Password protect a folder/whole external hard drive?

How can I password protect my entire or just a folder of my external hard drive? I got a Hitachi Simpledrive 250 GB

TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/) is a free way to encrypt and password-protect drives.

+1 for TrueCrypt

Is there anything simpler? I don't need encryption. I just want to be able to go from computer to computer and input a password

Will I need to install the program on all computers I view the external hard drive on?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    Will I need to install the program on all computers I view the external hard drive on?
    One of the issues with the software mentioned was if a computer did not have the software the data could still be taken and used from other computers with no issue. So if it was stolen the software is useless.

Although that was when the program first came out so I am not sure about it now.

I would try it on one computer and just plug it into another and find out.

I would say bitlocker... but that requires you to have windows 7 ultimate... I know once you encrypt another windows 7 machine can read and write... I think (not sure since I've not tested with xp), that xp machines can only read....

Bitlocker is great, if you use windows 7... trucrypt sucked the life out of my computer... and had backup and restore issues... bitlocker was great with backups and restores -- yea, did a couple of restores in testing.

For a flash drive, I'd not think you would have to install anything to use trucrypt... although I could be wrong... I'd download and try.

Will have to say that I tested trucrypt 6 and not the new 7...

Lots of other tools out there... do a google search.... but I don't know anyone who claims to have cracked trucrypt and bitlocker (I know those claims of using memory or something... but honestly, if someone has physical control over your computer and it is turned on... and they are THAT good... lol is all I can say.)
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I would second, or third truecrypt. Very good piece of software indeed!

I have custom made ms-dos script, if you are interested please let me know, reply here. I won't charge for it, I will give you free of cost.
    ██ Website Hosting Mumbai | Web Hosting India
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed
    ██ cPanel-Softaculous Shared Hosting | 99.9% Uptime
    ██ sales[at]linkwayhosting.com | +91-9930-3388-67

To encrypt the entire hard drive, you can use BitLocker to do so if you are on Win 7 Ultimate or Enterprise; if you are on other Windows OS, you can utilize hard drive encryption program such as TrueCrypt. To protect specific folder in it, it's better to use compression program such as Winrar or folder password protection software such as Kakasoft Folder Protector.

Quote Originally Posted by DWebby View Post
    How can I password protect my entire or just a folder of my external hard drive? I got a Hitachi Simpledrive 250 GB
    I think troboy can help you. I had used this years ago and works fine without any need of software.

Quote Originally Posted by troboy View Post
    I have custom made ms-dos script, if you are interested please let me know, reply here. I won't charge for it, I will give you free of cost.
    Hello Troboy, can you please share this. Thanks in advance.

Use software provided by SANDISK which can encrypt all your HDD. Thats free too and comes by default in any SANDISK pendrive.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebeer View Post
    To encrypt the entire hard drive, you can use BitLocker to do so if you are on Win 7 Ultimate or Enterprise; if you are on other Windows OS, you can utilize hard drive encryption program such as TrueCrypt. To protect specific folder in it, it's better to use compression program such as Winrar or folder password protection software such as Kakasoft Folder Protector.
    Your first mistake was responding to an old thread... second was not actually knowing that truecrypt is no more:

http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure

WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues

This page exists only to help migrate existing data encrypted by TrueCrypt.

Migrating from TrueCrypt to BitLocker:
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!