Seven Years Review of cPanel/WHM

After having been using cPanel/WHM for 7+ years on our shared and some dedicated hosting platforms, I thought to write this quick review of what we think about it as a company, and my personal opinion.

We've been in the hosting business for long, and our focus has always been on reliability, quality and good customer service. We've used many of the popular control panels alike: Plesk, cPanel, Webmin, Ensim, H-Sphere.

By far, cPanel comes at top in terms of the things we're seeking. They were great 7 years ago, and they got ALOT better. It is one of the very few companies that actually get better as they age.

We used to run our servers on FreeBSD and we have had some compatibility issues with cPanel. They were also not very capable of resolving some FreeBSD issues (e.g. FBSD 6.1 x64, Apache 1.3, PHP4 failed after EZApache rebuild due to many sites...cPanel just blamed it on FBSD (which rightfully it was), but had no ways around it).

Therefore, if you're going with cPanel, I'd recommend using their recommended CentOS build. At least if errors happen, they most likely have seen it themselves.

At some time, we did have odd issues after upgrades, but these were quickly resolved. Their Stable cPanel branch is really now stable and we rarely have to intervene there. For the more adventure sysadmin, the Release branch will keep you interested.

Their support is outstanding. We've contacted them on Christmas day and got an answer within 15 minutes. Definitely 100% beats Plesk support. Parallels Plesk seems to make it their mission not to provide support and even their stable releases are quite buggy.

We love cPanel features, love the simplicity of the interface and the way reseller/useraccounts are structured. Love the many tweaks can be made. In fact, we like that cPanel is a full management solution but at the same time if you know what you're doing, you can customize it to your need.

You can use cPanel to setup a dedicated mail server only, or a LAMP and Mail, or mailing list, or FTP. It is very flexible and we love that about it.

Final word, for $30/mo. they're worth every penny. The add-on modules available from 3rd parties are great and geared towards providing peace of mind.

The only thing I'd like to see in the future (as long as it is built right) is a scaled out version of cPanel.

On the Windows platform, I hope they keep developing Enkompass to a level that matches cPanel under Unix systems.

Great job cPanel! You're our #1 choice unquestionable.
    Reliability • Performance • Integrity

In the long run its going to be cPanel and a Red Hat distro only.
    I think this is right though

cPanel is a great tool.
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.