What to do with lots of space and bandwidth

Hello all, this is my first post here, so hopefully I've selected the proper location for this post.

A little bit of background, I have a friend who was converting one big cube farm into lots of smaller "executive suites" to rent out individually. In the beginning, we just load balanced internet for the suites across a couple DSL lines, but as more and more suites became occupied, the limitations of this solution became quickly evident. In this area of town (Miramar California part of San Diego proper) all we could get was DSL lines, but we finally managed to massage the numbers enough to afford a 20 Mb/s symmetrical metro ethernet circuit from at&t.

I have a rack in a back room that I run a couple servers on to host my hosted PBX business on this circuit as well as provide bandwidth to the tenants, but we have TONS of unusable windowless space in the back that can't really be converted into office space and are trying to figure out a way to leverage the connectivity we have. The building also has Time Warner fiber which isn't lit up currently, but it could be....so the real question is, is there a market for cheap colo space? If we put up cages in this back area, do you think we would be able to market this as like a tier 0.5 data center? And charge bargain basement prices? We would of course bump the at&t circuit up to 100 Mb/s, and possible light up Time Warner circuit and offer BGP routing services. The building is in a commercial district, and the area of the building that would be doing this in is quite secure, but wouldn't be manned 24x7 or anything.

Part of me thinks the entire exercise would be a waste of time, but another part of me knows that you never know until you try.

So if you were in this situation, what would you do with the space?

If your not doing anything else with it why not. It could be a cheaper alternative to your normal colo. Could be used by business to back-up their data. Doesn't have to be for web hosting.
    Still under development! Web Hosting in the East of England!

Got good payment gateway rates! PM me for more details

I'd sell the space on the cheap to tenants for storage/archive rooms, etc.

I agree with your partial assessment that this would be a waste of your time and money.
    * GeekStorage.com - Offering awesome website hosting for over 13 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Virtual Private Servers * Dedicated Servers
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

May be difficult to market this idea given the prices you can get into Tier 2+ DC's these days, particularly in the USA.
    www.netwise.co.uk | High-value UK Server Colocation and Data Centre Services.

> Take a look at our award-winning private London data centre portfolio.