Leave Verio for eapps, dreamhost or hostforweb?

I'm considering moving off Verio, but I have two questions at the end of this post. First, the background:

-- Background:

Eight years ago I got a Best Internet account, which is now grandfathered at Verio:

- 25/month
    - FreeBSD
    - SSH
    - 200Megs storage/8G traffic
    - just one domain name
    - old version of java, but not JSP or servlets
    - PHP, Perl, etc.
    - (unlimited?) MySQL databases
    - SpamAssassin, raw log files, etc.
    - just one email box that catches everything
    - dedicated IP
    - free and toll-free 24/7 support

I don't fully understand what a VPS is, but I have a user Unix account rather than using a control panel. I don't have root access. I can install some things, but not those that require root access.

I also have an account at a servlet host, ****.com, to test a Tomcat/Axis/MySQL web service.

I run three MovableType blogs (Perl + MySQL), a static site, and a vanity domain or two off this account using ZoneEdit. That is, lonewacko.com -> tolstoy.com/lonewacko using ZE. That shows up in the user's address bar and it also affects google, so that's definitely a negative.

-- What I want:

Basically, I want what my Verio account has, but I also need at the very minimum 5 real domains, preferably as many as 20 just to be on the safe side. Or, say 10 real domains and 10 pointers. By real domain I mean site2.com looks and behaves exactly as if it were run on a different account than site1.com.

I'd also like to run web services off the same account. I've found three hosts that would seem to work: eapps, dreamhost or hostforweb, and I'm especially looking at eapps.

And, I'd like to pay the same price or less.

-- Questions:

1. I've never had a problem with downtime. It's not like my sites are "Enterprise Critical", but I don't want speed or availability issues. Will I notice a difference with any of those three hosts?

2. Are there other hosts that meet my requirements?

-- Notes:

I'm leaning towards eapps because they seem more java oriented than the others, and they also have more features. Their datacenter is at Sungard in Atlanta if that helps.

Verio tells me their VPS prices are going down this week, maybe to around 100/mo for their lowest plan. That's still too much.

I wouldn't leave Verio all at once, and I'd take advantage of any company's money back guarantee.

have you looked in the offers forum for any otrher hosts and also searched these and google on the hosts you are concidering.

if they have a free trial/moneyback off why not try the least oine you are concidering.

im sorry im not sure how these hosts are.
    E:magineHosts (Department Of E:magine Limited)
    emagine the possibilities
    Aaron - CTO, founder & Director Of Technical Support/Customer Support/Technology of E:magine Limited
    Windows,Linux, VPS Hosting environments

Hey,
    Always have to research the host before going with them. If you run a google or WHT search for any of the hosts, you will find either good/bad/mixed reviews.

Goodluck in your search

I've searched here and elsewhere...

In a way, I'm getting a bad deal: I'm sure I can find plans with similar features but with much more space and storage elsewhere. However, those probably won't be at companies like Verio, right? I realize that Verio has its downsides (as did Best), but at the same time it's part of a very large company and they're a Tier 1 backbone provider. So, perhaps it's not such a bad deal considering the reliability/responsibility issues.

I didn't find much here about eapps, but they have two favorable reviews at servlets.com. The other two get generally favorable reviews. But, none of them are as large as NTT/Verio, and none are Tier 1 providers.

To generalize question 1: Based on your experience, isn't moving from a Tier 1 backbone provider to a company that buys bandwidth from them or their competitors going to result in slower service? How does direct Verio service compare to service from companies that buy bandwidth from them or other similar companies?

Verio have a very good network and reputation, remember that if you move to someone else, they most likely wont be as reliable.

If you've got a mission critical site you're better off where you are really.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Re: Leave Verio for eapps, dreamhost or hostforweb?

Originally posted by Lonewacko_dot_com

Basically, I want what my Verio account has, but I also need at the very minimum 5 real domains, preferably as many as 20 just to be on the safe side. Or, say 10 real domains and 10 pointers. By real domain I mean site2.com looks and behaves exactly as if it were run on a different account than site1.com.
    I have used Dreamhost for over two years now and I think their "Code Monster" account will meet your needs. 15 full domains, 75 subdomains, and many pointers as your want. I'm not sure about web services, however, as I'm not sure what you are thinking of doing.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>