Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me pick the best web host

Hi, I'm a newbie and
    I've been reading alot in WHT and still looking which hosts has the highest rating. Iv'e learned that all those top 10's best host in google are mostly affiliated sites and have false ratings.

Can you guys help me pick which hosts stands best out of the rest or any other opinion you have in mind please?
    I'm currently looking for a "SHARED" hosting services to start and I've managed to pick 4 out of the list. BUt I want a GOOD Support.
    My budget is around like the one I listed here.

My list are:
    1.) Stablehost
    2.) Mddhosting
    3.) Hawkhost
    4.) Hostgator (but ive learned they are sold to EIG which is bad they say)

If I missed something, please do tell. This is the 4 ive gathered w/ high reputation so far in WHT.

Now what I want in a host is Support. NOT any technical, NOT billing, or NOT any other support that caters to their services ONLY. I'm talking about "PERSONAL" Support like the one in Hostgator. May it be live or email support. Support that caters to your questions like "what do I need to do after this?" , "how do you back-up?" , "what is a must thing to do inside your website" , "how to get mysite online" , "where do I..." Like that kind of personal questions.

Out of the 4, are there any other webhost im missing that stands high rated? with "Personal Support" ofcourse.

I believe Stablehost, Mddhosting doesnt have this kind of support. They do not cater Personal Support and they're awesome but not to a newbie like me. Knowledge base doesnt answer all my problems.
    Hawkhost (I havent gotten time to dig into them.)

A High Rated web host with High Support to guide a newbie like me would be perfect!
    Thank YOu!
    Last edited by Masterpuppets; 07-17-2012 at 02:49 PM.

I don't see why no host would not help work with you on questions like that. Those are very valid questions to be asked and answered.

If none of those hosts offer that type of personal support you may want to ask around and find a host that will work more closely to clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpuppets View Post
    Hi, I'm a newbie and
    I've been reading alot in WHT and still looking which hosts has the highest rating. Iv'e learned that all those top 10's best host in google are mostly affiliated sites and have false ratings.

Can you guys help me pick which hosts stands best out of the rest or any other opinion you have in mind please?
    I'm currently looking for a "SHARED" hosting services to start and I've managed to pick 4 out of the list. BUt I want a GOOD Support.
    My budget is around like the one I listed here.

My list are:
    1.) Stablehost
    2.) Mddhosting
    3.) Hawkhost
    4.) Hostgator (but ive learned they are sold to EIG which is bad they say)

If I missed something, please do tell. This is the 4 ive gathered w/ high reputation so far in WHT.

Now what I want in a host is Support. NOT any technical, NOT billing, or NOT any other support that caters to their services ONLY. I'm talking about "PERSONAL" Support like the one in Hostgator. May it be live or email support. Support that caters to your questions like "what do I need to do after this?" , "how do you back-up?" , "what is a must thing to do inside your website" , "how to get mysite online" , "where do I..." Like that kind of personal questions.

Out of the 4, are there any other webhost im missing that stands high rated? with "Personal Support" ofcourse.

I believe Stablehost, Mddhosting doesnt have this kind of support. They do not cater Personal Support and they're awesome but not to a newbie like me. Knowledge base doesnt answer all my problems.
    Hawkhost (I havent gotten time to dig into them.)

A High Rated web host with High Support to guide a newbie like me would be perfect!
    Thank YOu!
    Personal support means different things to everyone. Most hosting companies are not going to make changes to your website for you; however, all of them should be able explain how to use FTP. You may be better suited for managed shared hosting depending on your actual needs.
    Synersis Media | Boutique Technology Marketing Agency

Actually, I believe most of your basic questions can be answered on support FAQ and no live support needed. Unless you rely on hosting support heavily to setup your site, I think many hosts will be suitable to go.

When you say "what is a must thing to do inside your website" - what do you mean by this exactly?

Most of the smaller hosts (and a few of the well regarded larger ones - your shortlist there is pretty good!) will be willing to help you with the sort of questions you asked. Where you'll run into trouble is when you depend on your host for scripting/development issues - which is why I wonder what the question above means - could you rephrase perhaps?
    Script Shepherd - Pain-Free Vulnerability Management for Web Hosts
    No more messy cleanup tickets! Launching soon - sign up for the beta today to try us out.

When you say "what is a must thing to do inside your website" - what do you mean by this exactly?
    I dont literally mean exactly this. This is just an example. I just want a support that can help me set up my website and can help my newbie questions in the process of my making it. Is willing to guide me step by step. And If they dont have all this time, I can wait as long as they have the willingness to help.

Stablehost (live support sales only)
    Mddhosting (support only to their services)
    Hawkhost (idk yet)
    Hostgator (sold to EIG which hinders me from registering lol)

Is there any other host available out there with high reputation like of the 4 host I mentioned above? Like the support in live chat you get from Inmotion? (this is just an example, i know they rated bad though bec. how they run their services but their live chat support is awesome imo).

I'm looking such a host. Would cater and guide a newbie like me. Or also you maybe if you are. ^^
    Thank You for the replies. "wink"
    Last edited by Masterpuppets; 07-17-2012 at 10:57 PM.

If you're looking for personal support, I would highly recommend a smaller hosting provider. Most of these are:
    1. Resellers of bigger servers (meaning the quality of hosting you get isn't any worse than buying from the actual company)
    2. Levels 1-2 support run primarily by one person (the reseller). This means that you will likely be talking to the same tech every single time you need support, and they will definitely know what you need and how to help you.

You might think that would cause problems, but remember that if the smaller company's tech isn't able to help you out, they can always submit a ticket to whoever they are purchasing servers from (whether it be their server provided or a reseller accoutn) to help out. This is usually the case with the smaller companies, and I would highly recommend you look for one that has a minimum of an annual hosting/reseller plan ordered, so they don't disappear overnight. Chances are, you're gonna get your hosting for much cheaper as well (considering a lot of reseller hosts charge only enough to barely break even in order to try and gain a clientbase)

Go for Hostgator - they have managed more clients than the 3 above. How could they if they would be bad? EIG would not buy a misserable company anyway... They've done it so many times before that they are fed by now.

Quote Originally Posted by gasyoun View Post
    Go for Hostgator - they have managed more clients than the 3 above. How could they if they would be bad? EIG would not buy a misserable company anyway... They've done it so many times before that they are fed by now.
    Well, HostGator is supposed to "eat up the competition". Who's fed now?

Quote Originally Posted by gasyoun View Post
    Isn't hostgator a little too crowded already?

I believe all the 4 i've listed are definitely the best in terms of services they offer. But its difficult for a non-experience person like me to have NO live support/Personal Support at all. And the first 3 only gives support to their services they catered only and not to customer, they say something like "we cannot offer support out of our service area".. things like that. Forgive me if I'm a beginner and wants support attention but I believe we are all once a newbie. And I dont want to go to hostgator. Its my instinct telling me not to. xD
    Until I became a website-creator-savvy (or should i say that) I woudnt register to a Non-Customer-support web hosting services until then.

If you guys know any good providers that you'd like recommended that also has this high ratings & reputation just as the 4 listed above would be very helpful to everybody else who are also a newbie like me. I'm planning on making a website each hosted with Mddhosting and Stablehost after I meticulously find a good hosts as high as their ratings are BUT WITH live support/personal support.

Thank YOu so much for reading
    Last edited by Masterpuppets; 07-18-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Isn't hostgator a little too crowded already?

I believe all the 4 i've listed are definitely the best in terms of services they offer. But its difficult for a non-experience person like me to have NO live support/Personal Support. And I dont want to go to hostgator. Its my instinct telling me not to. xD
    Until I became a website-creator-savvy (or should i say that) I woudnt register to a Non-Customer-support web hosting services.

If you guys know any good providers that you'd like recommended that also has this high ratings & reputation just as the 4 listed above would be very helpful to everybody else who are also a newbie like me.

Thank YOu so much for reading
    Well the thing is, like I mentioned before, what you're asking for will NOT be found at a big company with high reputation and ratings. "Personal Support" is a very niche market, and only the smaller webhosts/companies can offer that to you. Also, don't be fooled by the 24/7 Live Chat support advertisements... That's just level 1 support, and the most they can do to help you is "Oh we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. I have created a support ticket for you and escalated this to our Technical Support Team..."

Really? If I wanted to open a ticket, I could have done that myself without waiting the Live Chat queue... The larger companies are doing Live Chat improperly, and if you do choose to go with one, I wish you luck in finding the personal support that you deserve!

there are thousands of good hosts, just pick one and go -- i think you are thinking to hard - look around WHT - find one that others say are good and go for it -
    good luck
    Rebel Networks
    Geek Powered Hosting - The Cloud Made Simple
    SuperHero 24 |7 | 365 Support
    Please Visit us @ www.rebelnetworks.com

Go with a company not so big and not so small

Well the thing is, like I mentioned before, what you're asking for will NOT be found at a big company with high reputation and ratings. "Personal Support" is a very niche market, and only the smaller webhosts/companies can offer that to you. Also, don't be fooled by the 24/7 Live Chat support advertisements... That's just level 1 support, and the most they can do to help you is "Oh we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. I have created a support ticket for you and escalated this to our Technical Support Team..."

Really? If I wanted to open a ticket, I could have done that myself without waiting the Live Chat queue... The larger companies are doing Live Chat improperly, and if you do choose to go with one, I wish you luck in finding the personal support that you deserve!
    Thank you for the heads up.
    But isn't stablehost, mddhosting, hawkhost belong to a company not so big and not so small? Do you have a suggestion in mind?

there are thousands of good hosts, just pick one and go -- i think you are thinking to hard - look around WHT - find one that others say are good and go for it -
    good luck
    Go with a company not so big and not so small
    Thanks for help guys. Could you guys give us a name to start looking into them. I'm sure the 4 ive listed are great already but lack this "personal" support. They're not suited for beginners as they do not offer support customer needs but support only to their services they offered. They dont offer support outside of their scope.

I/We are looking for this host that offers us this support we're needing.
    Exclude stablehost, mddhosting, hawkhost, hostgator for the time being.

I'm asking a high rated host with "personal support" you WHT people like to recommend.
    A specific name's of a host provider would be very much appreciated.

Thanks you so much! (:

Thank you for the heads up.
    But isn't stablehost, mddhosting, hawkhost belong to a company not so big and not so small? Do you have a suggestion in mind?

Thanks for help guys. Could you guys give us a name to start looking into them. I'm sure the 4 ive listed are great already but lack this "personal" support. They're not suited for beginners as they do not offer support customer needs but support only to their services they offered. They dont offer support outside of their scope.

I/We are looking for this host that offers us this support we're needing.
    Exclude stablehost, mddhosting, hawkhost, hostgator for the time being.

I'm asking a high rated host with "personal support" you WHT people like to recommend.
    A specific name's of a host provider would be very much appreciated.

Thanks you so much! (:
    The thing is, most of the users on this forum don't really have a specific recommendation as they run hosting services of their own. Certain users may be able to guide you in the right direction with personal experience, but your best bet is to do the following:

1. Look at the Shared Hosting Offers Section
    2. See if there are any reviews about a specific hosting company you are interested in.
    3. If you're satisfied with the reviews (remember, no reviews doesn't necessarily mean bad. Just newer), you should contact the sales department of the hosting provider.
    4. If you're satisfied with their answers/support, go ahead and host with them! (I might try for a 1-month term first in order to make sure the host is right for you. A lot of hosts offer huge discounts for the first month of hosting whether it be $.01, $.99 etc.)

HostGator is already on your list. The people who work at HG now is the same people before. So I don't think you should exclude them that easily.

Besides HG, I would recommend Site5. You should get the same culture with Site5. All the best with your hunt!
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

You should go with Hostgator, because still they have impressive support system, which is helpful for newbies, I don't think EIG takeover put any big imapct on their working system.
    ██ Hostingsute.com
    ██ Shared Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Hosting, Domain Names
    ██ 24x7 Support| 30 Days Money Back Guarantee | 30+ Script 1-Click Installer

I personally think that all hosts should take their time to help you with any issues, no matter if your website is broken or you have a broken heart (kidding ) but ya, web hosting is a service, and what is a service without being helpful. I personally would suggest picking a smaller company that is still trustworthy as they will have more time to help you out and maybe not even outsource as sometimes that dissolves quality in live support etc.

I also like smaller companies, and the recent HG acquisition does concern me. The MDDhosting might be a good choice for you. I also have been looking at A2 and Arvixe lately.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    My First Profitable Web App
    I am David DuVal

Quote Originally Posted by zenphase View Post
    I personally think that all hosts should take their time to help you with any issues, no matter if your website is broken or you have a broken heart (kidding ) but ya, web hosting is a service, and what is a service without being helpful. I personally would suggest picking a smaller company that is still trustworthy as they will have more time to help you out and maybe not even outsource as sometimes that dissolves quality in live support etc.
    Hehe. I would help any customer with a broken heart over live chat any day.

Hostgator, Godaddy. Dedicated/VPS server4you.

Cool

What you ask is something I think most hosts would/should do. The "newbie" questions are our most frequent support tickets even though we have extensive video tutorials and help files we still get the "how do I set up a new e-mail account?" or "how do I download a backup of my site?" type questions; both of which are covered in video tutorials and help files but we still "walk people through" the process if it's phone support, or answer in a ticket.
    I will mention some hosts may be like us in that our knowledgebase has limited information since the information is elsewhere. Our knowledgebase is more devoted to issues not answered in other videos or help files (like "how do I change my payment method?" or such that's not a part of website or general hosting/control panel help options.

But I would think our "newbie" clients like you are representative of most host's in the basic questions they ask, because they don't find the answer easily so it's quicker to call or submit a ticket. Soto me it's something reasonable for you to expect whoever you choose.
    (Be sure and go with a monthly payment plan until you are sure you like your choice)
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

I believe Stablehost, Mddhosting doesnt have this kind of support. They do not cater Personal Support and they're awesome but not to a newbie like me. Knowledge base doesnt answer all my problems.!
    Stablehost and MDDHosting are two of the most newbie-friendly hosts I've ever come across.

A friend of mine also uses Stablehost, and has asked some of the most asinine questions in the past. SH always responds with excellent answers that I've seen. (Well, 99% of the time... they gave one dumb answer once. But that's the fault of a single tech.)

Just remember hosts are there to provide hosting, not teach you how to run sites. If you want advice on running sites, ask at a forum like WHT, and leave the support desk alone. I do this, and I'll only ask support for help when public requests have failed. Often, I link to the post on the other site (WHT, wherever), and they respect the fact that I tried to find answers on my own, instead of going to them 100% of the time.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Like you guys said, I agree with smaller host, they tend to run and cater well. I look in HG, their prices are little bit pricy with lower disk space and bandwidth compare to the three ive listed respectively. And I'm not fond with bigger host. They tend to crack the eggs.

Stablehost and MDDHosting are two of the most newbie-friendly hosts I've ever come across.
    They're both the best, ^
    NOw I'm with Mddhosting and Stablehost. Trying to weigh things around ive found things to compare with customer support.

----Based on my experience. Mddhosting respond ticket's faster than Stablehost. In just about less than 5-10 minutes or even lesser you get a reply and not to mention this is anytime of the day, 24x7. (Amazing)

----Now on Stablehost, they answer a little bit bit behind writing tickets within 9am-9pm arizona their time. With team being online only at 9am-9pm I have O (zero) response time until the office hits back @ 9am starting time. (Still amazing based on alot of people voted here, there must be something im missing ) (well, I still find it odd for such a great host when there are no representative working passed over this 9am-9pm hit mark for support. Now I'm beginning to question stable host 24x7 said technical support.

----Now dont get me wrong, both hosts are excellent in terms of service.
    But Im giving +1 point to Mddhosting for better customer support.

UPdated:
    I'm still looking for great small hosts such as them. Please if you have any great recommendation don't hesitate to tell me and the people who are reading this.

I'm planning to host each website to each host I find best. So 1 site to 1 host. I want to experience all great host. And if ever, if by any chance the host screw up, I still have other great host to looked up to.

So, now i'm with:
    1.) MDDhosting (Superb, straight forward support)
    2.) Stablehost (I'm still trying to figure out their support)
    3.) ?
    4.) ?
    5.) ?

Thank You! (:
    Last edited by Masterpuppets; 07-23-2012 at 10:50 AM.

----Now on Stablehost, they answer a little bit bit behind writing tickets within 9am-9pm arizona their time. With team being online only at 9am-9pm I have O (zero) response time until the office hits back @ 9am starting time. (Still amazing based on alot of people voted here, there must be something im missing ) (well, I still find it odd for such a great host when there are no representative working passed over this 9am-9pm hit mark for support. Now I'm beginning to question stable host 24x7 said technical support.
    We answer all of our tickets in less then an hour, usually more like 5-10 minutes. Can you give me an example ticket number where we didn't get back to you within an hour so I can investigate?

Keep in mind this is only for technical support. If you open up a sales or billing issue during the middle of the night, you'll need to wait until the morning. Our hours are clearly posted on http://www.stablehost.com/contact-us.php

Please let us know ASAP!
    Last edited by Tyl3r; 07-23-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast