URL redirect vs parked domain vs addon domain

I recently registered a domain name which I would like to point to my main site. In my domain account at my registrar, I made DNS changes to point to my nameservers.

I want to be able to see stats on how many people actually point to the new domain (and get redirected). But I don't really need any email or cpanel functions. It's just there to redirect traffic, that's it.

So which one of the following should I be doing?

1. Set up new domain in WHM. Log into new domain's cPanel and add URL redirect.

2. Do not set up new domain in WHM. Log into main site cPanel and add new domain as addon domain.

3. Do not set up new domain in WHM. Log into main site cPanel and add new domain as parked domain.

Again, an important requirement is that I want to easily be able to monitor the stats on how many visitors point to the new domain.

Thanks for your help.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I would go with option 1 Vito.
    That way the new domain will have it's own set of Cpanel stats.

That's actually what I already did, then I got to thinking there was another way to do it. I guess the key here is that I can easily see the stats, right?

Here's an additional question. Doing it this way (option #1), when I look at my stats in my main domain, will a redirected visit show this new domain as a referrer or will that show up at all?

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I'm not possitive Vito but I believe it will either show your main URL as the referrer or show none at all.

Cool. Thanks, blue, as always.

Vito

As always, the pleasure is mine Vito.
    As a side note, you can compare logs from both Cpanel accounts to find out who the original referrer is.

Good idea. I guess I'll just click through a couple of times and then check the logs on both sites the next day.

Vito