Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vpscolo.com initial review

This is just an initial review of http://vpscolo.com , I signed up about a week ago, although I am a fan of instant sign up I appreciate the reasons Rus and gang email you a sign up link...

Presales... 5 out of 5 stars - I asked question via the forums and PMs here at WHT and all questions were answered very quick and honestly, a big plus in my book

Initial set up... 4 out of 5 stars - as I stated I like a faster signup process but I was emailed my sign up link within 6 hours so that isnt bad

Sign up process... 4 out of 5 stars - After I received the sign up link there was some initial confusion as my link was for one month instead of a 3 month payment but this was very quickly resolved by Rus and payment went through with 2CO without problems

Welcome email... 5 out of 5 stars - very informative, all the sign in information was there with IP addresses, root passwords, hostname Info, newsletter, contact information and phone number with links to support very prominent

Transfer... 5 out of 5 stars - I had a very active forum to move and Rus was very helpful in moving everything for me from another VPS with only about 5 minutes of downtime for my members

Initial support... 5 out of 5 stars - Every question I have asked either by support email or ticket system was answered within minutes or an hour tops

Uptime... 5 out of 5 stars - nodowntime to really report, there was a kernal upgrade I believe but notice was given to as what was going on and was fixed in a timely manner, I posted about it to my forum and noone even noticed

Hardware & Stats... 5 out of 5 stars... running on a duel Xeon, very fast, very responsive, CPU loads average around .5, I have seen .03 up to 1.?? and at no time has slowness been a factor, no memory errors that I experienced at dinix.com, UML may not be superior to Virtuosso but it is very stable and the ability to upgrade memory, bandwidth and space without having to upgrade plans is awesome

Overall... 5 out of 5 stars - I am still new to VPS's, linux and a dedicated enviroment, the help I have received is great and reassuring, I look forward to a continued relationship with Rus and jvds/vpscolo

I have learned alot from WHT and have chose what I believe to be great hosts, I still and will always host a site with http://www.aplushosting.com/ , I started almost a year ago hosting my forum with http://httpme.com , after outgrowing the shared enviroment and very sadly leaving httpme I moved to dinix.com , but the pricing of upgrading due to continued memory problems and a oversold server I chose to move to vpscolo and believe I have made the right choice for expanded growth for me and my sites with the ability to upgrade only things necessary

In closing I have been here long enough to know my initial review is just that, "initial", and I do look forward to a 6 month review and reviews beyond that, I have never been "moved" to review a host this in depth since I began years ago with http://www.aplushosting.com/ who actually use my comments on their site as a testimonial

Also for those that must have it, one of my sites and my most active forum hosted with vpscolo is http://fullsizebronco.com , test it, visit it, enjoy it, whatever you need to do to realize this review/post in the real deal

Thanks,
    Joe
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service

Thanks for the kind comments. Hope you feel the same way in 6 months

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Great to hear! I've been looking at jvds and dinix also, but I went with Dinix for the Internap. The DC for vpscolo just doesn't cut it with pure algx bandwidth.

Rus, if you can get some better bw over there, I'll switch over in a heartbeat! Also, your forums are crawling at a snail's pace right now.

Dinix is overpriced and gives memory errors - they should not even offer VPS100 because it can not meet memory requirements for CPanel and WHM. They do have excellent support though.

PorkChup look for some big changes in the vps100 account we know of the issues with ram and all customers on every plan will be getting a very nice upgrade at no cost.

This has been in the works for some time now but we had to get enough new hardware in stock to handle all the upgrades we have in store.

ProkChop: The datacenter has already has plans for Internap over an Xo link in the works and also will be able to do Level3/HE.net on the West Coast soon

Rus

PorkChup, I have set up three of the large VPS at JVDS, and I too was concerned about the AGLX network, but so far things have been fine. I have to say that I am totaly happy with what RUS has provided, and his support is truly excellent.

Jim
    http://FireStormHost.com
    Low Cost Reseller Hosting
    http://5under5.com
    Low Cost Shared Web Hosting

Anyway, I just want to say that I'm now impressed with both companies for their excellent service, especially at this hour

Originally posted by jvds
    ProkChop: The datacenter has already has plans for Internap over an Xo link in the works and also will be able to do Level3/HE.net on the West Coast soon

Rus
    I have to say, so far I have been impressed with the connectivity and ping times, honestly, leaving dinix and the Internap bandwidth was one of my greatest concerns moving to vpscolo but it has become a moot point as everything is working out great

Talked to Rus few times and found him very friendly.

I believe you will feel even better in the coming months

Originally posted by Paul L.
    PorkChup look for some big changes in the vps100 account we know of the issues with ram and all customers on every plan will be getting a very nice upgrade at no cost.

This has been in the works for some time now but we had to get enough new hardware in stock to handle all the upgrades we have in store.
    Hey Paul, when are those changes/upgrades are due? as I am looking for a new home now.
    George

http://www.sears-in-reno-sucks.com
    I am on a 30 day diet, I've lost 5 days already.....

Originally posted by Paul L.

thats good to hear. I was thinking of going over to vpscolo.com or servint. I will stay put with Dinix a while and see what happens.

Great review by the way. Rus seems to be running a VPS outfit with vpscolo and jvds.

I don’t want to high jack this thread with Dinix stuff it’s not fair to vpscolo, but the upgrades are happening right now and will take us about a week to complete.

After we are done with the free upgrades we will release all new plans.
    Anybody currently has or that buys a vps before then will get the free upgrade.

If you guys have any questions please email sales and lets let this thread get back on track.

Rus, you are going to be adding an XO link? That's excellent, I work for XO Communications in the DIA support department *chuckles* you may be calling into me for support someday *LOL*. I have chosen to go with your service, after eyeballing much of the competition. I am excited after reading the great reviews, and hey, if your workin with my company too, then that just makes the deal even sweeter!

Its not me personally but the data center in which we host. I've been told a few weeks. Drop me a PM and we can try to work out the order

Rus

I have also jumped aboard with VPSColo, I am in the process of moving DNS over to them. The support has been beyond excellent I do like the ability to see the RAM I am using from my VPS..

Sounds like a good place. ^_^ I will check it out.

I've been with vpscolo for about a month. I'm reasonably satisfied overall, but also considering moving to a dedicated server. AFAICT, the management requirements are nearly the same between a UML VPS and a dedicated server. The big advantage here is that you have Rus to rely on if you have problems, and it seems like he'll really go out of his way to help you.

Some other random observations:
    • The underlying hardware appears to be very solid
    • I have some doubts about UML as a hosting platform
    • ALGX bandwidth sucks...Internap will be a big upgrade if/when it materializes. Its something I would have more faith in if it was being handled directly by Rus (someone I deal with directly) instead of the DC/upstream provider.
    • I wish I'd gotten the 10% off deal
    • I'm not sure whether I ever really got the full 128MB of physical memory...it looks more like 124xxxK, 132MB is 131072K.
    • My wacked-out sleep/website maintenance schedule matches up well with UK time for support

OK Latest update on XO is 95% sure by the end of the month and all servers will automatically have it setup as the primary route.

Also for the 128Mb of RAM as UML has its own Linux kernel it does take some of that for internal memory managment as it would do on a real machine

Rus

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between Rus's JVDS and the vdscolco services? Kinda interested in knowing the difference. Any ideas??

JVDS is aimed at people who want a choice of distribution, happy to work at the Linux/FreeBSD root prompt. VPSColo is aimed at CPanel resellers who want more power and services than they might get with a traditional shared host. As such support/services and packages are geared towards each of those groups

Rus

Ok... gotcha (I thought it was along that line... wanted to make sure!)

Rus is a very helpful guy.

Originally posted by westcan
    Rus is a very helpful guy.
    he is, but i'm beginning to wonder if he ever sleeps

You just need to know when to sleep..World record for being awake is 11 days and I'm nowhere near that yet

Rus

Just have to throw my word of Kudos for VPS Colo and Rus in particular. Not only is this guy one knowledgeable host owner, he is a great guy to work with and has a phenominal work ethic. I've been dealing with webhosts for many years now, starting around 1994-95 working with my local ISP as a small webhost. Since then I've gone through a mazillion webhosts trying to find one that seemed to balance great support with full bodied features and a reasonable price. I also admit to having fallen into the trap of 2 dollar per month webhosts that promise the world and do not deliver.

However, I then stumbled across this website in this past December, and found JVDS and VSP Colo, both owned by Rus (or at the very least, RUN by Rus). I was impressed with his high praise and decided to give him a try. I will tell you this now, he has exactly matched what I needed to a T. Perfect support, mixed with robust features and offerings at a price I feel comfortable paying.

I don't often write praise about webhosts, because I figure they can do their own advertising, but let me tell you what. Rus has changed my mind, and I now sing praises to his company.

Thank you VPS Colo. You've done great by me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast