Exclamation Should I have a forum in my web hosting site ?

Recently I add a public forum in my web hosting site. Though I install the forum but I am confused about the importance of a forum in my hosting site. Can anybody advice me what I should do ?

No it is pointless. Usually such forums are not active and the clients may visit it only for complaints.
    If you want to add something to your site, it would be better to add a blog which you have to update it often, otherwise do not do it too.
    NetDynamics LLC - One-stop Solution for Hosting Needs
    We love Backups! Backup storage for your server backups

Focus on support ticket and you should be fine.

Remember, with forum, this can turn into support forum and it's very messy.

If you have a dedicated staff to handle it, then it is your call.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Agreed with both of the above posts. It turns into a forum of complaints and support. If a potential client views the forums, all they're going to see is the worst of things.

Look at it this way: if your forum is empty, what does that say about you as a company? A customer will take one look at your forum and decide to go elsewhere.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

An empty forum will do more more harm than good; unless you have a sizable community, I would advise against it.

this is some great advice, i was thinking of forums as well,but after seeing this I believe im not interested in it.

Forums are only a viable solution for bigger companies and those with most active communities. But, as this is not the case with most, you risk keeping an empty forum, getting an occasional post. And when someone new finally comes, all they will see is spiderwebs and tumbleweed... Would you participate in such a community? I know I wouldn't. Apart from that I don't really feel that using it for customer help is really an issue. Even better, you can show all that you are efficient in handling such requests. If a client wants to bug you, they will find a way even without a forum (social networks for example).

Solve the problem with populating it and its a pretty good addition to your services, people will surely appreciate it.
    www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
    Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.

Its okay to create a forum page, why are you confused?

I prefer blogs with a comment option.

Forums for web hosts are generally inactive, and not appealing to new users until they are active and have a good contribution base.
    FEARData - Coming soon!

Hi,

Yes, its a really good sign of reliable web hosting provider. Your client can post on your forum and you can also make any announcements like offers and limited offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher ross View Post
    Hi,

Yes, its a really good sign of reliable web hosting provider. Your client can post on your forum and you can also make any announcements like offers and limited offers.
    And the bad points?
    The time it takes to create and populate a forum.
    Having a forum doesn't necessarily put across the host is reliable.
    The amount of extra marketing needed just to get forum signups.
    The lack of interest most people will have in an empty forum.
    The open portal for public complaints - which if deleted will be noticed.

Once you get 500+ active & happy clients, that could be a good time to introduce a forum to them, but you'd then have to control PR and general customer service if you were to be closely involved with the forum, or it could just be left to members but it wouldn't take much to become an official "flame (host)" forum.
    FEARData - Coming soon!

I don't see a need for a forum if your running a web hosting business it won't be good in any way other than wasting a lot of time and probably money trying to get it going etc. People would maybe only post once or twice then disappear into the web lol. They will have a lot more other forums that will steal the interests they have in it.

Your better off trying to implement something else. A lot of hosts who have forums if you do visit the forums you'll see they aren't as poping as any forum would be. And if your thinking about providing support through forums don't it'll steer your viewers away they prob would like to pay for a service where if they have an issue with it they can directly call , email or contact you through contact form or support ticket not PM Or by creating a forum thread.

Also having a forum will open you up to hackers depending on what software you use they can find wholes that aren't upto date or patched and then next thing you know you'll have a back door for a hacker you don't know about or your whole server being compremized.

I agree with all the above forums lead to more work. Instead of clients opening tickets they post on the forum. Diverting your attention else where. Unless you have a big client base and other customers answer questions i dont think it is needed. But if you want a forum then that is up to you!! Happy hosting
    Dean Walker - TheBritishGeek
    IT Support - Telecoms - Hosting - Digital
    UK Based - UK Servers - UK Support
    TheBritishGeek.co.uk