Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Unhappy new costomer with HOSTGATOR

Hi guys,

I'll tell you my experience with HOSTGATOR.
    (I wrote HOSTOGATOR on the topic but it's a typo)

I joined them early this morning(late last night) and my account was set up very quick in 20 minutes. My site on the new server started to work very soon and I was happy.

But after a while, my site went all of a sudden down... why?

Maybe my old host is down (the propagation is not complete yet?)
    I checked my old host and it is up(I still have a reseller account there).
    I pinged the domain name and it goes
    "Ping request couldn't find host"
    ??????

I used their live support.

The guy on the live-chat told me this was the matter of propagation and I should wait. I told him I pinged it and doesn't even show my old host's IP. It's weard.

He told me it happens a lot and it is inevitable that the site looks down sometimes 24-72 hours.
    Really?? I am not a new site owner. I'm changing the hosts.

Well, I thought at least it shows my site on old server, but if the support says so...But I decided to post about this here(how clever was I!!) and I got the response which says it's strange if the site looks down and at least it should show my site on the old server...(Just like I thought...)

I used the live support again. Then the guy said I should call them and verify my account...After I verified my account, it's up and running now.
    But if I hadn't posted here and asked about this...

I'd understand if my address and my Credit card address doesn't much but it does. My credit card is valid. My phone number works(They didn't call me).

I would go easy on them if there is something wrong with my information but there isn't. Or I would go easy if they e-mailed me about the suspention, but they didn't.OR, I even would go easy if at least the first guy on the live chat told me that I should verify my account, but he didn't .

Well, do you think I should have been more careful and called them by myself in advance?

I am so glad I posted the question here.

Thank you guys!

I'm having a very hard time following what you're saying. If you ping a domain by it's name while DNS is still propogating, it's not unusual to get "couldn't find host". This has nothing to do with your hosting provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Teruki
    . . . I joined them early this morning(late last night) and my account was set up very quick in 20 minutes. My site on the new server started to work very soon and I was happy.
    How did you know your site was resolving to the Hostgator server after 20 minutes?
    The guy on the live-chat told me this was the matter of propagation and I should wait. I told him I pinged it and doesn't even show my old host's IP. It's weard.
    Propagation can be wierd sometimes.

Although lately is taking 4-8 hours for domain propagation, it may happen (it happened to me today) that sometimes may take longer (in my case 36 hours), specially if you have to register nameservers (or renumber them).
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Incidentally, I use DNS software on my home computer that allows me to update my root hints from ICANN. In some instances, I've seen DNS propagation happen in a matter of minutes and not days. But as Aussie Bob says, "Propagation can be wierd sometimes."

To Aussie Bob

>How did you know your site was resolving to the Hostgator server after 20 minutes?

Because I got a e-mail from the sales@hostogator.com and I could upload my data at that point.

>Propagation can be wierd sometimes.

This is the topic I posted and I got the reply it's really strange.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=507099

To botchka

>it's not unusual to get "couldn't find host". This has nothing to do with your hosting provider.

I didn't write but even the second guy on the live-support told me it's weard.
    (And I am NOT a new site owner and I'm changing the host.)

Plus, it is NOT about propagation.
    They suspended my account and that's why it happend.
    Last edited by Teruki; 04-23-2006 at 02:00 AM.

To make it clearer...

1:After 20 minutes I joined Hostgator,
    I got an account info and I was able to upload the data at that point.

2:For argument sake, let's say "Propagation can be wierd sometimes."
    but Still shouln't the first live-support guy told me about the suspention?
    Check at least about my account?

3:Why did I have to verify my account anyway?

I already had my account info and the site was up on the new server.
    (I knew it was on the new server because the site has small difference from what I had on the old server)

This is NOT about propagation.
    This is about how Hostgator responded.

Propagation was NOT strange anyway.They suspended(or rather took back) my account
    for no reason without telling me.
    Last edited by Teruki; 04-23-2006 at 02:05 AM.

They may verify manually some accounts?
    Probably they have Modernbill set to auto-create new accounts, but they do manually verify orders coming from some countries or with some fraud risk (I'm just thinking out loud)
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hi Jedito,
    yeah I understand what you mean.
    But I'm from Canada...and my CC is Canadian too and my address
    and everything I gave Hostgator is the same as CC ones.

I would have understood the process(manual verifying) if they just mentioned about it in the first auto e-mail.

And at leaset they could have e-mailed me when they stopped my account....

You know what I mean??
    Last edited by Teruki; 04-23-2006 at 02:24 AM. Reason: English grammar mistakes

Yes, I know what you mean
    I was just speculating, trying to think what MAY happened

To Aussie Bob

>How did you know your site was resolving to the Hostgator server after 20 minutes?

Because I got a e-mail from the sales@hostogator.com and I could upload my data at that point.
    Sure, you got your welcome email, but that doesn't mean your site is then ready to instantly resolve from the HostGator server. You have to change your nameservers, and wait for propagation.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

If his website was uploaded at both the old host and the new host and dns changed (propagation pending), there should not have been any downtime. Propagation would not have dropped the old dns at one time than come back later and pointed to the new settings.

So the question is, were his files uploaded to both old and new dns destination points during propagation time.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Sure, you got your welcome email, but that doesn't mean your site is then ready to instantly resolve from the HostGator server. You have to change your nameservers, and wait for propagation.
    At the point I uploaded my site to the new server, my ACCOUNT was up, right?
    And of course I changed the nameservers and my site was up on the new server.

How do I know it's on new server?

Because I uploaded the page which has a small difference from my old page.
    I also pinged it and it even showed the new ip.

So at this poin, I'm like "Wow, it is WORKING! right?

Then, site went down, and I pinged it and it said "couldn't find host".

I had a live chat at this point and the guy said it was a matter of propagation.
    But the fact was it wasn't. It was because they took out or took back my account and I had no account there. No wonder ping couln't find the host...

The problem I have here are,

1: Why did I have to verify my account when all data was all correct?
    2: If they thought there was a fraud risk and thought "suspend" or "take back" my account, why didn't they e-mail me at least?
    3:Why didn't the live chat guy check my account when I first contacted me?

So, it is Not about propagation, but WHAT HOSTGATOR DID(or didn't) to me.

Thanks for the comment anyway
    Last edited by Teruki; 04-23-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    If his website was uploaded at both the old host and the new host and dns changed (propagation pending), there should not have been any downtime. Propagation would not have dropped the old dns at one time than come back later and pointed to the new settings.

So the question is, were his files uploaded to both old and new dns destination points during propagation time.
    Hi Dave B, thanks for your comment.
    YES my files were uploaded to both of the servers.That's why I wondered in the first place when my site looked down...
    The first live-chat guy said, even I uploaded files to both of the servers, it happens a lot when your site looks down.

He told me that and didn't check my account.
    If he had, he would have noticed it was not about propargation...

That's why I am mad

Anyway, thanks again for you comment!

Did you contact them yet?

Quote Originally Posted by nhpilot88
    Did you contact them yet?
    Yes, I did....As I wrote, my site is back already because I contacted them and they verified my credit card.

If you mean whether I contacted them to complain about this issue, no, I haven't.

I know when I bought my dedicated server at Hostgator the first day or two of getting it setup was a little rough. But after that it has all run very smooth and I am a happy HostGator customer.

Quote Originally Posted by tyatay
    I know when I bought my dedicated server at Hostgator the first day or two of getting it setup was a little rough. But after that it has all run very smooth and I am a happy HostGator customer.
    Good for you!
    I know their technical support and up-time is great and stuff.That's why I chose them in the first place(from all reputations).

But the beginning is very important, isn't it?
    I might have had a looong downtime if I hadn't contacted them...
    (And I had to contact them TWICE through the live-chat and then the phone)

Actually I had several hours of down time and it affected my business.

Yeah the begining is important, but if you are just transfering hosts I always try to leave the site on the old host, and not transfer the domain until I know everything is up and working on the new host, then I change DNS and it usually transfers over with little downtime. Although I did suffer some downtime and profit loss when moving to the dedicated, but it was partially my error this time.

Quote Originally Posted by tyatay
    Yeah the begining is important, but if you are just transfering hosts I always try to leave the site on the old host, and not transfer the domain until I know everything is up and working on the new host, then I change DNS and it usually transfers over with little downtime. Although I did suffer some downtime and profit loss when moving to the dedicated, but it was partially my error this time.
    Hi there
    Well I did made sure that my account was ready by uploading through my new IP and my username and it worked and that's why I changed DNS settings.
    My domain(or site) started to work on HG server and I was happy(It was in 4-5 hours after I signed up). I made sure that It works from other places or ISP using proxy servers. Most of them worked on the new server.

Then, a couple of hours later it went down.HG took out my account...I only wish they had contacted me before doing that. I'm no threat to the server whatsoever. Wouldn't have harmed to just keep the account untill they veryfy my credit card IF they had to do verify my account...

But As I wrote manytimes, my CC is Valid and there was nothing wrong with it...

Hi there
    Well I did made sure that my account was ready by uploading through my new IP and my username and it worked and that's why I changed DNS settings.
    My domain(or site) started to work on HG server and I was happy(It was in 4-5 hours after I signed up). I made sure that It works from other places or ISP using proxy servers. Most of them worked on the new server.

Then, a couple of hours later it went down.HG took out my account...I only wish they had contacted me before doing that. I'm no threat to the server whatsoever. Wouldn't have harmed to just keep the account untill they veryfy my credit card IF they had to do verify my account...

But As I wrote manytimes, my CC is Valid and there was nothing wrong with it...
    Teruki, what you're not understanding is that accessing your website via the welcome email and your IP address is wholly different from accessing your website via it's DNS name. There is no propagation time for IP addresses. There is for DNS names. So being able to access your website at ###.###.###.### is NOT THE SAME as being able to access it using www.website.com.

This all sounds to me like it was a propagation issue and NOT a Hostgator issue.

Quote Originally Posted by botchka
    Teruki, what you're not understanding is that accessing your website via the welcome email and your IP address is wholly different from accessing your website via it's DNS name. There is no propagation time for IP addresses. There is for DNS names. So being able to access your website at ###.###.###.### is NOT THE SAME as being able to access it using www.website.com.

This all sounds to me like it was a propagation issue and NOT a Hostgator issue.
    I DO understand the difference.
    DID YOU READ ALL WHAT I WROTE SO FAR?

I could upload the file in 20 minutes, that means I HAD MY ACCOUNT.
    My site on the new server wouldn't work untill it's propagated.
    I KNOW TAHT!!!

My site started to work on the new server after a couple of hours, I know it because I pinged it and it showed the new ip address.
    My site showed with small change I made for the new server and stuff.
    I even tried some proxy servers to check what the site looks from different places and most of them showed my new site!
    And only a few of them showed the site on the old server.

OK? At this point my site started to work on my new server.

And it went down after a couple of hours.

I KNOW somtimes it goes on and off during the propagation process but in that case it should show my site on the old server.

SO I contacted the live chat and he said it happens but I didn't think so.
    SO I contacted the live chat again and

THEY SAID IT IS STRANGE and they checked my account and
    THEY SAID it is happening because my account is taken away!!!

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

HOSTGATOR SAID THIS IS BECAUSE I HAD TO VERIFY MY ACCOUNT!!

After they verified my account, the site is up almost right away.

So, do you still think it is because of propagation?

Hi Jedito,
    yeah I understand what you mean.
    But I'm from Canada...and my CC is Canadian too and my address
    and everything I gave Hostgator is the same as CC ones.

I would have understood the process(manual verifying) if they just mentioned about it in the first auto e-mail.

And at leaset they could have e-mailed me when they stopped my account....

You know what I mean??
    And if the person that stole your credit card was from Canada and knew your address, you would be asking why they did not call to verify.

I can see your point that they should have called but I find verification should be standard across all hosts as a matter of security.

Please provide your ticket number? Suggesting you have to post here is ridiculous. Wht is not a hostgator support forum. I am the first person from hostgator to JUST now read this.

Your account was flagged as needing more verification and was deactivated until you contacted us. This is usually the case when we try calling someone that orders and the number doesn't work, or if it's of country we will sometimes email asking for more verification.

Quote Originally Posted by GafferSports
    And if the person that stole your credit card was from Canada and knew your address, you would be asking why they did not call to verify.

I can see your point that they should have called but I find verification should be standard across all hosts as a matter of security.
    Do they do that(manual verifying) to everybody?
    Does the same thing (account being stopped) happen to every new costomer if they don't veryfy their account by phone?
    Every coutomer at least outside of US?

Then, you are right. I shouldn't complain.

But shouldn't they mention about verification at the first point before setting up my account?
    Or at least e-mail me before stopping my account?

The thing is

They opened my account right away,
    didn't mention anything about verification in the first e-mail.

If the e-mail says like

"This account is only temporal and you have to call us to verify your account in 12 hours before us officially opening your account" or something like that, thenI would have called from myself right away.

Is there any reason why ONLY my account should be verified other than I'm from Canada?

Isn't there any chance of fraud if you are from US and using US credit card?

Do you see my point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast