Looking for an Australian VPS

Hi, want to move a bunch of australian centric sites from a usa based vps to an australian based vps because we arent being found in local searches

after researching, ive found the sites either needs to be a .au tld or hosted in australia. As we cant change the domains at this point we need to change the hosting location country to Aust.

Currently we have the "essential VPS" package with servint http://servint.com/vps/
    and are looking for an australian version with similar specs...

can anyone suggest a reliable, fast generous Australian based VPS provider?

Thank you in advance

Hello

You can check some of these Aussie VPS hosts..Just remember Aussie hosting will be alot dearer than USA..

http://www.netlogistics.com.au/hosting/vps.php

http://www.eventure.net.au/servers/vps/

http://www.dynamicwebhosting.com.au/...te_servers.php

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by nextwave
    Hi, want to move a bunch of australian centric sites from a usa based vps to an australian based vps because we arent being found in local searches

after researching, ive found the sites either needs to be a .au tld or hosted in australia. As we cant change the domains at this point we need to change the hosting location country to Aust.
    How true is that? I know there's information out there, but it's mostly misinformation and far from accurate. Why would a search engine discriminate a site from a local listing, just because they're hosted on a server from some other country? Doesn't make much sense to me.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

thank unix host
    will check them out

=--

yes aussie bob
    yes cant find unequivocal evidence but for a keyphrase search via google.com my site is number 1 but as soon as i search via google.com.au it is not in the first 10 pages

would think this is somehting that aussie hosts would be pushing as really if you are going for aussie traffic and ar ehosted overseas without a .com.au then you are really shotting yourself in the foot...

PS in my 5th year at httpme

I've heard quite consistently that to be listed in google.com.au "Pages from Australia" you need either a .au domain or a server physically in Australia - I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

nextwave - how much transfer do you need? If you're looking for 200Gb of Australian bandwidth you'd better have deep pockets! Perhaps consider hosting the pages on an Australian VPS with the images / downloads in the USA.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I'm not sure if the statement about searches is true. A search for 'America's Army' for example shows my site in the top 10 in Google, and top 20 in Google.com.au. I have a .com address, and I'm hosted in Europe. I assume the only difference is these results is that Google.com.au weights their results based partially on how many people using Google Australia click particular links, and partially on the .au domain, and partially on who knows what else (usualy google algorithms).

So being listed in google.com.au is not an issue if you don't have a .com.au domain - it still lists you regardless. However unless you feel confident that you'll actually get a lot more clicks through google.com.au your rank likely won't rise there regardless of your geographic domain hosting. Seems to me like an expensive experiment, I'd personally suggest buying some relevant .com.au domain names and redirecting them to your current site.
    Koroush Ghazi
    Owner/Author
    TweakGuides.com
    Currently Hosted by: EuroVPS

Did you try the search with "pages from Australia" checked?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Its my understanding that Google does give weight to the country or origin of the searcher. IP recognition and filtering. This "weight" is dramatically increased when "searches from Australia" is chosen but will not totally exclude outside Australia sites.

However, and this is the biggest howerver of all, Google say that less than 18% or those searching from an Australian IP actually click on "Searches from Australia". Two reasons for this (according to what I've been reading)....

1. People either can't be bothered or just don't know its there
    2. Because of the IP filtering which sees a little extra weight given to return AU websites even in world searches, people are getting the info they want and are not even thinking about further refining their searches by clicking on "Pages from Australia".

Now I'm not saying I'm right but I've looked into it fairly heavily about three months back and these are my own conclusions.

Cheers

Interesting, but I can suggest a third reason.

I use "the web" when I'm looking for information that could come from anywhere. I use "pages from Australia" when I want to buy something locally. My searches probably fit the 18% pattern you mention but I'll probably never find (or buy from) an Australian supplier that isn't in "pages from Australia".

Maybe I'm an atypical searcher tho...
    Chris

I personally set my Google to be the default international one. I have no reason to artificially restrict my searches to Australia, just because I live there. If I want to find something local, I just add site:au to the end of the search string.
    Koroush Ghazi
    Owner/Author
    TweakGuides.com
    Currently Hosted by: EuroVPS

You must know that bandwidth in australia is extremly expensive. I hope you are not requesting to have the same kind of prices you will find in the US... (or you will be desapointed)

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel