Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting a hosting company...

I'm new to this and was wondering how pople began trheir hosting companies from scratch... Did you start off as a reseller:? If so who would be your number one pick to set up a resellers account with and what price did you pay?

I really need help with this. Im looking for someone with multiple plans and good bandwith for a good price. And someone who is reliable. Any ideas... suggestions.. Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks

I'm not too sure about a company that provides solid reseller hosting, I haven't played around too much in that area, though I can tell you reselling is a good place to start. The only struggles you may experience are those of support... when you have an issue that can only be fixed by and administrator... and the support team is sleeping, you're not going to be having a good time... really, you can get an OK server for a cheap price at places like www.nocster.com. Some of their servers are about the price of some reseller packages.

If you're less experienced with server administration, and you want to start up a little hosting company, then reselling is the way to go until you aquire a better understanding of how things work. Just keep in mind what I said about the trouble shooting, and fixing of errors... you aren't really in control of them as a reseller. Also... make sure to keep an eye out on the use of your resources (especially bandwidth)

Start with an VPS/VDS from example www.servint.com

These days it is easy to start as a Reseller and see if the industry is for you. When we began there was very little in the way of control panels, much less reseller accounts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

Thank you very much!

Hi,
    I agree start with the reseller package first and test the waters for several months and then see how you go...

I started as a reseller.

I funded my first server by selling annual packages to give me some advance cash flow.
    This was in the days when servers cost $500 a month.

The problem these days is that the market is saturated.
    Its very difficult to gain any significant market share without making a huge loss by spending too much on advertising.

I don't know what the answer is for people starting up now.
    Its certainly not as easy as it once was.

Most of our resellers are web designers.
    The ones who are actually reselling hosting find it very hard going.

Good luck.
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

Reselling is definateley the way to go, it's less time consuming then full webhosting and it's easier to maintain.
    You won't get calls at 2am, you don't have to know linux, you won't get spam reports, you don't need to analyze logs etc etc...
    We have around 200 resellers, and have had some since early 1996 and I don't think any of them have left to start a "real" webhosting company yet.
    Resellers = 100% dedication
    Webhosting = 1,000, 000% dedication

Hi

I agree that reselling is a great way to get started.

Best Wishes.

Thanks for your help!

For the thread starter...
    - I recommend you getting a VPS/VDS or a reseller account and work your way up until you feel the need to move to a dedicated server.

Originally posted by CharlotteHosting
    Reselling is definateley the way to go, it's less time consuming then full webhosting and it's easier to maintain.
    You won't get calls at 2am, you don't have to know linux, you won't get spam reports, you don't need to analyze logs etc etc...
    We have around 200 resellers, and have had some since early 1996 and I don't think any of them have left to start a "real" webhosting company yet.
    Resellers = 100% dedication
    Webhosting = 1,000, 000% dedication
    I was just curious and decided I would go take a look at your website and then I felt a little naive and had to go check on the dates for your domain.

--- extract from whois.sc/charlottewebhosting.com ---
    Name Server: NS1.CHARLOTTEWEBHOSTING.COM
    ICANN Registrar: DOMAINPEOPLE, INC.
    Created: 2002-03-15
    Expires: 2009-03-15
    --- end of extract ---

It states 2002 and you say "since early 1996", get what I am trying to say? I'm not exactly following you here.

Because when I registered it the time ran out in 2002 and I did not know it, and I had to reregister it. It has been continous registration since 2002.
    Archive.org works better

You should get a small reseller account from a good reliable company for around $10-$20 per month. See and learn how everything works, then when you have enough clients that altogether pay more then $100 a month and after you have gained some knowledge you can move on to a dedicated server.

It really is a hard market though. With lots of competitions. So you are going to have a difficult time starting out.

I hope I helped even though I skipped through about half of this thread. Good luck!
    WO Hostings - Great Hosting @ Affordable Prices.
    WO Forums - Where the people meet.

That does help, when did you start hosting?

Originally posted by CharlotteHosting
    Because when I registered it the time ran out in 2002 and I did not know it, and I had to reregister it. It has been continous registration since 2002.
    Archive.org works better
    Oh, ok, was curious and not accusing you of anything. I was too lazy to check archive.org and thought I'd rather get it from you.

G'Day!

Its ok, you were wrong.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/charlottewebhosting.com

All I am seeing is 2002, and NetNation pages, in fact, up to this time last year it was still showing Netnation.

I see, I see.

Originally posted by amd_duron
    http://web.archive.org/web/*/charlottewebhosting.com

All I am seeing is 2002, and NetNation pages, in fact, up to this time last year it was still showing Netnation.
    I WAS Netnation untill Brian and I split. Notice the domain register?
    Get real tired of morons trying to make people look bad on here

Well you said 1996, and that archive.org was right, you brought that upon yourself, I just checked and saw it as just 2002.

Id argue but it's really not even worth my comments Mr. AMD.

"High post count doesn't mean you know diddly."

Excellant and very true signature.

Regards,
    Rob Taylor.

that's how i'm starting out. i just recently signed up for a reseller package. i think it's a great idea to start out with a reseller account then once you've got enough customers and a good income, you could get your own servers.

You have a nice looking website.

I wouldn't necessarily say the website is that great as it's a Template Monster production. As starting up, even though finances can be tight as a low budget onlooker, I still recommend saving some money and getting something custom done. You can find pretty decent designs on this forum for $100+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast