Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

How do you go 'Green'?

The post title says it all pretty much,

How do you go 'Green'?

Virtualizing our systems. Replacing the old hardware with the new one for saving power usage.

Buy new servers, particularly the energy efficient ones(Mostly the old ones suck energy lot).

Create Virtual servers in it if required & possible to run for multiple purpose.

Shutdown your Monitor/PC when not going to use for long time.

Go for Candle Light dinner, and call me too.....

And paint everything & everyone GREEN.

Scientifically proved, its good for eyes

Thumbs up

I like gate2vn's advice.

Carbon Off-set your server and office's energy use
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

Virtualizing is probably the biggest thing you can do I think, since it would allow you to combine many servers into one.

-Buy a bunch of Renewable Energy Credits
    -Virtualize servers
    -Replace old hardware with new
    -Make sure your office is run on "wind" energy.

It's a long list, but I really do not think it's worth it. I mean great, your helping the environment, but your wallet is going to start hurting very, very fast.
    Not sure what to put here :-P

or solar energy and please recycle those documents..

I get a lot of papers i can use for printing from work saves me around approx $10 a month of papers..

how much more do those bigger companies use!

Cheapest way is use carbon credits which offset the displacement energy your company uses.

Virtualizing your servers or renting VPS's will both save money and reduce your energy footprint. A dedicated server wastes a lot of power.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

Awsome - Thanks everyone for your help.

We've been trying to green for a long time now here are steps we took.

1. Built into our corporate policy a green guide. which included powering down computer monitors when not used. Upgrading all our office equipment to energy efficient hardware. We then virtulized our whole office cutting down the hardware thus increasing efficacy. we also encourage natural light instead of using mains lighting. And today im erecting a small wind turbine

2. Virtulize hosting infrastructure instead of having several servers for main site/support portal back-ups we bought 2 new servers clustered them and now virtulize on them. We also use what we call "part time servers" so for example our backup servers are only ever switched on for duration of a backup

3. Our biggest move so far is to use a green powered datacenter we looked at several but most where very expensive, untill we got a email regarding burstNET now being a green datacenter. so where possible now we will be putting services into BurstNET. and where we cant put server into here we carbon offset by planting trees.

These guys from WWO should promote XEN virtualization on their T-shirts Xen do really good job here.

firstly, remember the only truly green are those cabbages that believe virtualisation magically reduces power usage - if thats the case then it mainly means you didnt plan it properly in the 1st place ...
    and lower power usage itself doesnt mean "green", just lower electricity bills ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Thanks everyone for your replies, I just saw my thread was mentioned in the WHT newsletter

Hi Andrew and all Greenies, I am new to WHT but I can see with topics like these I will really enjoy been a part of this Forum. It is really amazing what difference a little bi can make to help this world keep going round! I saw a documentary on this office built in Melbourne Australia that was designed for specifically to be environmentally friendly. They use no aircon or heating, just airflow, the utilize solar power as well as wind generated build into the building, when the office shuts all terminals are shut down. These are just the basics and make a world of difference, governments should really look into more subsidies for green technology!

Hey Ckarevz, I've seen and been inside that office and it's surprisingly cool inside in summer and warm in winter. It's a great company that run it too, but happy to have you a part of WHT and looking forward to what you post around.
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew T.

Web Designer & Developer Available For Hire

The problem is that the solar panels and wind turbines are still emerging technologies and for small companies its expensive to buy.
    Surely they cant run a data centre with them 100% because in the UK renewable energy isn't very reliable due to the weather conditions.
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

Quote Originally Posted by connorjackson View Post
    The problem is that the solar panels and wind turbines are still emerging technologies and for small companies its expensive to buy.
    Surely they cant run a data centre with them 100% because in the UK renewable energy isn't very reliable due to the weather conditions.
    That's a very true and valid point - but going green from what's discussed here can also be the small things like recycling paper, turning off lights/computers at close, etc.

But these technologies will become cheaper in the future just like computers did, eg: the 1TB HDD in Australia was something like $30k, but i just bought a few for $150 each - that was a change that happened over 5-10 years.

In my opinion sometimes it's the small things that make the big difference.
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew T.

Of course weather conditions always play a huge role as to how effective your renewable energy source is, as long as we are all trying to make a difference no matter how small or large our company or finances are. Every bit of help counts!

They are also working on a system now where you are able to store the renewable energy source and the public can put their own energy back in to the grids and the government will then reimburse the supplier. This is a fantastic way to give people and small business incentive to invest in these technologies.

Oddly enough I just read an article touting how tape is now the belle of the ball in a green datacenter.

Outside of virtulization, solid states drives, better PSU utilization, lower voltage processors - what's left in the datacenter for an average host?

I think a great article would be how to go "green" for folks that don't control their own hardware, such as resellers.
    consultingmode
    Effective, Personalized Support
    Hosting & Consulting Excellence since 1999!
    Accelerated Professional Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by recoil View Post
    I think a great article would be how to go "green" for folks that don't control their own hardware, such as resellers.
    I might put on together for all types of people that run hosting companies if people from this thread wish to pitch in and lend a hand?
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew T.

No offense but this 'going green' crap needs to stop. It's just not money smart right now in my opinion. I mean does it seriously waste that much energy, I think not.

Take my neighbor's house for example. He's got literally 10 computers all running 24/7 in just his office, and then another small server room in the basement running another 20 computers 24/7 and then several computers throughout the house that are on 24/7. It's not that much different than not running them.

Stupid environmental wackos.

Use good quality virtual servers instead of old cheap Dedicated Servers (suck more power)

Virtualization is one of the best way to "GO GREEN", as we will be able to sale servers at very low prices and the customers will also be "get greener" saving money by going for VPS according to his need.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast