amsterdam NL EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable Managed SSD VPS and Managed Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

VPS Hosting = Certain Dedicated Resources For Yourself + Share Resources
    Share Hosting = All Share Resources..

So Which is better?
    By Resource i mean HDD, Ram, CPU etc.

It depends on how their servers are configured and also their customer support

I reckon the support are unnecessary :O, people on this forum are better support than them XD, plus you gain experience by doing your own maintenance ^^, many hosting provide support for $10 more extra per month but if you really need it, it's helpful to get, Shared Hosting comes with free support

If you want semi-support, DMEHosting is great, just that take half a day to get reply, but they willing to help yas ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Xantar View Post
    VPS Hosting = Certain Dedicated Resources For Yourself + Share Resources
    Share Hosting = All Share Resources..

So Which is better?
    By Resource i mean HDD, Ram, CPU etc.
    But since these resources are controlled by hardware controllers, are they really dedicated to you?
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Yah it's guarantee to you unless it's false advertisement while if you use too much on shared hosting, it's likely to get suspended meh (happens all the time) and they force you to change to their more expensive dedicated servers or they won't un suspend your account for you to make backups

Quote Originally Posted by Xantar View Post
    If you want semi-support, DMEHosting is great, just that take half a day to get reply, but they willing to help yas ^^
    lol .... I waited 3 days to get a reply on a support ticket, i don't call that support at all.

I think there's some confusion here (probably mine). I wasn't trying to compare VPS and shared hosting, I was asking if a webhost's quality of VPS hosting is the same for their shared hosting (and vice versa).

Quote Originally Posted by Sans View Post
    I think there's some confusion here (probably mine). I wasn't trying to compare VPS and shared hosting, I was asking if a webhost's quality of VPS hosting is the same for their shared hosting (and vice versa).
    Not necessarily. It's possible that two of their own VPS nodes are on extremely different ends of the quality spectrum. You may have been put on a VPS node that has no resource intensive users and then they could have VPS nodes that are constantly going down due to major abuse.
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support • Enterprise Grade Hardware • Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

Its chance to mean they will also offer good shared hosting if they have a rep for good vps hosting but could also go the other way.

I personally would take the chance.

VPS has nothing to do with Shared Hosting. Everything is different. The underlying servers should be much more powerful and redundant, there is a virtualization technology and the management on both host side and client side is different. You can consider incompetent and unreliable those web hosts that try to sell VPS the way they sell Shared Hosting. My advise to you is to forget "Top 10..." in VPS hosting.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

A good review on one service does not mean a good review on all services

No, its not necessary one service provider may be good at providing VPS hosting solution but can be bad in case of shared hosting.

Nikhil Agrawal
    Asia Web Services

Please don't dig up old topic, it notify me new reply for something like 2 weeks old