I just got a reseller account, what's next?

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your posting over here. I have learned a lot from webhostingtalk. I just started to get a reseller account from semoweb, with minimum capacity silver package.

Basically, I am a part-timer for web development trainer. Right now, I am focusing my course for Joomla profesional website. I would like to provide solution provider for the participants who attend the class but without domain and hosting.

I would like to ask whoever having ideas:

1. What is the minimum space should I placed? Should I place 100MB, 200MB.. 500MB?

2. How is the best to make things work? To charge the participants included into the course fee or provide options for them to choose separately?

3. I am not sure yet how the WHMCS works. Anybody has sample for me to refer?

Thank you very much for your helps and inputs.

Aridz

maybe you need to start learning current demand and other offers first before you decide which one to chose?

Hi aridz,

Actually there is no specific formula to define how much the minimum disk space/bandwidth should you setup when creating hosting plans for your clients.
    I myself setup 3 hosting plans under my reseller account, from: 250 MB of disk space (bandwidth 2,5 GB/month) to: 2,500 MB of disk space (bandwidth 25 GB/month).

It's better for you to provide options for your clients/customers to choose separately (as add-on service perhaps). Give your customers flexibility to choose what they need.

As a start, you may want to check : http://wiki.whmcs.com/Main_Page
    and see the 'Getting Started' section there.

Good luck and all the best for your web hosting business
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

Thanks Agustan. It helps. If I go to just google about, I am sure I will be flooded with too much information till I am not sure where to go first. Thanks again. Appreciate if there is any other inputs.

You're very welcome aridz
    Just ask here when you have any issues/questions. All WHT's experienced and friendly members here will be gladly to help you as best as they can.
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

Hi

Its great to see new people starting in the industry buddy. As agustan states there is no exact formula, you need to look at the total space you have available, how many accounts you can set up and what you want to charge for those accounts. Remember it is not about using the maximum space available as server performance is important. You should always keep this in mind.

A good solid business plan is the best way to start. Who,what,where,when,how and why. You should download one of the free programs and research the market. Anyone can get the hardware but as they say "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"

As others have recommended, I would highly advise that you sit down and write a business plan before doing anything (this really should have been done before you got the reseller account)
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

I know this is controversial but I'm personally not a fan of business plans, unless of course you've invested a serious amount of capital e.g owned hardware.

The great thing about a reseller account is you it's a very affordable way to get started. If you write a complete business plan and then a week in decide the industry is not for you the business plan would be wasted.

Jack
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Web Hosting Templates for WHMCS Templates | WordPress | HTML | Blesta | Clientexec
    █ Professional WHMCS Services | Installation | Configuration | Integration | Upgrades

here is a start:
    1. start getting your site ready and check search engine optimizations errors (plenty of free tools on the web)
    2. for whmcs go to youtube and type the following: whmcs part 1, whmcs part 2, etc. and that is one of the best guides I have ever seen for installing whcms under cpanel.
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime
    www.OffshoreRacks.com

Thanks so much for the info. Yes, a solid business plan is very important. However, I have my plan basically to offer a domain and hosting for my course participant. I am a part-timer teaching Internet business and Joomla course. Thus, this domain and webhosting business is a supporting to my main business since the participants do not own any domain/hosting. That's why I am registering the minimum plan of hosting reseller.

Basically, I have a degree in mechatronics and working as staff development engineer in semiconductor. It's totally no linkage with domain webhosting. I believe the best way to learn is to do the real thing on this domain /webhosting. Basically, I have the WHM skills in creating package, register the account and setting up the DNS for the domain to be pointed to the hosting. This is learn by joining the GoGvo hosting affiliate bizz but it is not that appropriate since the pricing is very expensive (unless you build up the group of affiliates).

However, I am not sure how to use the WHMCS yet and how to automate the process by using WHMCS.
    Last edited by aridz; 05-24-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aridz View Post
    However, I have my plan basically to offer a domain and hosting for my course participant. I am a part-timer teaching Internet business and Joomla course. Thus, this domain and webhosting business is a supporting to my main business since the participants do not own any domain/hosting. That's why I am registering the minimum plan of hosting reseller.
    Perfect That's a very good reason to start and will allow you to break into profit sooner.

However, I am not sure how to use the WHMCS yet and how to automate the process by using WHMCS.
    As OffshoreRacks suggested there is some good tutorials on Youtube which should help you get setup. Also WHMCS have good documentation and video tutorials:

http://www.whmcs.com/tutorials.php

http://wiki.whmcs.com/Main_Page
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Web Hosting Templates for WHMCS Templates | WordPress | HTML | Blesta | Clientexec
    █ Professional WHMCS Services | Installation | Configuration | Integration | Upgrades

Plans can be set up by looking at a few of the sites already posted here also where you bought the reseller plan you can use they mode as your operation....

1. It depend on your market
    2. you can create your own package with your own promotion as well
    3 https://support.********.sg/tutorials/billing.php this tutorial may help you how to use WHMCS

I am going to take some heat for this post, but I hope that in posting it, others may take something meaningful from it. Web hosting may be easy to get into, but without doing your research, failure is imminent. I say that not to discourage; but rather to encourage those who want to approach it in the most rational and professional manner.

1. What is the minimum space should I placed? Should I place 100MB, 200MB.. 500MB?
    Based upon the information provided, no-one can answer this. What are your students storing on their sites? One thousands videos uses more disk consumption than one thousand small text files. Understand who you are targeting first to develop a model of their requirements.

2. How is the best to make things work? To charge the participants included into the course fee or provide options for them to choose separately?
    Again, who are you targeting? Will they already likely have a web host? If so, does it make sense to target them? If not, maybe you have an answer. Do they need to pay themselves, or will they be asking a parent to front the bill?

3. I am not sure yet how the WHMCS works. Anybody has sample for me to refer?
    WHMCS is a billing software and information can be found at http://www.whmcs.com and you should refer to their documentation for support. (I say that because their website will be more resourceful).

It's better for you to provide options for your clients/customers to choose separately (as add-on service perhaps). Give your customers flexibility to choose what they need.
    While I understand what you are referring to, this is not always true. The first company I worked for in the industry catered to all customer needs. And those needs always seemed to be everything for nothing.

As agustan states there is no exact formula, you need to look at the total space you have available, how many accounts you can set up and what you want to charge for those accounts. Remember it is not about using the maximum space available as server performance is important. You should always keep this in mind.
    Agreed. And while these are factors that you may wish to take into consideration, there are *many* more factors that you should also to take into consideration. For example, you may wish to consider your customer profile, the support that your average customer requires or the likelihood of them to sue you.

A good solid business plan is the best way to start. Who,what,where,when,how and why. You should download one of the free programs and research the market. Anyone can get the hardware but as they say "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"
    As others have recommended, I would highly advise that you sit down and write a business plan before doing anything (this really should have been done before you got the reseller account)
    Agreed 100%.

I know this is controversial but I'm personally not a fan of business plans, unless of course you've invested a serious amount of capital e.g owned hardware.
    I don't advise this to anyone. Writing a business plan (even if not for an investor) lets you more efficiently plan your business concept. If anything, it at least helps you get your own thoughts straight!

here is a start:
    1. start getting your site ready and check search engine optimizations errors (plenty of free tools on the web)
    Should he get his site ready before he understand what he is selling?

2. for whmcs go to youtube and type the following: whmcs part 1, whmcs part 2, etc. and that is one of the best guides I have ever seen for installing whcms under cpanel.
    WHMCS is only a tool to fulfilling your accounting obligations.

Plans can be set up by looking at a few of the sites already posted here also where you bought the reseller plan you can use they mode as your operation....
    So should he setup UNLIMITED HOSTING plans or $50.00 per MB of disk space plans? I've seen bothered offered here on WHT.
    Last edited by phpcoder; 05-25-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Good info over here, thanks for the heat.. Actually, this is my third attempt as to start the webhosting biz. By the way, I took the opportunity of 30 days money back guaranteed.

By the way, I have done the "sales page" template selection with using Joomla. Is anybody using Joomla too? However, I found very limited modules for hosting and I have tried a domain checker module but it seems give me error. The website is www.joomla-hoster.com . What I know for the domain checker, I have to get API from the domain provider. I normally buying domains from namecheap.com . Is it a good move to get from them?

There are plenty of tutorials for WHMCS, and they have great documentation for set up.

As for the plans I would consider your target market before taking advise.
    Hydro Host – Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting – Reseller Hosting – Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net