Need host that lets me do my own MSSQL backups

I'm currently with HostNexus and I've been told by their tech support that I need to submit a ticket every time I want one of my databases backed up. This is not going to work anymore and I need to find a new host that will allow me to create and FTP the backups to my home server.

My requirements:

• At least 1GB disk space
    • Bandwidth won't matter as much right now
    • Allow me to have at least 15-20 domains on my account, I run a few different sites
    • Allow me to create a decent number of MSSQL databases (more than 5)
    • No MSSQL size quote (just let it subtract from the overall disk space)
    • A few MySQL databases
    • Both ASP.NET 2.0 and PHP 5
    • I need to be able to run that MSSQL backup via a Scheduled Task or something

I pay $20 but could go up to $30 if it has all the features + more space. DiscountASP.net seemed to have it all but I could only host one site per account and that just won't work. I did LOVE the thought of having a web service I could use to back up the DBs, though.

Hi

You will need an application my MyLittleBackup to Backup & Restore databases. This application is not cheap that is why not all hosts offer it, or MyLittleAdmin which is another premium Addon for SQL.

You wont be able to schedule backups but you can login and click backup then download it to your PC.
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

Crystaltech control panel has SQL backup/restore function, just check if they charge you for that though.

Ironically enough, I've interviewed to work at CrystalTech. I like their plans but my initial search of there forums resulted in a few posts where a CT employee said you could create a backup but you had to create a ticket to have it moved to your space.

That was from last May though so I submitted a ticket with them to ask if there is an automatic method now.

CrystalTech is out for now. I can create my own backups in their control center which will save to my web root but I cannot automate it according to their support team.

If I can't find anyone else maybe I could use snoopy or something to spoof it but I'd rather find someone with a tool already built. It can't be that uncommon to actually want to back up your own data, can it?

How about creating a scheduled task with a host which will back up your database and place it in a specific folder of your domain? There are lot of sql scripts/utilities available for the same provided your host allows you to run scheduled task.

Good luck!
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Quote Originally Posted by sure123 View Post
    How about creating a scheduled task with a host which will back up your database and place it in a specific folder of your domain? There are lot of sql scripts/utilities available for the same provided your host allows you to run scheduled task.

Good luck!
    That's all I really want to do. If I can get a .sql or .bak file in my domain folder I'd have no problem creating a job to FTP it home. The problem is none of the hosts I've talked to will copy my DB to my domain folder on a nightly basis. Either that or they want $5 per month per DB which would be doable if I only had 1 but right now I've got 3 and could see creating another handful in the future.

Hi

Does it have to be automated? Could you not use a script to download a local copy of your Database to your local computer?
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

Does it have to be automated? Could you not use a script to download a local copy of your Database to your local computer?
    I haven't found anyone that would let me do it from a script. If I get to that point it would be trivial to put the script in a Scheduled Task on my home server.

I'm starting to think that I won't find a shared host with the features I need so now I'm researching a cheap VPS. I'm hoping I can find something in the $30-$35 range but that is probably the most I can handle at the moment.

Hello,

I believe most of the problem is that the MS SQL servers are not going to be running Web servers and services. They are usually secured pretty tightly also. This makes the job harder for the script as it will have to copy to another location or vlan to drop it off in your FTP/domain area.

However, this should not stop you from being able to use .Net, DTS, etc. to export (backup) the data to your home/development server or elsewhere.

Hope this helps, good luck w/ your search and best wishes.
    Allen Burnett StormHosts aburnett@stormhosts.com
    Professional MS ASP, .Net, MS SQL 2000/2005 and Reseller Hosting Since 2001
    Clustered servers @ Equinix Helm/cPanel/WHM/VPS/colo/Dedicated/MailFoundry anti-spam/Server Mgmt

I finally found a tool that will run from my home server and back up my databases. I just save the command line to a .cmd file and schedule it to run every night

http://www.codeplex.com/ScriptDB

So I will stay with my current host

Quote Originally Posted by SoftsysHosting-Rick View Post

Good luck!
    Rick, do you allow this at SoftSysHosting? And do you allow customers to perform their own restores? I assumed this was available and after signing up I can't seem to find any information on how to do it. I contacted tech support to restore my DB which they did some 4 hours later. I'm actively looking for another hosting company unless I can find a way to do this - backup & restore - at SoftSysHosting. Thanks for any insight/help.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by tblankers View Post
    Rick, do you allow this at SoftSysHosting? And do you allow customers to perform their own restores? I assumed this was available and after signing up I can't seem to find any information on how to do it. I contacted tech support to restore my DB which they did some 4 hours later. I'm actively looking for another hosting company unless I can find a way to do this - backup & restore - at SoftSysHosting. Thanks for any insight/help.

Terry
    Hi Terry,

My apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. As HELM 3 does not provide a backup/restore functionality, we need to perform these tasks manually. However, we can definitely arrange for creating a scheduled task which will back up your database daily and place it in a specific folder in your domain. Just open a support request for the same and tech support guys will take care of the same. But I regret to inform you that as of now, you will need to contact us to perform database restores.

Thanks,
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Which MS SQL 2005 are you trying to backup? Are you using Express, Workgroup, or Standard edition?
    www.opticip.com - Optic IP LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059 View Post
    Which MS SQL 2005 are you trying to backup? Are you using Express, Workgroup, or Standard edition?
    if its a hosting company, it will be Workgroups or above.
    www.thehostingheroes.com

you could try this..

BlackBall SQL Agent
    http://software.techrepublic.com.com...x?docid=302490

Have you tried asking them if they would create a SQL job that would perform the backup for you? Most host would not have a problem with that. Depending on your database size, it should only take a few seconds for the server to completely backup your db.