Thumbs down Migrating a Website from GoDaddy

has anyone here ever had a problem migrating sites with databases / forums from godaddy shared hosting to your services and had somewhat of a nightmare or a nightmare the whole way through
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

Yes, we have had to assist many customers from GoDaddy, the DB part is always the hang up, not to mention all the differnt versions these accounts are running at least for MySQL... I think we are getting pretty good at it now.

Hi,

There is always problems when migrating from one platform to another. I'd recommend contacting your new host in trying to work with what you have at godaddy, and if unable to, have godaddy make a backup for you that is transferable to say the least and so you can at least convert them to correct versions if needed and work with that in your new host.

Good luck
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Doesn't GoDaddy offer phpMyAdmin? If not, there are remote MySQL database access tool which you can download (for free!) that would allow you to remotely access your database and create a backup. Then, this backup can be loaded to your new host.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Godaddy hosting is just junk i mean we migrated a client running nuke platinum got the file no problem but the bd hangs and with the site active there are so many discrepancies in the db it does not even import properly
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

I have migrated a few. Nothing but problems.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stealthy One View Post
    Doesn't GoDaddy offer phpMyAdmin? If not, there are remote MySQL database access tool which you can download (for free!) that would allow you to remotely access your database and create a backup. Then, this backup can be loaded to your new host.
    phpMyAdmin makes the job easy or its tougher for a lame person to take backups of their DB.

I moved several sites from GD to a standard cPanel shared hosting account with no problems. You just need to backup your DB in the proper manner and restore at it the new location.

some .htaccess files may also need to be modified since GD uses php.ini for some of the functions that cPanel places in .htaccess.
    Colbyt

Can someone give me detail instructions on how to migrate from GoDaddy. I'm having the same issue with a slow site

why are there problems in migrating?
    don't you just download and upload the files to the new host?
    and dump the db and insert in to your new host?

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    Can someone give me detail instructions on how to migrate from GoDaddy. I'm having the same issue with a slow site
    What files are migrated slowly? Usually backup of files is performed in Cpanel and web site content is uploaded to a new host.