Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by pergesu
    freebsd-security-notifications list. It's an incredibly low traffic list, so there's no real effort in having to "read it daily." You just set up your mail client to flag messages on that list, and whenever they pop up you see if they apply to you at all.
    It's also worth noting that, except in very unusual circumstances, FreeBSD security advisories go out on Wednesdays (and occur on average once per month).
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jax113
    thank god i use CentOS 4.3 and it is the best OS
    If you're going to come out with such a bold statement I think you're going to have to back it up with some facts?

I don't have a problem with FreeBSD, I think its a solid, reliable operating system, however, its not Linux.

At my workplace, we have a small number (6) *nix based servers, and the applications that we run are not supported under *BSD (any version). This alone makes it a no-go for us, and I think this is one of the main hurdles against wider adoption of *BSD.

To be honest, I have only had exposure to BSD for about 3 months, so I am not going to claim to be an expert, but it does have some very spotty Java support (and for that reason, we had to switch over to Linux or run Java in some sort of 'linux emulation mode' -- which didn't work out too well).

No arguing against ports though -- hands down the best software management system out there, in fact Gentoo's portage is based off of (or actually, inspired by) ports.

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet

If you're the type of person that appreciates the things that make FreeBSD a nicer operating system, you probably don't want to contaminate your server with something like cPanel in the first place

Just noticed this one .
    Well we are a datacenter.We are supporting only 2 types of OS.
    FreeBSD and CentOS.
    If bqinternet got nothing against,im gonna put his remarq on my server order page.

Break time!

What does BSD in FreeBSD stand for? it's Blue Screen of Death! So FreeBSD is Free Blue Screen of Death.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelleuh
    Well seems like most of you are very positive about freebsd. I wonder if there are any negative comments about it
    Its a pain in the butt for newbies.

I haven't used FreeBSD much other then installing it for people.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by sc0rpi0n
    What does BSD in FreeBSD stand for?
    Berkeley Software Distribution

Quote Originally Posted by NameSniper
    FreeBSD 5.x is pretty nice
    Well, I love FreeBSD and all, but 5.x was a bit of a rough cycle. They made a lot of drastic changes 4.x -> 5.x and the dust didn't really settle until 6.0. When 5.x was the newest, sometimes it was hard to recommend people take on the issues for the sake of the benefits, but now with 6.x it's a no-brainer... and I certainly wouldn't run 5.x anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrestrtr
    To be honest, I have only had exposure to BSD for about 3 months, so I am not going to claim to be an expert, but it does have some very spotty Java support (and for that reason, we had to switch over to Linux or run Java in some sort of 'linux emulation mode' -- which didn't work out too well).
    This issue was resolved recently. Besides being able to compile native Java via running through all sorts of hoops (which, admittedly, I've gotten to work for some time now despite it being more work than one would like), the FreeBSD foundation recently got permission from Sun to include a certified binary install via the ports system. One can now install the new binaries via the diablo- ports.
    Take back the web. Get Firefox
    I use FreeBSD on my desktop and servers.

We needed to go with FreeBSD. It was the only one of the two that could stand up to our weather site traffice of 10K people on-line at a time. With CentOS, Fedora Core 3, and RH, all 3 by different large dedicated server hosting providers, it went unresponsive by mid-morning. Today, we are running FreeBSD 6.1, PHP 5.1.4, and Apache 2.2.3, and eAccellerator RC1. It's solid as a rock, and flies. Since we also sell space on the server, we DirectAdmin and our own skins. (It's easy to skin yourself) For us, Linux is not even an option. The CentOS Linux hosters, and the most antagonistic of FreeBSD and any control panel other than cPanel, is today offerning both FreeBSD and DirectAdmin due to multiple similar experiences to ours.

You won't get us back on Linux any time soon. I don't have time for it. People like to cite performance charts and graphs to support Linux, which I also believed at one time, but it never played out like that for us in the real world. The only thing that I think about regarding our servers today is to marvel how fast and reliable they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Werpon
    I'll have to go against the flow here. A big Linux distro (CentOS, Debian, SUSE) is way easier to manage than FreeBSD. I've posted a comparison here before, you might want to search for it. Bottom line was, keeping your OS (not only the ports) up to date is more difficult and error-prone under FreeBSD. Don't just trust me on this; read the FreeBSD handbook and find out for yourself.

On fragmentation: BSDs are more fragmented than Linux distros. At least all distros use the same kernel; there are at least 14 BSD flavors right now, and at least six different kernels.
    yeah I agree with this. I admin like 50 FreeBSD box and god they are all different! Every upgrade is pain in the ***. I can solo admin 100+ redhat/centos box. But we need 3 admins for FBSD.

I liked FBSD before I came here to work, now its all hate

Quote Originally Posted by mfidelman
    I've been thinking a lot about switching from Linux to BSD, but I'm wrestling with some configuration questions.

Can anybody suggest an equivalent to DRBD and HA-Linux for mirroring and failover across two servers?
    Let me know if this makes sense: http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-.../msg00065.html

one problem with FreeBSD is every cp are made for linux first then FreeBSD and so are some of cp plug-in

if you look at DirectAdmin's third party software forum section, all the plug in are make for linux first then freebsd

Well I will got for FreeBSD infact i m going with it on my newly purchased server, Its been hassle free due to ports and it took around an hour or two to get secure. Few less commands thats fun to play with. Unlike linux where u need to install grsecurity and other things to make ur OS more secure. And as far as i know FreeBSD is more secure and stable as compared to Linux. And u will find every now and than LINUX exploits but wont find any FreeBSD exploits? atleast 1 in an year for FreeBSD but Linux no count. :/ Maybe i m wrong but this is wht i have experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by nofz
    yeah I agree with this. I admin like 50 FreeBSD box and god they are all different! Every upgrade is pain in the ***. I can solo admin 100+ redhat/centos box. But we need 3 admins for FBSD.

I liked FBSD before I came here to work, now its all hate
    Could you give specifics as to why this is the case? Using cvsup and portupgrade I have no issues upgrading FreeBSD on any kind of server.
    ServerMatingProject.com
    The World's first server mating experiment
    We give new meaning to I/O intensive and hot swap

Quote Originally Posted by jt2377
    one problem with FreeBSD is every cp are made for linux first then FreeBSD and so are some of cp plug-in

if you look at DirectAdmin's third party software forum section, all the plug in are make for linux first then freebsd
    Thats the main problem, that doesnt make freebsd itself inferior it just is down to linux having a larger userbase so the developers are using linux as their primary os, a couple of plugins for directadmin are primarily made with freebsd tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis
    ,,a couple of plugins for directadmin are primarily made with freebsd tho.
    Like the hands-down best AWStats plug-in for one.

I find this difficult to believe. If your FreeBSD servers are all different, then it is something that your company is doing to it, and not because of FreeBSD itself. FreeBSD is one of the most maintainable operating systems that I have worked with, and it has one of the most stable configuration layouts that any admin could ask for, making it easy to manage large numbers of FreeBSD servers.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet
    I find this difficult to believe. If your FreeBSD servers are all different, then it is something that your company is doing to it, and not because of FreeBSD itself. FreeBSD is one of the most maintainable operating systems that I have worked with, and it has one of the most stable configuration layouts that any admin could ask for, making it easy to manage large numbers of FreeBSD servers.
    I dont agree, my opinion is that while it may be a maintainable OS. I dont find it more maintainable than RHEL or CentOS.

I just know I invest 1/5 of the time to get the same things done in Linux than those FBSD admins here in FBSD. And they are pretty guru. We are talking about couple hundred servers here.

I do agree if you invest more time into whatever OS/distribution, it can get much better...

Anyways I am stopping to discuss about this here again, nobody ever wins this Linux vs FBSD discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVoice
    Could you give specifics as to why this is the case? Using cvsup and portupgrade I have no issues upgrading FreeBSD on any kind of server.
    Yeah it isnt hard to upgrade ports and install packages, our biggest problem is, that after successfull install that unpredictable things get broken which previously wasnt. Ofcourse it isnt really a big problem, you just have to recompile again with that knowledge but when you have couple hundreds fbsd it can be a pain. So we reduce the number of servers we update per day, which make fbsd update for us a longer/more expansive process.

Yeah it is also our fault that we have different FBSD versions, 4, 5 and 6 and different installs per server. But these are all full managed dedicated servers with different customers from couple years till now. Its not easy.

...but when you have couple hundreds fbsd...
    I don't know if any of this would be useful or not, but I just happened to be reading on them this weekend.

FreeBSD Update for automatically building, distributing, fetching, and applying binary security updates for FreeBSD. http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update/

Portsnap for securely downloading and updating a compressed snapshot of the FreeBSD ports tree, and using this compressed snapshot to extract or update a (uncompressed) copy of the ports tree. http://www.daemonology.net/portsnap/

Update server for updating operating systems in mass http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2006...ld-system.html

If anyone uses these, let us know your experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by IT_Architect
    If anyone uses these, let us know your experience with them.
    I use both FreeBSD Update and Portsnap. They work well, although I hear that cperciva is nearly finished writing a completely new and much improved version of FreeBSD Update. :-)
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cperciva
    I use both FreeBSD Update and Portsnap. They work well, although I hear that cperciva is nearly finished writing a completely new and much improved version of FreeBSD Update. :-)
    That's what I need to hear.

The worst thing about Linux is ext3 and what will happen to it if the lights go out, or your kernel panics

Quote Originally Posted by cperciva
    Where did you hear that? Certainly not on his blog! :)

PS, ontopic: No one will with such an argument, as it is completely subjective. The best operating system is the one with which you are most familiar.

PS, offtopic: What was Google like?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123