Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need hosting recommendation

I'm looking to switch over my organization's site to a new host.

I'm currently going back and forth between bluehost.com and MDDHosting and would like some recommendations.

We'll be hosting at least 8-10 different sites and suspect the number should grow, but for the most part they'll be Wordpress run blogs/sites. I don't expect the total traffic to exceed more than a few hundred visits a day with maybe a hundred visits the average.

Anyone see a problem with using Blue Host for this? Would I be getting that better of service/speed with MDD?

Should I consider a completely different host?

Thanks

I suggest picking up a reseller account, which will let you create each site its own hosting account - that will be much easy to manage / backup ( looking from the admin side of this case ).

Never used these hosts you speak about, heard a lot about them, but i honestly cannot put my vote on either, did not use them.

see if they have this reseller option for you, if you already know them and feel good hosting with them , why not.

Quote Originally Posted by GrpSmglr View Post
    I'm looking to switch over my organization's site to a new host.

I'm currently going back and forth between bluehost.com and MDDHosting and would like some recommendations.

We'll be hosting at least 8-10 different sites and suspect the number should grow, but for the most part they'll be Wordpress run blogs/sites. I don't expect the total traffic to exceed more than a few hundred visits a day with maybe a hundred visits the average.

Anyone see a problem with using Blue Host for this? Would I be getting that better of service/speed with MDD?

Should I consider a completely different host?

Thanks
    No company can give you advice on another company without first hand experience and you probably don't want to be advised by a host's competitors. It is the generally accepted practice that you go through the reviews. Personally I don't see a problem with shared hosting but depending on the scope and nature of your business you might think of alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by HostingDirect24 View Post
    No company can give you advice on another company without first hand experience and you probably don't want to be advised by a host's competitors. It is the generally accepted practice that you go through the reviews. Personally I don't see a problem with shared hosting but depending on the scope and nature of your business you might think of alternatives.
    Agreed, though personally I feel MDD would provide you with better quality than BlueHost.

Definitely do a Google search for Bluehost reviews, you will find some useful information.

either host, or any other would would do for you - a few hundred visits a day isn't really that much. And service/speed quality is relative - what's good for me may be bad for you and vice versa - both hosts are reputable and since it doesn't seem like you would be having anything too heavy, you shouldn't have a problem with either.

and if you want different control panel for each site, then I'd also recommend a reseller account - much more convenient and less of a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynanix View Post
    Definitely do a Google search for Bluehost reviews, you will find some useful information.
    Even a search here on WebHostingTalk for any company will yield some eye-opening information in some cases.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

Is there a reason why you keep going back and forth on these two particular companies? They offer completely different plans. What's holding you back from signing up? Look up reviews on any particular host of your interest and make your decision based on the feedback. You should also determine your budget, and resource requirements to see which one matches you closely. Unlimited does not mean infinite usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynanix View Post
    Typically the type of results you are going to encounter with the search you mentioned would be canned "Top Ten Fake Review" web sites which are either directly funded by a hosting company or by an affiliate of the company that is making money. Such type of web sites flaunting all the exaggerated qualities of the web host with extraordinary claims and ratings in no way guarantees the host will provide even adequate service for your specific hosting needs.

IMO performing a specific search here at WHT will provide a much better indication of the quality of host than a blanket search on Google.

Quote Originally Posted by GrpSmglr View Post
    Anyone see a problem with using Blue Host for this?
    I would NOT recommend using Bluehost for the following reasons.

1) Even though Bluehost openly advertises "unlimited" hosting space, behind the scenes they have a cap of a 50,000 file (inode) limit. Every file on your account counts as an inode, including every email even if it is spam. With wanting to have 8 to 10 WordPress blogs you may very well encounter this cap quickly. Once you go over the 50,000 inode limit, Bluehost has been known to give you the boot to find a new web host. An example of such issues are described on the Bluehost forum. Many other hidden limits exist which Bluehost is shy about letting people know about until they run into such problems.

2) Bluehost offers one generic plan which has no upgrade path if you need additional resources. When you out grow Bluehost, you will be forced to find a new host.

3) Bluehost is constantly changing their TOS. If you sign up for a long term commitment today, you will not be guaranteed they will honor it through entire time you have paid for hosting. If Bluehost chooses to change their TOS midstream of a long term commitment with them and you cannot comply you very well might be asked to leave.

4) From my personal experience, Bluehost was not a quality host for my simple hosting needs. I experienced continual and excessive down time, SQL DB crashes, and unreliable email problems. With the three separate accounts each on a unique server something was always broken...nothing but on going problems while hosted with Bluehost.

I don't know about MDDhosting, but I've been using Hostmonster, which is just Bluehost with another name and a different exterior. You could go worse than them, but you can definitely find better hosting too. From my point of view, I'd rather try my luck with the "unknown" MDDhosting.

REseller account is not an option for someone who's not about to sell shared hosting. It does not give anything more than standard multi-domain hosting plan, part of any Shared Hosting service. If you want a web hosting service which will provide you with guaranteed resources that would be a virtual server.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    REseller account is not an option for someone who's not about to sell shared hosting. It does not give anything more than standard multi-domain hosting plan, part of any Shared Hosting service. If you want a web hosting service which will provide you with guaranteed resources that would be a virtual server.
    Not necessarily true. He would be able to have an individual control panel for each domain giving him more control over them separately as opposed to being all bunched together as add-on domains. It is easier to view stats and manage settings for each domain. There are a lot of people who don't sell hosting but have reseller accounts just for this purpose.

Dave

I only suggest find a host that you can see what you pay for. space and bandwidth wise. I would not suggest "unlimited hosts".

network solutions is good one i belive

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post

But considering he is going to be hosting multiple sites and so he don't get the boot for inode, bandwidth, etc. A reseller account can be a good thing. Most host that sell reseller plans give you so much Diskspace and Bandwidth. So as long as the Resource don't look it they are being oversold then you should never have to worry about the boot.

Honestly if you have multiple sites I'm guessing you have good adsense or something on them generating revenue. So why don't you get a cheap dedicated server with a single core processor and 1gb of ram. Then you can host all your sites you want for roughly 50-70 Bucks a month and have control over your server. But if you aren't generating any revenue then I suppose it may be better to stick with shared hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish74 View Post
    network solutions is good one i belive
    Personally I'd avoid Network Solutions like the plague.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Personally I'd avoid Network Solutions like the plague.

I don't want to hear that. I just took over managing a site that is hosted at Network Solutions. What's the issue with them?

If it's a shared hosts that you are looking for, i'll suggest you go for fatcow.

Quote Originally Posted by geomark View Post
    I don't want to hear that. I just took over managing a site that is hosted at Network Solutions. What's the issue with them?
    Just all-in-all a poor product/service/support when I was with them for a very brief time some time ago - they may have improved but I wouldn't ever give them a second chance.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Just all-in-all a poor product/service/support when I was with them for a very brief time some time ago - they may have improved but I wouldn't ever give them a second chance.
    Well, got my first taste of their support just now. Server went into a coma a little while ago (which I why I dropped by to see what kind of service to expect). I submitted a ticket and received a confirmation email that they will respond within one business day...wtf, they must be kidding, or did I not submit the right kind of ticket or something?

Quote Originally Posted by geomark View Post
    Well, got my first taste of their support just now. Server went into a coma a little while ago (which I why I dropped by to see what kind of service to expect). I submitted a ticket and received a confirmation email that they will respond within one business day...wtf, they must be kidding, or did I not submit the right kind of ticket or something?
    Sounds about right from what I remember, 24 to 48 hours or so if you're lucky.

Unbelievable. Server down again yesterday, for 6.5 hours. This time I called. All they would do is open another ticket, not have anyone look at it right away. 20 hours later tech support updates the ticket and says server is responding so ticket closed. Un-f'ing-believable.

Quote Originally Posted by afam4eva View Post
    If it's a shared hosts that you are looking for, i'll suggest you go for fatcow.
    Why do you suggest Fatcow? Have you personally used them? Your "top ten" list site you are promoting in your sig is hosted at internetvisa.net according to domaintools. If FatCow is so great why are you using internetvisa.net and not Fatcow?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Why do you suggest Fatcow? Have you personally used them? Your "top ten" list site you are promoting in your sig is hosted at internetvisa.net according to domaintools. If FatCow is so great why are you using internetvisa.net and not Fatcow?
    LOL!
    nomore fatcow now ok!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast