* Which is the best hosting solution for web development company

Hi,

We are web development company. We develop websites for our clients and we are also supposed to provide web hosting solution for our clients. But currently we host our clients websites with one of friends server and he gets paid.

We are interested in setting up hosting biz and host the websites of our customers by ownself.

We seek out the market and found different hosting services, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Dedicated Hosting.

I tried to figure out which one is appropriate for us and why, but still cannot make clear idea.

So need some suggestion and help
    Outsourcing Nepal, for :
    Hosting, Domain Registration and Offshore application development solution.

If you are solely a web development company, I would look into reseller web hosting.

That way you don't have to manage your hosting servers, and you have the ability to create your own hosting plans for your clients.
    ██ Jordan G.
    ██ Mambug Studios
    ██ Hosting, Designing, Scripting
    ██ We specialize in designing, coding, deploying and maintaining businesses online since 2005.

Start off with VPS and then depending how many clients you have you can either get a series of VPS's or a server.

If your going with a VPS try out WiredTree. Solid company and service is exceptional. They answer tickets within 15 minutes.
    ██ WPCYCLE MANAGED WORDPRESS WEB HOSTING ██
    Managed WordPress VPS & Managed WordPress Dedicated VPS Servers
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups
    Email: sales@wpcycle.comFacebook: wpcycle • Twitter: wpcycle

what about shared hosting?

I have also heard about shared hosting too. I would like to know something about shared hosting too.

Why VPS is better for me than shared hosting?
    Outsourcing Nepal, for :
    Hosting, Domain Registration and Offshore application development solution.

Reseller, VPS, and Servers gives you control at different levels and you can create packages like previously mentioned.

With a reseller your clients would be sharing the space your paying for, but you would also be sharing space with a large pool of other sites.

VPS would cut down who your sharing space with, and a server would just be you. All your clients would still be "sharing" the space. So say you by a package with 100gb, you can allocate xx MB for each client.

It's the difference of being a roommate with a few friends sharing space or owning a house and renting it out.

If you do go with VPS make sure it's managed. Then once everything is setup you can focus on designing.
    Last edited by WPCYCLE; 09-13-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added content
    ██ WPCYCLE MANAGED WORDPRESS WEB HOSTING ██
    Managed WordPress VPS & Managed WordPress Dedicated VPS Servers
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups
    Email: sales@wpcycle.comFacebook: wpcycle • Twitter: wpcycle

To be quite honest, shared and VPS are nearly identical, especially with today's market. Nearly the only difference with a VPS vs Reseller, is that you have the power to run root privileges with your websites, whereas being on a reseller you can't.

I've seen VPS's get oversold just like shared accounts.

It all depends on the quality of your provider.
    ██ Jordan G.
    ██ Mambug Studios
    ██ Hosting, Designing, Scripting
    ██ We specialize in designing, coding, deploying and maintaining businesses online since 2005.

Do like we all did......start with a reseller then move up as you grow. Don't over commit when you start.

And go for QUALITY not cheap.....or you'll end up with grief!

It depends on how many visitors you have, but I think share hosting is ok.

Since you're just going to host websites for your design clients then I'll siggest you begin with. Reseller hosting account. Then with time you can move up the ladder to a VPS or dedicated server.

Cool

We work with one active design studio. Some of their customers don't want the hassle or really understand the difference in building a site and hosting... so they put the bill on their account and they charge the customer accordingly.
    Other customers understand "hosting" so they usually set up separate accounts for them to get them out of the monthly billing loop (and take advantage of our affiliate program)
    They have no preference they just do what's best for that customer because as designers they know what the people want.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

I would suggest researching some hosting companies and find a few that look good to you. Then contact them and ask how they recommend you do this. It will give you a few different responses. Also lets you test their response time and knowledge. You definately don't want to go with a host that takes 3 days to reply to a simple question. A reseller account would be OK, a VPS would be OK, you could even go with a shared account but this might limit you down the road (depending on your provider) and you will just be upgrading or moving again.
    M3Server - Celebrating 20 years of hosting
    Fully Managed Shared, Virtual & Dedicated Servers
    Chris Stach - chris@m3server.com
    http://www.m3server.com

I believe a reseller account is, quite likely, the better fit for you. Some even come with end-user support, which will come in handy for the hours/days when you're not at the office.

If you need root access to install stuff that doesn't typically come with reseller/shared hosting, a VPS is probably the way to do (if you want to still keep your costs on the low side).