green server that uses .5 amp or less?

Can anyone recommend a green server that uses .5 amp or less?

Dell Poweredge R200 usually fits in this requirement with a decent Spec.
    Craig Messer - www.veloxserv.co.uk
    VeloxServ Communications Ltd - Company Number: 07357707 | VAT Number: GB 119 7652 89
    UK Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Rackspace, Web Hosting & Managed Services
    Wolverhampton and London UK

I've custom built some boxes using VIA chips and mini-ITX motherboards/cases. The entire thing ran off of a 60watt power supply, which means it couldn't have pulled more than .5a on US AC current.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but the Dell R210s are fantastic for power usage. Ours is a Quad Core 2.4Ghz Xeon with 8GB of RAM and 2 X 1TB hard drives and according to our colo, it idles at 56W. When I had all 4 cores maxed out (Was compiling linux), the max I ever saw the power meter go was about 80W.

Cheers

Jonny
    Evorack

atom servers it's very green

Quote Originally Posted by adsenselabs View Post
    atom servers it's very green
    There was this huge thread about racking two servers in 1 U (half U each server) using Atom CPUs.

You could load up around 80~ odd atom servers in one rack with just 20 Amps.

Cant seem to find that thread for now.

You have quite a few choices for .5A servers. Unfortunately, many of the boards are not server quality. No ECC RAM, usually lower RAM (1-2GB) support, SATA bus can be a tad slower on them also.

Atom 230, 330, 410, 510 all will suffice. Several manufacturers put out mini itx boards with these. They are say 35-60 watts typically. Supermicro has an Atom build that is popular - two systems in 1U space.

VIA C7 CPUs, again mini itx form factor for these. They have a pretty peppy co-processor for crypto stuff - good for firewall and security servers.

Marvell has a 800Mhz CPU that is being used in various 1U storage solutions. It's RISC based and probably the lowest power usage of any semi main stream systems.

AMD Geode has the LX800 CPUs.

A single quad core L series Xeon CPU should be able to make it near this power envelope given you don't pack tons of 10k RPM drives in it.

Other ideas to minimize your power draw include:
    1. using an 80%+ power supply.
    2. using SSD or other non-spinning disk
    3. limiting the high speed fans found littering many servers.

If you are willing to fabricate a case the mini itx and similar mini boards can be mounted vertically in a chasis like a line card. In 5-6U height you can fit 30-50 of these in standard rack.

Those new Intel i3 systems use about 0.5 amps at and are far more bang for your $$ than Atom's are.

Atoms are around 0.25 amps.

We're deploying a lot of i3 based systems at the moment....we're very impressed with them.

Curious, Ramnet which i3 CPU you are using?

As per specs over on Wikipedia:

Clarkdale Core i3-533 73W

Arrandale Core i3-3xxM 35W

The i3 is a replacement for the Core Duo's BTW ...

The Arrandale seems like you should be able to pull off a 60W system, but the Clarkdales don't look like they will fit within that range...

Quote Originally Posted by pubcrawler View Post
    Curious, Ramnet which i3 CPU you are using?

As per specs over on Wikipedia:

Clarkdale Core i3-533 73W

Arrandale Core i3-3xxM 35W

The Arrandale seems like you should be able to pull off a 60W system, but the Clarkdales don't look like they will fit within that range...
    We're using i3-530's and i3-540's (Clarkdales)

They use around 0.4 amps idle and peak at around 0.6 amps under full load (eg: running unixbench) (0.8 amps under full load with hyperthreading enabled).

Under average load it hovers around 0.55 amps.

The above numbers are with Intel's H55 chipset, 8 Gigs of non-ecc DDR3-1333 and 2x high performance SATA drives inside a supermicro CSE-512L-260 (psu/case).

Obviously if you use less memory and lesser hard drives it'll be even lower on the system power use.

Here's a power graph for you from one of our cabinets:

http://ramnet.us/junk/apc-graph.png

That's 3x i3-530's, 1x i3-540, 1x atom 330, 10x performance hard drives (2 per system), 8 gigs of memory in each i3, 1 gig in the atom 330. And an old cisco 3550 layer 3 switch is using about 0.4 amps of power there as well.

3.5 amps for 4x i3's and 1x atom 330 fully loaded along with a heavy old cisco switch isn't bad at all power-wise.

Take out the power use of the hard drives and the cisco switch and each i3 is doing about 0.6 amps each - and nearly 0.1 of that is the big loud heavy duty chassis fan on the CSE-512L-260.

An i3-530 benches higher than a Q6600 fwiw. It's a very impressive system.

It may not always be under 0.5 amps for an entire server but it's very, very close to it under typical use.

I'm surprised nobody's brought up running a slightly beefier server on 220V (if you're looking in the US). Some datacenters can run 220V AC to your gear and that'll effectively slice your amperage usage in half.

