Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to install VPS ?

Dear All, Kind Regards

I have bought Dell Optiplex 760 and i would like to in stall Virtual Private Server (VPS) on it.. can anybody please tell me step by step tutorial to install VPS in my computer and have my own webserver?

thx in advance

Any reason you need to make a vps on the box? Why not just use the whole box as a webserver?

Anyways, you can use vmware, virtualbox, proxmox, xenserver, etc etc, depending on what you have and what you need..

Google for each of those terms and you'll find tons of information.

to be honest i want to have/run my own cpanel+whm in server. and how could i install it via these mentioned software? are they manually install VPS for me? please more exploitation for me..!!!

thx

Quote Originally Posted by Pamir Rocker View Post
    to be honest i want to have/run my own cpanel+whm in server. and how could i install it via these mentioned software? are they manually install VPS for me? please more exploitation for me..!!!

thx
    You can just install cPanel by yourself without setting up your box as a vps node.

# wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest
    # sh latest

ip:2086
    login
    follow directions
    PROFIT!
    Jacob Wall

well.. i have windows 2003 Enterprise Edition installed on my box.. so from which source i can install Cpanel and WHM in my box? please some more details on it

thanks

Installing Cpanel on the server does not make it a virtual hosting environment. T do this, you need to install virtual server application. You can try VMware's Server 2;

http://www.vmware.com/beta/server/

Install that, then all you need to do is either create a VM server using your favor of Linux or download one that is already created images;

http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/

well.. i have windows 2003 Enterprise Edition installed on my box.. so from which source i can install Cpanel and WHM in my box? please some more details on it

thanks
    You would need to get either Windows Server 2008 *or* use VMWAre or another alternative.

Only linux & windows 2k8 is supported by cPanel. cPanel for 2k8 just came out so be careful using it.
    Jacob Wall

thanks
    Follow the linux's i've posted in my reply above this one. Download VMware server and install it and then download one of the Linux images and apply it in Vmware Server. Then you just SSH into the Linux server (Virtual Server that you've made) and install CPanel in there.

Once you do that, you've made your very first Cpanel hosted VM server.

Good Luck!

thank you so much guys for reply.

i am downloading them and will install.. and i will let you guys know about it
    I am downloading VMware Server 2 with CentOS 5.3. is it good for my dell system??? and is it call VPS server after i install them?

thx once agian and sorry for taking your time

Hello Pamir,

How did you make out with your VPS? Curious to see what you went with and how you made out.

Later.
    Keith Mitchell,Dedicated & Virtual Server Engineer,Hosting.com
    Check out my Technical Blog - Keithdmitchell.com

Recommend you to install proxmox on debian.

Dear KDMITCHELL

I have exams but i will install it this weekend for you.. thx you guys for help and support

i will update all once i done installations

Thx

hey guys, finally after 2 weeks i get time and install it.. now i am trying to install the cpanel but it give me the following error: resolving layer1.cpanel.net... failed: Name or service not known

can any body tell me how to solve this issue?

thanks in advance

hey guys, finally after 2 weeks i get time and install it.. now i am trying to install the cpanel but it give me the following error: resolving layer1.cpanel.net... failed: Name or service not known

thanks in advance
    # nano /etc/resolv.conf

(If that doesn't work do yum -y install nano)

Then make it say
    nameserver 4.2.2.2
    nameserver 4.2.2.3
    Jacob Wall

thanks in advance
    You can set your resolver in cpanel/whm. the ips should come from your provider or datacenter.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-ay View Post
    You can set your resolver in cpanel/whm. the ips should come from your provider or datacenter.
    I hope you noticed, he is not able to "download" the cpanel installer, so not sure what you mean by "set your resolver in cpanel/whm"

Quote Originally Posted by linuxissues View Post
    I hope you noticed, he is not able to "download" the cpanel installer, so not sure what you mean by "set your resolver in cpanel/whm"
    Doesn't make a difference. He should have valid name servers in the /etc/resolv.conf file, with or without cpanel. Make sure you do, if you don't, then this is why it's failing.

now i am trying to install the cpanel but it give me the following error: resolving layer1.cpanel.net... failed: Name or service not known

Quote Originally Posted by kdmitchell View Post
    Doesn't make a difference. He should have valid name servers in the /etc/resolv.conf file, with or without cpanel. Make sure you do, if you don't, then this is why it's failing.
    He installed his own vps, how do you know /etc/resolv.conf have any entries in it or not ? The error clearly indicates he does not have proper settings, so he is not going to be able to "install" cpanel before he fixes that.

What do you mean by -- "Doesn't make a difference"

but jeff-ay i am installing it in my own computer.. i have local ips and i want to run it in my local network.. so what do i need for it.. i mean do i need to put 2 more ips or only one is enough?

ooh i never knew there are already 3 more post

i install the plugin nona then i install the cpanel..

i did the same setting which Jacob Wall told me
    nano /etc/resolv.conf

i did that and put the

nameserver 4.2.2.2
    nameserver 4.2.2.3

and it work but.. is these ips 4.2.2.2-3 is my defualt ips?

as i write in my last reply i am installing cpanel in my own computer, i don't have any datacenter or live ips.. but i want to install it for my network.

please give me some more details

thanks

Follow Post 4 and 14 on this thread and you should be fine.

I dont think you can achieve much by setting this up on local IP's. You will need public ips to do any kind of hosting.

i did the same setting which Jacob Wall told me
    nano /etc/resolv.conf

i did that and put the

nameserver 4.2.2.2
    nameserver 4.2.2.3

and it work but.. is these ips 4.2.2.2-3 is my defualt ips?
    Those are just resolver IP's. You cannot use them as server IP's.
    They are not your default as well, just resolvers from Level3 that everyone* tends to use..

i know about it.. but i don't wanna host outside my network.. i want to host locally in my network users.

is this possible?

if yes how many ips do i need for it.. local ip

IP Configration for cpanel

Quote Originally Posted by linuxissues View Post
    Those are just resolver IP's. You cannot use them as server IP's. They are not your default as well, just resolvers from Level3 that everyone* tends to use..
    oh ok.. but can you tell me how to put my local ips ( my local ips are ) (192.168.1.XXX)

because i want to host locally in my network.

oh ok.. but can you tell me how to put my local ips ( my local ips are ) (192.168.1.XXX)

because i want to host locally in my network.
    OK, you want to host it on your local network, that is hosted on your server? As long as your IP's are routed correctly, you should be able to use your local network as well. But as it was mentioned, the Ips you were given were just the known resolving IPs that your host uses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast