Should IE7 even be considered anymore?

I just wanted to bring up a conversation about IE7. Today I was coding up a site design, and after it was done, I started "debugging" the design. I noticed that ALL browsers, with the exception of IE (IE 7 notably) displayed the design correctly.

IE7 was a completely different story. CSS3 properties were broken (I used CSS3 Pie to remedy that), textarea BG's scrolled, alignments were wacky, and much more.

This all leads me to think -- is it even worth it to support IE7 anymore? I mean, IE6 for the most part has already been phased out, and Microsoft has started phasing out IE7 as of 2009. YET, we still continue to code for it even though most people use IE8! I don't get why Microsoft decided to use a custom draconian rendering engine for their browser, and couldn't use one of the more common ones like Gecko (FF) or ones used in Safari & Chrome!

I mean seriously, I'm about to start a web design gig, and I'm starting to think that putting twice the hours into correcting the design for >IE7 than it took to actually code the site isn't worth it!

It's insanely frustrating, what do you guys have to say about it?!

The site below suggests that 3.9% off all web browsers used currently are IE7:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp
    AMS Computer | Delivering Excellence - Providing web hosting since 1996!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | cPanel/WHM | Softaculous |
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee - Daily Backups

http://www.amscomputer.com |

W3Schools will skew toward a more tech-savvy crowd, given their target demographic. You'll probably find that number is a little higher within the general Web population. But anything over 1-2% needs to be addressed, if you have a site with any degree of traffic volume. If you have a site that gets 100,000 visitors per month and 1,000 can't use your site properly, that's a lot of people!

Now, if the site just looks a bit out-of-place and it's still completely usable, that's another matter, and probably isn't worth too much of a fuss. It depends entirely on the site owners and how much it matters to them.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design