Thread: Server hacking

Server hacking

My server was hacked by "Tunisian Hacker"

Some one here can help me???

When I discovery, I restore all backups accounts and I put the tunisiam IP range in firewall. But today new client contact with me reporting new hacked.

Some one can help me???

what type of server is it? what are you running on it?
    █ Lebnene
    █ Consultant: Colocation, Cloud & Dedicated Servers

Did you change all your passwords and run rootkit hunter? What kind of hack?

What software are you running on it? Some of your software probably has a vulnerability in it, allowing the hacker to get in. Restoring a backup would have restored the vulnerability.
    Akliz, Inc.
    www.akliz.net | 617-475-3266

Guys,

Is a linux server with cPanel/WHM running apache, php, mySQL.

I will run rootkit hunter

You may also wanna install CSF - www.configserver.com

I am using APF + BFD. But I will consider to change to CSF also.

Thanks

Do you have any idea how much time has passed till you discovered it's actually hacked ?

Quote Originally Posted by vpsbackup View Post
    You may also wanna install CSF - www.configserver.com
    That's not the solution here. Firewalling someone who keeps gaining access to your server is like putting a bandaid on a sinking ship. You need to plug the hole once and for all!

@Formas:

Did every site get hacked or only a few sites? That's very important in determining your next course of action. If every site on your server was hacked, it's probable that you were "rooted" in which case your next course of action is to reload the operating system, restore /home from backup and hire a server management company to provide ongoing security updating.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Was it specific website which got hacked? If yes, find out ftp logs. Also, install suPHP.
    You can take following steps to prevent your server to be hacked in future.
    1. Secure /tmp
    2. Install rkhunter & chkrootkit.
    3. Disable root logins & ssh port.

Best way to prevent hacking to be happened in future is to know the way it hacked now and secure your server accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by InoxHost View Post
    Was it specific website which got hacked? If yes, find out ftp logs. Also, install suPHP.
    You can take following steps to prevent your server to be hacked in future.
    1. Secure /tmp
    2. Install rkhunter & chkrootkit.
    3. Disable root logins & ssh port.

Best way to prevent hacking to be happened in future is to know the way it hacked now and secure your server accordingly.
    In addition to tip 1, symlink /var/tmp to /tmp.
    Also make sure you secure /dev/shm.

Hi,

There are different types of hacking. Have you found the hacking technique used by the hacker?

Then only I can tell you a solution. Installing a firewall is a must.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by peterbra View Post
    Do you have any idea how much time has passed till you discovered it's actually hacked ?

1 or 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    That's not the solution here. Firewalling someone who keeps gaining access to your server is like putting a bandaid on a sinking ship. You need to plug the hole once and for all!

@Formas:

Did every site get hacked or only a few sites? That's very important in determining your next course of action. If every site on your server was hacked, it's probable that you were "rooted" in which case your next course of action is to reload the operating system, restore /home from backup and hire a server management company to provide ongoing security updating.

Hi. The server was not "rooted". I am sure about that. I have 400 accounts (sites). Only 30 sites get hacked.

At now I am running ClamAV and maldetto see what i will find.

Guys,

I can to see: hacker access and upload file using file manager of Cpanel. I Know because I see hacker IP and actions in "/usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log".

But I dont know HOW hacker get access to file manager of cPanel. This is the question that I need discovery.

hi,

is it necessary to install afd + bfd when you already have csf + mod_security ?

Hi,

Do you mean APF + BFD?....If so, I will say CSF + LFD is better than APF + BFD.

sorry typo error...

so, u were saying there is no need to install apf + bfd if we already installed csf + lfd right ?

yeps....I am correct...Let someone else make a post if they disagrees
    I work in Linux for a living, Going from windows to Linux is like buying a Rolls Royce for zero dollers

No need? CSF states it's incompatible for use together with APF!
    So better not do, it's highly unrecommended (because both do firewall rules, which can overlap).

Besides that: both use iptables (ip6tables also for CSF), and so on the defense level should be exactly the same if you configure it properly.

ok thanks..

These look like application level attacks so a network firewall is not going to help much – you might want to look at putting something more robust in front of your websites.
    You can also restrict access to the cPanel console only to IP addresses that you come from.

Arrow

Hi,
    And you have changed the FTP password on all accounts in question, as well as checking all of your computers to see if they harbor malware (try malwarebytes.org for free malware checking software).

Best Wishes,
    Jim Walker
    The Hack Repair Guy

Is your O/S kernel patched and up to date? There have been some nasty root exploits. 30 accounts is enough that you are likely to have been rooted, unfrotunately; possibly they were just smart enough not to tip yuou off by exploiting every account on the server. If there's nothing in common between all 30 accounts, then it's even more likely you have been rooted.

Except of course if you weren't running suphp (or similar better performer) in which case compromising one account could have given them access to all the other accounts.

Probably worth hiring someone like configserver.com to harden your server and get rid of the intruder. Up to you, but you're currently stumbling around in the dark and this is expert territory, there's no way a newbie can recover from this. That's not bad, it's just a statement on the way it is.

one more thing - you can check for ftp intrusions via the following - a little primitive but does the job:

grep ftp /var/log/messages | less

look for uploaded files in the hacked accounts; to check a specific account 'victim1' try:

grep victim1 /var/log/messages | grep ftp | less