Those Atoms are pretty damn nice though, a friend of mine sent me his half-depth 1U Atom to rack up, and it draws next to nothing. He's got Gentoo on it and it does a damn good job of building stuff.

will any buddy have experience of green hosting servers, Is this safe and provides full functionality and SaaS support.
    professionally managed Web hosting India, Host Company offer Reliable Web Hosting India at economic rate.

A watt is a watt

Quote Originally Posted by FT-James View Post
    I'm surprised nobody's brought up running a slightly beefier server on 220V (if you're looking in the US). Some datacenters can run 220V AC to your gear and that'll effectively slice your amperage usage in half.
    The voltage doesn't matter whatsoever. All that matters is how many watts your Atom (in this instance pulls). An Atom 330 pulls 28-50 watts depending on load and accessories.

So, let's look at the math of how electric works.

240V power at 1A = 240 watts
    120V power at 1A = 120 watts

.5 of A at 240V power = 120 watts
    .5 of A at 120V power = 60 watts

See it's all just scaled. No power savings what so ever.

Now if you want to really save power you need to look at gear that is direct DC powered. All computer inside run DC power, mainly 12V and 5V power. Every computer power supply converts the power down to DC power and does so with a lower efficiency, thus costing you watts every single hour on every single power supply that end up just as heat and thus require cooling.

PicoPSU's are in my opinion the best and most compact DC power supplies on the market. It's direct 12V power into the PSU - which can come from a converter block like typical LCD monitors use or it can be done for multiple low power computers from one standard desktop or server power supply or you can directly inject DC from the data center - which such is available. Of course, you can inject solar power, wind or other green generated on site power as well.

The benefit of DC directly is the lack of power losses on each and every power supply. The PicoPSU's are 95% efficient across their line. Compare that to regular power supplies and the industry still is trying to get 80% efficiency, many are even below there.

No difference at all

Quote Originally Posted by sanseo View Post
    will any buddy have experience of green hosting servers, Is this safe and provides full functionality and SaaS support.

Green servers are really no different than power hungry ones.

The only differences we can really show are:
    1. Lower CPU speeds in green gear.
    2. Support for less memory than typical power hungry server.
    3. Slower disk speeds and less drive connectors typically.

Now 1-3 can be just as true for many so called power hungry servers.

You should have 0 issues using power saving servers fully and for SaaS.

I look at this industry and the bias against low power stuff this way. Vast majority of all hosting is being done on shared servers that are overloaded with customers and underperforming. That's great ROI for the hosting company and can potentially be a good utilization of resources (total watts versus total dollars). But many such scenarios are just totally messy, hard on the customers, difficult to deal with admin wise, etc.

Further, most of that shared hosting is done with user plans that include lowly specs to the customer - < 10GB of disk, < 1GB of RAM, etc. You can do all that on low powered gear.

There is a business model I believe using super low power RISC processors as dedicated servers instead of selling people shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by pubcrawler
    See it's all just scaled. No power savings what so ever.

Now if you want to really save power you need to look at gear that is direct DC powered. All computer inside run DC power, mainly 12V and 5V power. Every computer power supply converts the power down to DC power and does so with a lower efficiency, thus costing you watts every single hour on every single power supply that end up just as heat and thus require cooling.

PicoPSU's are in my opinion the best and most compact DC power supplies on the market. It's direct 12V power into the PSU - which can come from a converter block like typical LCD monitors use or it can be done for multiple low power computers from one standard desktop or server power supply or you can directly inject DC from the data center - which such is available. Of course, you can inject solar power, wind or other green generated on site power as well.

The benefit of DC directly is the lack of power losses on each and every power supply. The PicoPSU's are 95% efficient across their line. Compare that to regular power supplies and the industry still is trying to get 80% efficiency, many are even below there.
    Your argument of a watt being a watt is perfectly logical -- but doesn't it hold true for PicoPSU's too? You still have to get from AC to DC somewhere (like via the power brick). So you are still converting AC-DC, but with two devices instead of one.

The DC->DC PicoPSU is 95% efficient, but how efficient is the AC-DC power brick for it? For arguments sake, if the power brick is 85% efficient, wouldn't you have an overall (combined) efficiency of around 80%? No better than an 80+ AC/DC PSU? I have thought of using PicoPSU's but their high cost and unproven(?) power savings has discouraged me.

Now if you had direct DC power (like you mentioned) I can imagine the benefit.
    Fork Networking - 1995-2020+
    Colocation & Dedicated Hosting
    West Coast, 99.999% uptime.
    <www.forked.net>

Quote Originally Posted by pubcrawler View Post
    Green servers are really no different than power hungry ones.

The only differences we can really show are:
    1. Lower CPU speeds in green gear.
    2. Support for less memory than typical power hungry server.
    3. Slower disk speeds and less drive connectors typically.
    The thing people tend to forget is that Green Computing isn't about using as little power as possible, it's about efficiency and not wasting power.

The power to performance ratio on Atom's are horrible. Sure, when compared to something ancient like a Pentium 4 the Atom looks good, but compare to anything even semi-modern and the Atom looks pathetic.

For the power usage of 3 Atom 330 systems I can get the computing power of a i7-950 which is what, 10x the computing cycles for only 3x the power usage?

Even a Core2 Q9550 is around 5x more efficient than the Atom.

The only case for the Atom being green is if you don't need the cpu cycles of something larger but need the flexibility of dedicated hardware. Otherwise you might as well do the earth a favor and get the more efficient larger system.

As far as non-x86 processors go, yes, there is a lot of efficiency with risc and mepis....but not being the de-facto platform does have it's limitations.

PicoPSU's rock...

Quote Originally Posted by apexio View Post
    Your argument of a watt being a watt is perfectly logical -- but doesn't it hold true for PicoPSU's too? You still have to get from AC to DC somewhere (like via the power brick). So you are still converting AC-DC, but with two devices instead of one.
    Well currently, you run AC power into a power supply that converts it down to DC power (12V and 5V mostly).

With a PICOPSU you are doing exactly the same thing, albeit more efficiently (92%+ efficiency I'd guess typically vs. aspiring to be 80% for most PSU's).

The big differences between a desktop and a PICOPSU are as follows:

* Desktop PSU converts AC power to DC 12V and 5V vs. PicoPSU which input side gets 12V and converts only to 5V DC. Less conversion certainly yields higher efficiency.

* Desktop PSUs are large space eaters. PicoPSU's plug right in 24 pin connector on motherboard.

* Desktop PSUs contain fans, which are noisy, failure prone, draw electric, generate heat (all inside a closed case). PicoPSU's are silent, no fans, very little power loss and heat gain.

The DC->DC PicoPSU is 95% efficient, but how efficient is the AC-DC power brick for it? For arguments sake, if the power brick is 85% efficient, wouldn't you have an overall (combined) efficiency of around 80%? No better than an 80+ AC/DC PSU? I have thought of using PicoPSU's but their high cost and unproven(?) power savings has discouraged me.
    The power bricks are indeed, junk and suspect. We've had a number of them fail in 24/7 operation. Finding a manufacturer with quality products versus the dumped Chinese crap we commonly see for sale is really an art form at this point. I think many are optimistically rated for 50,000 hour MTBF.

I haven't found any efficiency numbers on these blocks, but I know thermally, they seem to run hot and to me that's indicative of wasted energy and assuming lower efficiency than the PICO's and likely lower than the traditional PSUs.

There are a number of workarounds to these power blocks.

1. There are many standard data center DC converters. 48V is common it seems. I suspect there are 48V to 12V converters.

2. 48V is a standard storage size for battery backup systems inside. Any 120V APC 2000 watt above unit is typically a 48V battery wiring made up of 4 12V packs. So some of these units perhaps intended for other uses might output 12V natively.

3. 48V is a standard voltage for solar and wind power applications. There are hordes of controllers from that industry that allow you to input many varied voltages and set whatever output voltage you prefer. Obviously, you could wire a solar controller with 48V on the input side and 12V on the output side. These controllers are rather affordable for good gear ($200-400).

Now if you had direct DC power (like you mentioned) I can imagine the benefit.
    The best thing to do is get started and kick the tires on this gear. The Pico's can be inexpensive if you shop on Ebay. They show up sometimes at lower prices.

Here's a new 80 watt model shipped for < $30.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/picoPSU-80-80W-D...item1c151a4e41

Pick up a Kill-a-Watt LCD meter to test the electric draw (< $30). Should have one for customers and general debugging/sanity/cost management of electric.

Ideally, you already have a AC-DC power block donor to use for testing.

Build a low power system with the PicoPSU and test power numbers, then swap with normal PSU.

I highly encourage you to embark on testing these There is quite a bit more per se you can do since they are direct DC injected PSUs. For instance you can put a battery in-line - so a 12V battery for each computer (very cheap and very reliable distributed battery backup).

We do some similar off the wall things (for datacenter folks at least) with the Pico's. We have a desktop power supply converted into an RC pack charger (outputs 40A of 12V power from one converted desktop PSU) and we have it wired to power several mini itx low power boards (can probably power six to seven off on PSU).

Some basic electronics skills or the will to tinker and these PSUs can really be turned into very creative and cost effective solutions.

Direct DC power injection can be done cheapest with a 12V battery (car or deep cycle) and a trickle charger for the battery. That's where I got started