Expiration/Redemption Period - Help me figure this out!

Ok, I don't know very much about how this works, so can you guys help me figure out why my domain hasn't actually expired yet?

Updated Date: 27-sep-2007
    Creation Date: 16-aug-2005
    Expiration Date: 16-aug-2007

I was under the impression that the Redemption Period is approximately a month and then another 7 or so days on Pending Delete, and then it's fully expired. That'd put us at September 24th. So why is it still in Redemption?

Thanks guys

check freewho.com they always give a very accurate date of expiration of redemption
    Each registrar is a tool. Not all Tools are for the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by avythe View Post
    The truth is, most registrars would render some kind of registrar-level grace period (30 - 40 days) after your domain EXPIRED, so it probably enters RGP (the official, registry-level Redemption Grace Period) NO SOONER THAN Sep 16, and therefore won't be DELETED from the registry 30 days from then (and you already know it takes another few days for PENDING DELETE).
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Most domains will take approximately 65 days to delete after their stated expiration date. This is an approximate amount of days though, as each registrar may have different periods of time before they place the domain in Redemption status, though most have a 30-36 day policy.
    BurstNET® - an INC500™ Company -sales @ burst.net - 1-877-BURSTNET
    New! Pentium-D Dual-Core Servers and Dual/Quad Xeon 3GHZ Servers
    netBAQ™ External Backup Storage | Unmetered Servers | VPS | Co-Location
    http://www.burst.net - http://www.nocster.net - unrestricted.net

Use free whois.com. Mostly the deletion date cannot be calculated generically since most registrars have differing expiry/deletion systems. So it very much depends on where it's registered.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by avythe View Post
    Ok, I don't know very much about how this works, so can you guys help me figure out why my domain hasn't actually expired yet?

I was under the impression that the Redemption Period is approximately a month and then another 7 or so days on Pending Delete, and then it's fully expired. That'd put us at September 24th. So why is it still in Redemption?
    It had expired. Expiration and Redemption are not the same.

Your registrar defines the expiration period. Beyond that and it's up to the Registry.

so Sorry I had the same question but Didn't want to post a new topic
    so Basically how would I pick up a domain that is in its redemption period ?

If it's your domain, you pay the redemption fee. If it's not, then where is it registered? You'll have to wait for it to be picked up by a dropcatcher. The successful dropcatcher largely depends on where it's registered.

well its registered with enom

Domain registered 1-10 years

Domain expired (registrar grace period) 0-42 days

Domain RGP (redemption) 30 days

Domain Pending Delete 5 days

eNom may also decide to put the domain into extended redemption. They may then hold the domain for an additional year.

eNom appears to have a policy of renewing all expired domains. If it falls into Redemption, you'll have to pay their redemption fees. If the domain doesn't make them any money they will put it up for auction on NameJet, most likely just before the next renewal date.

So if enom renews it for 1 year, they can sell it within that year to some else. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    So if enom renews it for 1 year, they can sell it within that year to some else. Right?
    Yes, and if they dont do this sort of thing then the chances are someone like pool will steal it and sit on it forever until somone buys it from them at a silly inflated price.

Pool register domains within split seconds of them going back onto the market so if you are looking to renew a domain as soon as it becomes available then the chances are you will be too late! You have to participate in their extremely drawn out and costly auction process with no guarantee that you will get the domain in the end anyway.

I had a domain that expired on 21 Octomber 2006. Enom renew it on it's own until 21 Octomber 2007. It looks like enom renew it again on 11 October 2007 for 1 more year. Is that correct?

Updated Date: 11-oct-2007
    Creation Date: 21-oct-2005
    Expiration Date: 21-oct-2008

Probably, yes. Try backordering it on www.NameJet.com