hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Cloud Hosting : Choosing the right CDN service provider for high traffic streaming site

Forum Jump

Choosing the right CDN service provider for high traffic streaming site

Reply Post New Thread In Cloud Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Question

Choosing the right CDN service provider for high traffic streaming site

Hi,

I need to find a CDN provider for our public facing photo/video sharing site with these requirements:

1) Provider must have private/public container for content: We need to store both public and private or password protected content in separate container (folder)

2) Provider must have client driver (API) for CRUD operations on CDN Contents: delete/get/push/edit files (C#) REST API for CRUD and other operations

3) Very competitive in pricing and data centers in ASIA (on top of US/EU)

4) Other requirements: Easy to work with i.e. easy to integrate and setup with Very fast Custom cdn url is nice to have (e.g. cdn.mycompany.com) Cheap (not looking for the most expensive ones)

Ultimately we will be a big customer in future. So trying to start with the right vendor. Hope your valuable suggestion will help me get there quickly.

Really appreciate for reading.

Thanks

Last edited by projapati; 02-24-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 04:28 AM
Web Hosting Master

RTMP or progressive download?

Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Have you looked into Akamai services?

Managed1.com - Affordable budget Fully Managed Hosting Services for individuals and business clients. Website Hosting. Domain Name management. High Availability Cloud servers - 99.9% Uptime, Self-Healing Failover, Load Balancing and Mirrored Backups.
Whisperdale.net - Internet Service Provider since 2007!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

HTTP Streaming. That is the normal way with HTML5, right?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by projapati View Post
Hi,

I need to find a CDN provider for our public facing photo/video sharing site with these requirements:

1) Provider must have private/public container for content: We need to store both public and private or password protected content in separate container (folder)

2) Provider must have client driver (API) for CRUD operations on CDN Contents: delete/get/push/edit files (C#) REST API for CRUD and other operations

3) Very competitive in pricing and data centers in ASIA (on top of US/EU)

4) Other requirements: Easy to work with i.e. easy to integrate and setup with Very fast Custom cdn url is nice to have (e.g. cdn.mycompany.com) Cheap (not looking for the most expensive ones)

Ultimately we will be a big customer in future. So trying to start with the right vendor. Hope your valuable suggestion will help me get there quickly.

Really appreciate for reading.

Thanks
CloudFront, HighWinds, and MaxCDN mostly fit your requirements. I'm don't know if they fit all of them, though. You're going to have to check with them.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Temporarily Suspended

I would go with rackspaces cloud files, everything is private unless you mark it public. And they use the Akamai network. They also provide API and a very high level of support.

It's also cheaper then alot of places out there. You only pay for bandwidth not storage.

I am a rackspace partner so if you want to PM if contact details I can put in the lead and they will call you. Your get a better deal if you go though a partner.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 PM

You might consider ScaleEngine, I don't think I'd classify them as "cheap", but they're cheaper than AWS and Rackspace and you *can* talk to a real person.

In my experience, however, very high bandwidth delivery of relatively large files works best if you roll your own. That is, CDNs are great, but I've yet to find one that can come even close to matching the prices you can get by going colo and buying bandwidth directly. Obviously, for very small files (image sprites, css, js, etc), as big CDN like Limelight, Akamai, Highwinds, Level3, etc, will give you a TON of locations and truly amazing delivery.

When delivering larger files, however, I frankly don't see the need for city-level POPs. Rather, 1-2 POPs in each geographic region suffice (the extra connection establishment time doesn't matter if you're transferring several 10s to 100s of MB). On the other hand, it takes a fair amount of outbound bandwidth before this makes sense.

Just my 2 cents.