Best certifications to get?

I'm graduating from college so naturally I've been looking for jobs. I want to add something more to set my resume off in the event I can't find a job in the next couple of months. What are the most respected certificates for programming languages?

Thanks.

CompTIA has a good reputation.

Thanks for the heads up.

I never new there were certificates for programming languages, except some database stuff, ie MS SQL, Oracle. If you want to program - program build a portfolio and use your source code to show your stuff.

Originally posted by FlightLizard
    I never new there were certificates for programming languages, except some database stuff, ie MS SQL, Oracle. If you want to program - program build a portfolio and use your source code to show your stuff.
    What all would the portfolio include? (No one has ever mentioned seeing a portfolio).

Examples of what you can do, naturally. Choose a project and code it; I don't know what your knowledgebase is. If you've done web development, come up with something useful and do it. If you're more into writing applications, do that. Whatever you can do, write some code that proves you know what you're doing, be it HTML, PHP or assembly. You don't necessarily need to show employers your source code, but it's definitely a good idea to have some 'real world' projects under your belt.

It might be a good idea to pursue assiting an open source application in your area of interest. If you contribute a significant amount, it should be easy to get accreditation on the project's website, and it will give you some real-world team experience for your portfolio as well.

In short -- use your skills, and be able to show a potential employer that you have.

Thanks for the heads up. One last question. Should I mention a portfolio in my resume? Such as "Portfolio avaliable upon request" if a company doesn't specifically ask for one.

If you are applying for a job (which it sounds like you are doing)
    Write a cover letter
    Make a site that is only a online portfolio.
    Write a nice resume.

In your cover letter, give a link to your online portfolio, and attach your resume.

That is the professional way to do things.

And I think having a strong portfolio is so much more looked at than being certified in something. The only real certification that will count is a college degree depending on the job.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!