Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheap KVM Over IP

Hello,
    Im looking for a cheap KVM over IP product,
    It needs to have BIOS level access so I can basiclly "use" the server/computer before the OS has even loaded.
    The price must be below $200 USD.

Could you please post products you know of?

Thanks,
    ~Jordan Windsor

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanlw View Post
    The price must be below $200 USD.

Could you please post products you know of?
    Man this question sure gets asked a lot - does anyone ever use the search feature?

You probably need to revise your wording from "must" to "I'd prefer." It's highly unlikely you'll get that price.

I purchased a Avocent SVIP 1020 for close to $300 off eBay but I was very fortunate to get that price. Generally you're looking at at least $450-$500 for a single port KVMoIP unit.

I'm pretty happy with the 1020 and think it's easily worth the money.

Stay away from all Startech units. They are truly awful.

So theres no real cheap solution?

EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

I would be willing to pay a higher price if it was going to last me a long time & the fact that I'm not sure if the DC would ship the hardware back to me after I leave them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanlw View Post
    I would be willing to pay a higher price if it was going to last me a long time & the fact that I'm not sure if the DC would ship the hardware back to me after I leave them.
    I don't think that would be any problem... I don't know of any reputable datacenter that wouldn't ship your hardware back to you if you cancel; although you would most likely have to cover the shipping fees.

As for the KVM/IP; check out craigslist, thats where I picked up the one I have:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=375082

Its a $630 unit that I was able to pickup on craigslist for $250, and so far its worked great!
    -steve

Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    I was going to suggest those, they're about as cheap as they get, but are lacking in features. It is a good low end KVMoIP though.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Any idea about the prices?
    RemarkableCloud.com | Managed Cloud Servers | High-Performance WordPress Hosting
    Reseller Packaged | Cloud Hosting | Shared Hosting

Well if they dont ship the hardware back to you, you know what to do. And most datacenters will if you ask, nicely .

There are somethings where cheap makes, like taking mass transit to NYC (PATH $1.50) rather than taking you car (Parking $40/hr). But KVMoIP is something where you should not try to go "cheap".

I'd recommend brands like Raritan (my fav) or Avocent.

Raritan is beyond your reach if you want cheap, but I found one relating to avocent on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Avocent-Swit...QQcmdZViewItem
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Quote Originally Posted by Datacenter1 View Post
    Any idea about the prices?
    $380 or so.

USB Model: http://www.provantage.com/lantronix-...1~7LANB01T.htm
    PS2 Model: http://www.provantage.com/lantronix-...1~7LANB01R.htm

One advantage with the Spider is the KVM cables are part of the unit, so you don't need to buy extra cables or worry about losing them. Downside is, if say the VGA cable breaks, a pin breaks, etc. you'd need to get a whole new unit.

Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

So a wise thing to do is to get a 1-3 feet VGA cable to plug at the end of the KVM's VGA port. They are not all that expensive to protect a $400 item.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Aren't those just for 1 system?

Waste of money in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh-rao View Post

So for under $400 there is a multiple server KVM over IP solution? The most cost effective one I have thought of is buying a standard 24 port KVM unit and plugging in a single port KVMoIP into it, much more cost effective, in most cases, than a larger KVMoIP device.

Also, the OP only indicated needing it for an individual device, no plurals, so then why waste the money on a larger unit?

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh-rao View Post

Sadly, $200-400 per KVMoIP port is the going rate for a quality unit regardless of if you buy a unit that only works on a single server or one with 16+ ports (Although the larger models tend to give a slightly lower cost per port).

Make sure you add up the total cost when comparing KVMoIP units such as cabling or other attachments. The Raritans which I like are great, but you can end up paying $2800 new for the KVMoIP unit, then another $80-120 per server for the SIP attachment. It adds up quickly.

BTW, anyone have a screenshot of the Securelinx Spider control panel/console screen, or know how it compares to Avocent/Raritan unit console clients?

I am looking around for a couple single server units to throw on some Dell PE1850's, just don't want to get stuck with a PoS unit, if I wanted that I could pull some DRAC's.

Quote Originally Posted by sshepherd View Post
    BTW, anyone have a screenshot of the Securelinx Spider control panel/console screen, or know how it compares to Avocent/Raritan unit console clients?

I am looking around for a couple single server units to throw on some Dell PE1850's, just don't want to get stuck with a PoS unit, if I wanted that I could pull some DRAC's.
    it is a pretty basic interface, and for the kVMoIP you use a web based Java app. We purchased one and haven't gotten any since as we prefer beng able to control it through VNC, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    I was going to suggest those, they're about as cheap as they get, but are lacking in features. It is a good low end KVMoIP though.
    Karl can you explain what features they're lacking? I was looking into purchasing these units and would really like to hear your feedback on them.

Does anyone has experience with IOGEAR GCN1000?

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    So for under $400 there is a multiple server KVM over IP solution? The most cost effective one I have thought of is buying a standard 24 port KVM unit and plugging in a single port KVMoIP into it, much more cost effective, in most cases, than a larger KVMoIP device.

This is exactly what we do with our KVM. We use a AVOCENT SwitchView connected to our LCD Console with Integrated KVM Switch. The KVM unit has a dual console connector which allows the trays keyboard / video / mouse to be hooked up as well as the SwitchView at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
    Karl can you explain what features they're lacking? I was looking into purchasing these units and would really like to hear your feedback on them.
    I did find a review on the unit and one of the issues with it was if you shutdown the server and only have the USB powered unit attached, the unit will be powered off as well until someone on-site starts the server back up. Or you can buy a backup power-adapter for the primary unit to avoid this.

yuck

Just a note: this is nice - except when you reboot.
    The spider takes some time to come back up.
    The power comes from the server it is plugged into... so if you kill that server - the spiders power goes off - and then you have to wait for it to come back online...

What stinks is - by that time your way past the bios screen...

We see this w/ some but not all the spiders... your mileage may vary....
    we ended up adding the usb cable into a second server... works - go figure...

Typo3USA - Typo3 USA Template, Extension Development and Hosting.

PhilaNetworks.com - DataCenter Management, Hosting & Remote Hands across the Delaware Valley.

You can get good ones from Provantage around $200.. but make sure they are compatible with your computer... The liks have been posted alreday.

bought a $350 KVM-over-IP and a $70 KVM device at Provantage, they only shipped the $70 KVM device to me.

Quote Originally Posted by meyu View Post
    bought a $350 KVM-over-IP and a $70 KVM device at Provantage, they only shipped the $70 KVM device to me.
    They may have shipped them separately and/or the $350 unit may be a back-order/custom order item. I've never had an issue of any kind with Provantage and we purchase from them regularly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast