Current nightmare with Razor Servers need suggestions

Its unfortunate that I have to post this here, but I can not resolve this by myself right now and would like some opinions/suggestions. To keep the story short I was one of the first customers (I believe) at Razor Servers when they first started. I colocated a brand new 2U server. Everything seemed to go fine until I put in a cancellation request in December. Note my agreement/contract is over so I am not breaking anything. I gave a good 2 weeks + cancellation notice and I was promised that my server would be shipped out first week of January. Its currently 2-19 now and all my calls/tickets posts are being ignored now. I finally got ahold of Matt Kelly last week (The owner) and he simply acted like he did not know what was going on when he told me previously late January that my server was in his office and was going to be shipped soon. His exact message to me

Duo,

Sending the server back is completely my fault. It's sitting here in my
    office. I'll take it over to UPS tommorow and get it sent out. My apologies
    for the delay.
    --
    Matt Kelly
    Razor Servers

I am constantly calling him, but with no luck. Obviously the messages are getting to him. Its extremely dissapointing that this has to happen as Matt has been easy to deal with in the past. Razor Servers held up at least for me fairly well with no large issues. This has been a nightmare for the past 2 months. I've notified my lawyer to seek possible legal options available. This is also a farily expensive server and I just want it back the way I sent it. I also requested that the package be insured but by the looks of it, that won't be happening. I hope Matt will come through, because this is a ridiculous thing for me to go through. If anyone has any past experiences please jump in on this. Thanks in advance

At this point I would say have the lawyer send him a "friendly" reminder. Also if you plan to have him ship it I would send a ups pickup request and handle it from your end, sounds like you probably should not rely on him to professionally package and insure your products.

Avail, the ups pickup is a great idea. This does mean the box would have to be ready/packed though I assume, unless your stating that UPS has "pickup" packaging services also? If this is true this is definately a step forward however this would still mean the cooperation of Matt Kelly/Razor Servers. I've had instances with a seperate incident (not hosting related) where the package was never "ready" to be picked up at the company and the other company always pushed it back. Thanks again.

it should be an option through ups stores to have their packaging and materials used, I have got into the habit of when shipping a server that does not have it's original box I have them do it just in case there is an issue then they are they ones who packaged it. The alternative would be to mail a box to the location and have him use that

maybe if you mail him a box with the lawyer note attached he might take the hint

The general process for returning servers is to ship a box for collection which contains the necessary foam ends to slot on each end of the server and then package it up. I've not had a problem doing this in the past for having boxes returned from datacentres, etc. Granted the datacentre's we use don't try and steal our hardware however!

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

I am going to give Matt Kelly a last set of notifications. Its extremely unfortunate that he has to be so shady about this. The worst thing to do is ignore the customers at all available contacts.

That indeed sounds like a nightmare, it is something i would be worried about myself if i ever went to colo a box.

Hope you get it sorted, keep us update!

I've been hearing a lot of similar things lately. 99% of the time, these occur when the company which collocates is actually a reseller of the datacenter and not actually someone who owns the datacenter.

I guess the lesson here is to always colocate directly with the datacetner, even if its a little expensive. Definitely not worth losing your hardware over it.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Please keep us posted on the outcome of this.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRaul
    Please keep us posted on the outcome of this.
    We can image how these things will eventually wind up, really unfortunate.

Though we do hope for the best
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha
    I've been hearing a lot of similar things lately. 99% of the time, these occur when the company which collocates is actually a reseller of the datacenter and not actually someone who owns the datacenter.

I guess the lesson here is to always colocate directly with the datacetner, even if its a little expensive. Definitely not worth losing your hardware over it.

Not to argue with Anantha's statement, but I just want to add that I think it has to do more with the people that is running the business. If they are responsible/honest, then it doesn't matter if they are a reseller or not. If someone is not reliable, then even if they own the DC, you can still have late responses. (mind you, if you own the DC, you will probably not want to get sued just for forgetting/ignoring to return a server since your business will be at risk). If it's just a small reseller, then they can just disappear I guess..

Anyways, I hope you get your server back soon

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    Granted the datacentre's we use don't try and steal our hardware however!
    I had this problem before but with complex.net Opened up a case of theft with the FBI online service. I wrote my server off though!

If they are dodging your calls and emails I would bet they "misplaced" your machine and are scrambling to figure out where it is. If you were one of their first customers they might not have had a good labeling scheme or noc management tool in place to keep track of where everything is located. If the guy truly had your server in his office then I have no idea why you wouldnt have it in your possession by now. Regardless of what the situation is they should come clean, reply to your calls/emails and let you know what they are going to do for you. Where are these guys located? If they aren't returning your property I am pretty sure that is theft. Are you sure you dont owe them any money?
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

I do believe this was sent back, as usual on WHT someone starts a post but never updates it with the outcome. Unfortunately this was just an error on our part in getting the server sent back. No excuses here, we just took a long time to send it back.

As a good faith gesture we did not charge Duo for the packaging and shipping due to the delay.

Also as commented about resellers not being able to get into the data center to get their hardware, that is not us. We direct lease the space from the building and all our network equipment and servers are our own.

Once again, my apologies on the delay in getting the server shipped back. Considering we had zero service issues for the year you were with us I feel bad that the delay at the end happened.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by Everyday
    As a good faith gesture we did not charge Duo for the packaging and shipping due to the delay.
    That was so nice of you! (yes that is the sarcastic smilie)

That was so nice of you!
    Thanks, we thought so as well.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged

Quote Originally Posted by nnop
    That was so nice of you! (yes that is the sarcastic smilie)
    Least it got sorted and the provider said "Yup its our fault". Its a lot more than some people on here do where they try to avoid any sort of blame in any way shape or form
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Least it got sorted and the provider said "Yup its our fault". Its a lot more than some people on here do where they try to avoid any sort of blame in any way shape or form
    Thanks. We're an honest company and when we make a mistake we have no problem admitting that. It's unfortunate this happened but I hope with some of the process changes we've made this can avoided in the future.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged