VPS recommendation

I have never used a VPS before and never ran my own hosting. I have however used plenty of shared providers and I know linux fairly well as I run gameservers.

I am curious as to what type of specs and maybe a decent provider (I live in Hawaii) that would give me decent service and something I can learn on. I would like some sort of panel (Prefer: cPanel / DA) with a budget around $20>

Plan: Just to host a few gaming unit/clan websites and maybe offer some of my friends and Marines some free hosting and email.

Was the company you used before bad? If not - use them. They will not forbid you your own company.

I am wanting to get into a VPS for the learning experience mainly. I have want to learn how to run my own hosting. That is the reasoning for getting away from a shared host.

Please make sure to find a VPS hosting provider who do not charge for the OS reinstalls, because if you want to use the VPS for learning I'm sure that you will broke the OS installation couple of times before you get everything up and running and a reinstall will be required.
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

As I stated, I have a decent amount of knowledge compiling kernels, running game servers, map redirects, etc.. I dont see if being to hard to use apache or lighttpd and mysql

Then, check the WHT offers for VPS providers. I'm sure you will find something within your budget.
    :: AgeVPS.com ::
    :: Fully Managed OpenVZ and XEN VPS servers in Europe or USA ::

If you'd like cPanel and a reliable provider, I think that you will need to raise your budget.

Do you need the VPS managed or can you manage it yourself?
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

If you want a VPS just to learn off, I suggest going with BurstNET.com they have a $5.00 plan its affordable and great for learning off. They have good support and there techs would love to help you learn off the VPS.

You can check enotch and burst.net they have cheap vps that fits your price including the license for cPanel or DA
    Learning...

I suppose, $20 isn't enough for it. Just to get started.
    FREE ISPmanager panel
    Advanced VPS hosting
    www.JoinVPS.com

with that kind of budget you should probably start off with an reseller account, Then work your way up as you get clients.
    QuadraNet Enterprises | Providing Secure Infrastructure Solutions to modern businesses since 2001.
    QuadraNet is a globally recognized cloud solution provider ​with the Best-in-class responsive 24x7 customer support.​
    Locations: Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, New Jersey, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle & Amsterdam.
    Andrew Moore andrew.moore@quadranet.com Visit https://www.QuadraNet.com

Quote Originally Posted by izanuff View Post
    I have never used a VPS before and never ran my own hosting. I have however used plenty of shared providers and I know linux fairly well as I run gameservers.

I am curious as to what type of specs and maybe a decent provider (I live in Hawaii) that would give me decent service and something I can learn on. I would like some sort of panel (Prefer: cPanel / DA) with a budget around $20>

Plan: Just to host a few gaming unit/clan websites and maybe offer some of my friends and Marines some free hosting and email.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxFugleman View Post
    with that kind of budget you should probably start off with an reseller account, Then work your way up as you get clients.
    Did you even read the op's request. He does not want a reseller account, he wants a vps. If his budget is not enough ask him to increase it. But there are places that fits his budget so maybe you should let other people suggest instead of making rude comments.

Well you can get a VPS in that price.
    Burst.net has one for $5.95 + $12.95 for cPanel or less for DA.
    Even JoesDatacenter has one:
    http://joesdatacenter.com/
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by alons View Post
    Well you can get a VPS in that price.
    Burst.net has one for $5.95 + $12.95 for cPanel or less for DA.
    Even JoesDatacenter has one:
    http://joesdatacenter.com/
    Thank you alons.

After all there are places where the OP can get it within his budget. Just complaining the OP's budget is not good, does not help him.

try lowendbox.com i hope you will find cheap VPS under 5$

If you are going to use the virtual server you are about to purchase for testing, then try to find a cheaper plan without any control panels.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Quote Originally Posted by izanuff View Post

Howzit izanuff,

Local Web Host here, what island are you on? Too bad I don't know any local VPS providers or I would recommend them.

The problem with buying a VPS with a decent host with decent support is that you won't get much memory at your price/budget. You may not be able to do much with your VPS as the OS and control panel will take most of your available memory. Good luck with your search!

Aloha,
    Dave

Try proaxxs, I'm a happy client.

I would check the VPS advertising forum for offers with free management before you decide on a provider. That way you have guaranteed help if you hit any problems and you might well find something affordable too.