* DNS Issue old website keeps showing?

Hi everybody.. ive recently transferred a friends account over to a resellers. The domain is pointing correctly with the nameservers changed and also the account that was created for him is also using domain name servers.

The account was moved and an index page was placed. The DNS resolved for the domain fine but when i come to check the website it is still showing me the old website where the forum is offline. I have deleted my cookies and cache but i still remain to see the old website for some reason.

The previous account on another host is still active with the files in place, but the domain for the website is pointing to the new account and the account using the same dns as the domain. For some strange reason i remain seeing the previous website?

Any ideas what could be wrong here?

Cheers.
    Kayz

When did you changed the DNS?
    It will take 24 to 48 hours for the dns to get propagated globally, and you may be getting directed to the old server before the propagation.
    Also, the old results will be cached at different points including your ISP and you will get directed to the new IP only after the caches expires.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    When did you changed the DNS?
    It will take 24 to 48 hours for the dns to get propagated globally, and you may be getting directed to the old server before the propagation.
    Also, the old results will be cached at different points including your ISP and you will get directed to the new IP only after the caches expires.
    Ahh i see thats more reassuring... i went on megaproxy.com to view my site and that is showing me the latest information so it is working but not for me or my friends in anyway. Like you said it may take time for it to change globally.. so i will have to wait till tonight i guess.. also you say the cahce will take some time to expire how long does this usually take? esp for ISP's?

Cheers.
    Kayz

start -> run -> ipconfig /flushdns

change to opendns and run cachecheck.
    semi-retired

Quote Originally Posted by kayz View Post
    also you say the cahce will take some time to expire how long does this usually take? esp for ISP's?

Cheers.
    That too should be cleared in a few hours. But you can always expect it to go upto 24 hours. So be patient if the site is showing correctly from a proxy. It is just teh cache.
    Matt A.

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
    start -> run -> ipconfig /flushdns

change to opendns and run cachecheck.
    yes i did that but for a forum how do i get this message across to all my users as some will be novices?

What do you mean by opendnsand run cachecheck? How do i do that?

Ive told the host to run the flushdns on their server also if that helps...
    Kayz

In that case, you will need to wait until the teh cache expires.
    Because your users will be with different ISPs and most will going to the cached values.
    By the way, are you still holding teh the account at your old host? In that case, you can go for a dns forwarding in the dns to forward the request to the old server.
    All that you need to do is change the A record in the old server and change it to the new one.
    In that way, even if the query goes to the old server, it will get directed to the new server.
    Matt A.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    In that case, you will need to wait until the teh cache expires.
    Because your users will be with different ISPs and most will going to the cached values.
    By the way, are you still holding teh the account at your old host? In that case, you can go for a dns forwarding in the dns to forward the request to the old server.
    All that you need to do is change the A record in the old server and change it to the new one.
    In that way, even if the query goes to the old server, it will get directed to the new server.
    Yes i have one month remaining with my old host so the files are still there and live but the domain is pointing to the new server but the DNS is taking its time as we can see.

About changing the A record on the old server my friend is not on good terms with them at the moment so we are just making a sneak get away from them after 2 and a half years hosting. So if we do just wait a few more hours the cache should expire right?
    Kayz

If you can't get the IP changed at the old host, all that yuo can do is wait until the cache expires.
    And this can take a few hours upto 24 hours.
    Matt A.

My ISP sometimes takes up to 72 hours for the their DNS servers to update for me to view DNS changes....it's different for everyone.
    www.opticip.com - Optic IP LLC

Quote Originally Posted by kayz View Post
    The domain is pointing correctly with the nameservers changed and also the account that was created for him is also using domain name servers.
    I may be misunderstanding this but are you saying the account is using custom nameservers? ie. if the domain is example.com you're using the nameservers ns1 and ns2.example.com?

If so check you've changed the A records for ns1 and ns2 on the new server - it's a common mistake to fail to change these when an account is transferred. If they point back to the old server you'll have some visitors bouncing back and forth for ever.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter