Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

softlayer is new... trying to drum up business

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech

Best response? Go with Softlayer, and hire a managed services company. You'll be saving yourself about 5-600 per server, and thank yourself later on.
    Softlayer is less than a year old and is led by the former leaders of The Planet. This post is obviously trying to drum up business away from one of its competitors, Rackspace. How can any company a year old imply that Rackspace is NOT a managed services company? Yes, Rackspace is more expensive. A steak costs more than a cheeseburger. You get what you pay for... if you want/need support expertise and uptime, go with Rackspace. If you want to save money and try out a new company, go for it.

Being one of my first locations for dedicated servers, some 5 years ago, Rackspace had more downtime than I could reasonably imagine. It was constantly impossible for me to get into my server late at night, and they couldn't do a thing about it.

The "management" of RS servers are as pathetic as the downtime was (at least back then). Countless times I received emails that the server was going to be "offline" while they investigated xxx hack (not specifically relevant to my server, but to a certain block of ip's), and updated software. I informed them that this wasn't acceptable, and they were to leave it on. Their response? No. Even AFTER informing them that I would handle the updates myself (they were hardly critical, and HARDLY worth 2 hours of downtimie over), they simply said no.
    Looking at how an Internet company performed five years ago is not necessarily a good idea. That's a lifetime in Internet years. You must have been with them more than five years ago because that's how long it has been since their last outage. And what was the final result of your downtime? Was it network? Bad code? Please do tell...

And have you checked out management of servers lately? I wasn't here five years ago, but I've had nothing but success and great support. But, it sounds like you don't need the hand-holding that they provide since you do updates yourself. Low-cost providers are probably your best bet, but not for me.

Rackspace is not 100% uptime. They like to tell you that, but it's pure ********.

Rackspace - London 2 Offline for 4hrs 40mins; http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...light=London+2

Rackspace ranking;
    74 Rackspace Managed Hosting

http://hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=3
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    Rackspace is not 100% uptime. They like to tell you that, but it's pure ********.

Rackspace - London 2 Offline for 4hrs 40mins; http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...light=London+2

http://hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=3
    Did you read the rest of the thread? I did when it happened and my account manager says that the US still is served 100% of the time. The London outage is a newer facility that just came online and apparently their power provider didn't give them a redundant configuration. I hope that whomever was resopnsible for testing the power was read the riot act...

And look at how Rackspace financially responded!

Here's some of the post for furhter reading:

"i got a phone call this morning to appologise + am being issued with a touch over £400 to appologise for the inconvenience. Apparently its their first outage in 6 years!!

"Good Morning

Good news! We have restored connectivity to the LON2 Datacenter. The outage started at 20:32 GMT on 17/07/06 and lasted until 01:08 GMT on 18/07/06 which resulted in a total network downtime of 4 hours 40 minutes.

The issue was related to the C&W network infrastructure that had a failure on their network ring. We identified a design flaw on the C&W network tonight witch proved that they did not provide us with a true diverse solution we initially bought from them...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyT
    Judging by you sig and a bunch of claims I have not heard ANYWHERE else, would YOU happen to be one of these hired admins for a box at softlayer? Do I detect some outrageous bias here or what?
    He's (or his company) listed in SoftLayers' "SoftLayer Certified Server Management" subforum category on SL's forums. Take that how you wish.

Softlayer is less than a year old and is led by the former leaders of The Planet. This post is obviously trying to drum up business away from one of its competitors, Rackspace.
    I'd suggest that you actually do a bit of research before posting falsities like this. I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with SoftLayer, NOR am I trying to take business away from any competitor whatsoever.

Softlayer IS , in fact, less than a year old. You're correct there. Is it led by former leaders of TP? Yes, again, you're right. HOWEVER, that says absolutely nothing about their service, or their support. It merely says that they're new to the business.

Yes, Rackspace is more expensive. A steak costs more than a cheeseburger. You get what you pay for... if you want/need support expertise and uptime, go with Rackspace. If you want to save money and try out a new company, go for it.
    So, let's compare the two, shall we.

Network - Both have redundancy, and are incredibly stable
    Support - Hands down, Rackspace loses this one. Why? Here, let's look at why:

Firstly, the Control Panel - Racspace does NOT offer CPanel. Instead, they have chosen to go with Plesk. While that's great to a degree, Plesk is hardly the "leader" in the Control Panel software, and it can be quite complicated to work with and use, from both an admin's perspective, and a user's.

Secondly, their "support". Many times I have been told by Rackspace individuals that "they won't touch the server if you change ONE thing away from their supposedly great settings". Well, this hasb een proven, time and time again to me. Not just 5 years ago, but as recently as LAST YEAR.

Thirdly, their distributions. I'm sorry, but ANYONE selling (or not upgrading) RHEL2 , ANY of the previous redhat versions (7-9), etc and NOT insisting that their customers upgrade (or upgrading for them) is just wrong. As recently as last summer, I went into various customer's servers (at rackspace) and found ANCIENT os data on there that hadn't been updated in months (some as long as 2 years). Now, can you call THAT professional support? I certainly can't.

Price:
    All I have to say here is yikes. These people won't even release a price publicly because they KNOW they can't beat anyone's price. They don't even TRY to! They simply inflate their prices and claim they have the "best" out there. Well, the fact is that they DON'T.

I'm not even going to compare things of which I have no knowledge, specifically the control panel areas (ie: manage.softlayer). For what you're paying (or expected to pay), you'd think you would be able to simply login to the panel and do anything you want (ie: reboot, etc). Most likely, not the case here, but I can't say.

How can any company a year old imply that Rackspace is NOT a managed services company?
    I'd suggest you take a look at both my profile, and my posting history. I'm certainly NOT a company a mere year old, in fact, next week(yay), I'll be doing this for 4 years straight. I am, again, in NO way affiliated with SoftLayer, except as a customer, and as one whom knows a good deal about their own networks. I've been keeping a close eye on them since I found out about them a few months back.

Judging by you sig and a bunch of claims I have not heard ANYWHERE else, would YOU happen to be one of these hired admins for a box at softlayer? Do I detect some outrageous bias here or what?
    Bias? Not at all. Hired admin? Again, see the response to that up there ^^^ . Am I a 3rd party admin? You bet I am. However, that gives me the benefit of KNOWING what various companies provide, and seeing their service through the eyes of their customers. Trust me, it's not pretty in most cases. In Rackspace's case, it's incredibly horrid, for the price they're charging their customers.

The day of the $75 domain is over, and the day of the $500+/month dedicated server is over as well. While there ARE a few exceptions to this (unmetered BW, etc), Rackspace is HARDLY an exception to that.

Apparently its their first outage in 6 years!!
    Actually, that's incorrect. They've had PLENTY of outages, but they just won't tell people about them. Again, see my notes on uptime and connectivity. This wasn't just 5 years ago, it happened randomly over the last summer as well.

Low-cost providers are probably your best bet, but not for me.
    Let's do some math here shall we. I'm not trying to promote any specific business, because that's not what I'm here to do. However, the point remains, and is VERY valid.

Let's go with, say SoftLayer's services (just an example, and it's brought up ONLY because I use them myself right now):
    For an unmanaged server, you can pick up quality hardware/server stats @ SL for next to nothing (compared to Rackspace). We'll take my configuration and build from there.

A Dual Core Intel processor w/ 1g ram and 2x250g drive, CPanel and RHEL = $200 for EVERYTHING (including 2T bandwidth)

Now, add on management to that . We'll go with $100 / month, even though that's a bit on the high end.

Your total? $300/month.
    Now, let's compare this to Rackspace's quote of $800+/month per server.

That's not steak, folks, that's plain ridiculous. Steak is going with SL and having a $100/month server admin plan take care of things (and yes, for ANYONE, that would most likely cover things). This is far above and beyond steak here. In fact, it's wasteful, really. Do you REALLY have $500/month that you want to just throw away for service that is supposedly the best out there, when it's not? I sure don't, and NO company will EVER convince me that $800/month (or even close) is worth it.

He's (or his company) listed in SoftLayers' "SoftLayer Certified Server Management" subforum category on SL's forums. Take that how you wish.
    Oh, my. Way to state the obvious there. That means NOTHING at all, except that I'm listed as a certified SL management company. This, again, means nothing, it's merely another way to get word out about the services I provide
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

I have a hard time believing that a $100/mon is going to suffice for server management. A full time sysadmin is going to run probably $80K in major US markets. $80K a year equates to $40/hr assuming an 8hr work day. Then, basically that means you are getting 2.5 hrs of work a month from that $100/mon offering. Is that really going to be enough support? Sure doesn't seem like 24/7/365 support to me. I agree that RS is priced very high, but if you're shopping around for Tier 1 support you are not a price shopper, you are shopping based upon services offered.

(1) You say "I'd suggest that you actually do a bit of research before posting falsities like this." Then you spend the next two sentences proving my statements to be exactly 100% accurate. (led by former TP leaders, less than a year old)

(2) How do you define service if you claim that SL beats Rackspace "Hands down?" You list three less-than-compelling arguments to support this statement:
    (a) You like CPanel ( a great product ), Rackspace only offers Plesk. This says nothing about the SUPPORT that Rackspace provides. This is a product issue. I like Plesk, I use Plesk. Maybe they will offer CPanel in the future... who knows.
    (b) You claim "they won't touch the server if you change ONE thing away from their supposedly great settings". Are you talking about Rackspace or some other company with Rack in its name? Rackspace give all customers FULL ADMIN access to its servers and provides assistance no matter what customers do to its boxes. I can install whatever I want on my server and they still will help me. Can they help me with my own accounting app? No. Can they help me with the OS or database? Absolutely.
    (c) You mention RH version 2... Rackspace offers RHES 4 at the moment. I got onboard when they were stlll officially selling 3.0 but I asked for 4.0 and got it. They also offer support for 3.0 and 2.1. Neither product has been EOL'd by Redhat yet. They also offer Win2k3 and SQL2005. Newer versions of RH are MORE SECURE than previous versions; you can certainly roll out an older version if you want, but at your own risk. I can roll out older versions of php or MySQL if I want, but I trust rackspace's recommendations. Also, Fedora is a desktop o/s, not a server o/s. If you want cheap hosting on low-end or outdated software, find someone else. Rackspace is an enterprise hosting company looking for customers that want such a company.

(3) Go through the sales process with Rackspace and you will quickly learn what their price is about. Most of the monthly cost has to do with the support they provide... 1hr hardware replacement, 24x7 live support, 100% uptime, etc. If you just sell software and have a handful of engineers you can easily sell cheap hosting. Rackspace has hundreds of support techs. If I want to expand my business to include a Windows server, they can do it. If I want to keep my Linux box, ad another one and cluster it, they can help. Again, it's not about hardware, it's about service. That's why I'm hosting with them.

(4) I won't go through your math right now because your examples support the lower end of the hosting market that companies like The Planet, EV1 and CI Host are targeting. I grew tired of that niche and upgraded to a more serious provider. Yes, I pay a little more, but I also sleep a little better at night.

Let's just agree to disagree. I think that Rackspace is worth the money for the support that they give me (which I need). Perhaps more technical customers out there don' t need the hand-holding and can go with an unmanaged server somewhere else. To each his own.

peace...

I have a hard time believing that a $100/mon is going to suffice for server management.
    Tell that to my numerous clients who pay that very number (or less) and receive quality service, every month, including 24x7 access to me, any time, anywhere. $100/month DOES suffice quite well for server management, even IF you don't know what you're doing.

you spend the next two sentences proving my statements to be exactly 100% accurate.
    Actually, I disproved the one thing that was my goal to do. You made an accusation about me trying to drum up business for someone else, insisting (like countless others) incorrectly that I was working with/for SL, which I'm not. I may have mentioned SL, but that's only one example that can be taken from here.

Go through the sales process with Rackspace and you will quickly learn what their price is about.
    I have, and they don't provide ANYTHING that another datacenter (SL in this case, as an example) can't and DOESN'T provide.

Also, Fedora is a desktop o/s, not a server o/s. If you want cheap hosting on low-end or outdated software, find someone else. Rackspace is an enterprise hosting company looking for customers that want such a company.
    Where did I mention Fedora? I didn't. I said other versions of redhat (ie, rh8, rh9, rh7), which are INCREDIBLY outdated, which, of course, they still had on these servers.

Are you talking about Rackspace or some other company with Rack in its name? Rackspace give all customers FULL ADMIN access to its servers and provides assistance no matter what customers do to its boxes.
    Multiple times, I have encountered individual clients who RS has refused to support because they changed any number of settings on their server, from disabling ICMP (a poor, easily abused protocol) to any number of settings. At one point, they refused to support a customer because they wanted an UPDATED kernel for security reasons.

I won't go through your math right now because your examples support the lower end of the hosting market that companies like The Planet, EV1 and CI Host are targeting. I grew tired of that niche and upgraded to a more serious provider. Yes, I pay a little more, but I also sleep a little better at night.
    No, my numbers support the REALISTIC end of the hosting market. Name ONE provider that charges as much as RS does for their services. You can't, because they don't exist.

You claim you pay outrageous prices for someone who CLAIMS to be the best. That's like saying Burger King is better because they charge more than McDonalds. The point is that they AREN'T. Various providers (SL, Fastservers, etc) offer the SAME level of service for their customers, 24x7 support, incredible uptime (even RS doesn't EVER make 100%), yet charge 1/2 the price of RS, for the SAME quality and level of support.

You want low end prices for hosting? See providers like Burst, dedicadnow, and countless others that provide "budget" hosting for < $100/month (or just over). The point is that THESE are low end prices. I went with specifically HIGH end prices for the hosting market. RS has simply priced themselves out of reason. They don't offer anything special for this, they simply offer claims which can easily be refuted (and have been here, by myself).

Quote Originally Posted by sn1per
    Did you read the rest of the thread? I did when it happened and my account manager says that the US still is served 100% of the time. The London outage is a newer facility that just came online and apparently their power provider didn't give them a redundant configuration. I hope that whomever was resopnsible for testing the power was read the riot act...

And look at how Rackspace financially responded!

Here's some of the post for furhter reading:

"i got a phone call this morning to appologise + am being issued with a touch over £400 to appologise for the inconvenience. Apparently its their first outage in 6 years!!

"Good Morning

Good news! We have restored connectivity to the LON2 Datacenter. The outage started at 20:32 GMT on 17/07/06 and lasted until 01:08 GMT on 18/07/06 which resulted in a total network downtime of 4 hours 40 minutes.

The issue was related to the C&W network infrastructure that had a failure on their network ring. We identified a design flaw on the C&W network tonight witch proved that they did not provide us with a true diverse solution we initially bought from them...
    Well that shows what you know, eh?

It was NOT a power problem. They used one fiber provider only. Just ONE. How can ONE provider be redundant? Even if it's diverse circuits, etc... does not matter, it's ONE provider.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

No, my numbers support the REALISTIC end of the hosting market. Name ONE provider that charges as much as RS does for their services. You can't, because they don't exist.
    Not to be contentious, but you're seriously out of touch with the enterprise hosting market. I can think of a dozen or so companies off the top of my head that are more expensive than Rackspace. Go out and compare their pricing with companies like AT&T, IBM, EDS, Savvis, Digex/MCI, Sprint, Verio, NaviSite, VeriCenter, etc. While $100/month may seem like a lot for server management to some people, I deal with companies that charge more than 10x that and their customers happily pay it.

It may comes as a shock to those here dealing with $69/mo budget servers and $25/mo admin services, but the largest hosting company by far, in terms of hosting revenue, is a company that never gets mentioned here--IBM. And they are considerably more expensive than Rackspace, as is the number two company, EDS. Rackspace doesn't even really compete in what I would consider the high end enterprise hosting market, they target smaller enterprise and midmarket clients.

...Where did I mention Fedora? I didn't. I said other versions of redhat (ie, rh8, rh9, rh7), which are INCREDIBLY outdated, which, of course, they still had on these servers.
    Spoken like a true sysadmin. And that is both a compliment and a dig, because to the small to medium sized business owner, OS versions, kernels, etc... are not important. What is important is security, uptime, and support. If Rackspace provides this (in a form different than you would like) then their customers are happy.

We have a few ecommerce clients running on heavily modified RH6/7.x base OS's on managed servers, have for years, and are quite happy. No hacks, no OS problems, it works for them, so why rock the boat?

We charge more than Rackspace for some server configurations, we're not IBM, and our clients are not Fortune 500 (ok, some are Fortune 100). It's not that they do not know better, it's that we meet and exceed their expectations, make sure their sites are up, make money, and answer their questions. They know cheaper deals exist, but a few hundred a month when your site makes 50,000 or 1 million per month is not that big a deal when you've found a provider you trust.

Rackspace is not the end all and be all for everyone, but for websites that generate revenue more than a few bucks a month, the peace of mind of knowing the server is well watched over (not just by one hired admin but a team of highly skilled employees, not $8/hr reboot techs) is well worth the extra $100-$300 a month.

It's not the nuts and bolts you can provide, it's how you sell the sizzle and communicate with the client after the sale that is the true measure of success for both parties.

- John C.

to the small to medium sized business owner, OS versions, kernels, etc...are not important. What is important is security, uptime, and support. If Rackspace provides this (in a form different than you would like) then their customers are happy.
    Actually, that's just it though, they didn't. I can't speak for now, as I'm not currently working with any RS customers, but I CAN say that when I went in over the past year or so to customer's servers and found these messes that they were NOT updated at all.

RH6-9 can EASILY be updated to a CentOS3 (which is still maintained) setup without causing a bit of downtime, or data loss, so there's no reason those shouldn't be updated.

RHEL2, well, that's just wrong. RH may provide updates for them still, but they're not as updated as the 4.x (and previously, the 3.x) versions are.

Even knowing that, the software was not updated at all. Running up2date (which should be run regularly manually) showed that these were countless subversions behind, and critical stuff (kernels are always critical updates) were ignored. Not good.

the peace of mind of knowing the server is well watched over (not just by one hired admin but a team of highly skilled employees, not $8/hr reboot techs) is well worth the extra $100-$300 a month.
    Define "well watched". If they allow the server to go months without updates, don't even KNOW the updates need to take place, then how is that "well watched".

If the datacenter doesn't examine your logs, and has no clue that you're running perl scripts such as dos.pl or something else, how is that "well watched"?

If the datacenter doesn't know who's logging in your server, and what it's doing, how is that "well watched"?

It's just not feasible for a larger company such as rackspace to do this for all of their clients, because it would cost them a ton more than they're actually charging people.

In addition (and no offense meant by any means to anyone), but what does it matter how many employees are @ the company, when you can get ahold of the company via any method whatsoever 24x7 via phone? It doesn't, really.

The point I'm trying to make is that this type of overcharging here is not worth it, OR a good deal. Yes, rackspace claims "We're the best", but experience shows they're not. Yes, they claim "We have no downtime", but, again, experience shows they do. Yes, they claim "We offer customer service", but experience shows that they will not provide said service on your server if you've modified things, and that's just wrong.

For the same money, you could pick up 2-3 servers at a "budget" (as it was referred to by someone else earlier) datacenter, have an admin keep an eye over them, and STILL have money left over. It's all in knowing which DC to use and which to avoid.

@linux-tech:
    You forget something. The people that go to Rackspace had problems with bad sysadmins or datacenters, or they heard storyes about them.
    The reason why Rackspace isn't a good place to do business is because they overcharge for hardware that IS THE SAME LIKE IN ANY DATACENTER! Why should you pay for the same hardware 10x? You pay for suport, you pay for "100% uptime bandwidth" but Rackspace is using the same hardware like any datacenter. Why they charge so much for this? Because they can, not because it's better.

I think some people go to Rackspace because of their clever marketing campaigns, they are trying to make us believe that if you have a server there it will be up and running 24x7x365, which is not true. 100% network uptime is one thing, 100% server and all its services uptime is another... This forum is hosted there, we had about 6-8 hours of downtime today. Don't know what caused it, but it was DOWN. There are many things that they can't control so don't expect 100% uptime, it won't happen (unless you are willing to pay a LOT more for redundant systems).

Rackspace are not hosting gods, if you pay 4x what would cost you to have your site at LT, SoftLayer, The Planet, etc, you will still have downtime, even with their Fanatical Support(tm) and other marketing gimmicks. Check their homepage: "Need managed servers with 100% uptime?", yeah right... WHT must be the exception then...

Well, if we need any further proof problems happen at Rackspace. Look at what happened to WHT today!

6+ hours downtime due to a hardware failure -- pathetic. Unmanaged providers do it faster
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Until we hear the facts on why the long downtime, throwing around the "pathetic" term is in itself pathetic. I'm not defending Rackspace, but there may have been other issues being dealt with that we are not aware of. Hopefully the WHT admins will shed some more light on this long outage.

I'll agree their marketing is a bit over the top in terms of their statements, but from everything I've seen over the years, they do a better job than most when it comes to fully managed servers. Sure, they've had a few problems, but what about the 10,000+ customers that have seen incredible uptime, great support, and a system that works without their intervention?

- John C.

Until we hear the facts on why the long downtime, throwing around the "pathetic" term is in itself pathetic. I'm not defending Rackspace, but there may have been other issues being dealt with that we are not aware of. Hopefully the WHT admins will shed some more light on this long outage.
    It was a hardware failure, as has already been pointed out (just after they returned) by SWR, here .
    At approxamately 9:30 EST time we had a hardware failure in our load balancer that caused our entire cluster to be down. Our fileup melted.
    This proves the very point I've been making all along. Rackspace is NOT worthy of the prices they're charging. 6 hours for this kind of downtime for THIS LARGE of a client, I'm sorry, that's just wrong, pure and simple.

So much for 1hr hardware replacement, that's out the door right there.

Quote Originally Posted by steven-v
    Well, when you make $30K a month from single e-commerce website, you don't think that rackspace is expensive.... 100% uptime is what you need and you will not bargain about few hundreds...
    Do they always have 100% uptime -- considering that WebHostingTalk's DNS server was down most of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by LBX
    Do they always have 100% uptime -- considering that WebHostingTalk's DNS server was down most of the day?
    If you had read the post by SWR, you would know that was a hardware issue
    Big things coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by LBX
    That was a hardware issue. Supposedly Rackspace does have 100% on the network side, but their sales reps tend to sugarcoat things...and they also tend to not be aware of the prolonged outage they experienced at the London 2 data center...we are talking just under 5 hours.

to each his own..

We can debate all day how great Rackspace is or how much we think they suck, but the numbers don't lie. They are growing at a phenominal rate, have been profitable for a long time and provide great service to me. There will ALWAYS be outages, because NO hosting provider is perfect. Let's see how long it takes for SL to suffer an outage and see if it gets mentioned ad nauseum here.

As to what Rackspace will support, I suggest you define your term of support. Rackspace will support my config with the apps I have on it. If I add an app that's not part of their offering, I support it myself. You can't expect any hosting provider to support every application out there. If they say they do, they are lying, stupid or will never scale.

If one of your 'customers' said that Rackspace refused to support them, find out if they said they wouldn't support the entire config, or just a specific component that the customer wanted. There is a huge difference. Besides, it sounds like you are referring to the lowest end of Rackspaces clientele that have a single server and want old/outdated/non-standard stuff. Those clients are better served by a smaller company such as SL where they can get cheap hardware and cheap support. Go to Rackspace's web site and see the clients they are supporting... they are real businesses with brand names people recognize. Those companies don't make rash decisions... if they go with Rackspace that tells me that Rackspace is worth it.

We can debate all day how great Rackspace is or how much we think they suck, but the numbers don't lie. They are growing at a phenominal rate, have been profitable for a long time and provide great service to me. There will ALWAYS be outages, because NO hosting provider is perfect. Let's see how long it takes for SL to suffer an outage and see if it gets mentioned ad nauseum here.
    This is an APPLES TO ORANGES comparison. SoftLayer doesn't try to ever be a 100% uptime network. Your statement is also contradictory to what you say about Rackspace. Besides, Rackspace advertises 100%, says they have had 100% uptime in all locations , but they haven't. SoftLayer doesn't lie about their network uptime!

As to what Rackspace will support, I suggest you define your term of support. Rackspace will support my config with the apps I have on it. If I add an app that's not part of their offering, I support it myself. You can't expect any hosting provider to support every application out there. If they say they do, they are lying, stupid or will never scale.
    You are missing the point. A kernel isn't considered an application. Whereas a forum script such as say vBulletin would be considered an application.

If one of your 'customers' said that Rackspace refused to support them, find out if they said they wouldn't support the entire config, or just a specific component that the customer wanted. There is a huge difference. Besides, it sounds like you are referring to the lowest end of Rackspaces clientele that have a single server and want old/outdated/non-standard stuff. Those clients are better served by a smaller company such as SL where they can get cheap hardware and cheap support. Go to Rackspace's web site and see the clients they are supporting... they are real businesses with brand names people recognize. Those companies don't make rash decisions... if they go with Rackspace that tells me that Rackspace is worth it.
    SuperMicro mother boards, 3ware RAID controllers, Server-grade hard disks, does that sound like cheap hardware to you?

Rackspace charges a lot more for their hardware because they can, NOT, I repeat, NOT because the hardware is 'better'.

Go to Rackspace's web site and see the clients they are supporting... they are real businesses with brand names people recognize. Those companies don't make rash decisions... if they go with Rackspace that tells me that Rackspace is worth it.
    Nah, it just tells me that those companies have more money than sense, kinda like you, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    Nah, it just tells me that those companies have more money than sense, kinda like you, don't you think?
    Now how did you conclude that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast