Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DDOS protected 100% fully managed VPS with Proactive support

need help in choosing a fully managed WITH 100% pro-active support

im hosted on futurehosting and truly they rock with gr8 support and instant services, 3-4 small sites but today whole day it was down due to apparently DDOS attack - as per my hosts response. read history here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6147350

When i took FH i had done some research and thought its 100% managed VPS - i never knew its not proactive managed service etc !!! frankly i did ask on WHT and FH was the most recommended and truly they have lived up to it and i have no complains but just that maybe my requirement is a more proactive support service:-)

seems i need to move on - to som1 who can handle DDOS attacks + offer proactive monitoring which FH says it doesn't offer

1. LiquidWeb.com promises DDOS protections under their https://www.liquidweb.com/services/serversecure.html

2. another option seems http://www.gigenet.com/hosting-solut...rotection.html

3. am told wiredtree would work well too for a complete newbie like me ?

wiredtree response to DOS protection

Hello Abhishek,

We do offer proactive monitoring, but we do not offer DDOS filtering for VPS. Those are two separate things. If your site is a frequent target of DDOS attacks, or is currently under DDOS attack, you should fine a host which specializes in DDOS prevention.

Thanks,
    Zac

truly anti-ddos hosts?

i am reading ddos protection from some hosts like liquidweb, but reading this forum indicated that may be more of a marketing statement as these hosts may not actually provide ddos protection and filtering....

on other hand i checked gigebit but they ask for $1000 pm just for anti ddos service...

any mid way solution, something which works for toning down ddos attacks rather than shutting the VPS down?

The only true DDoS protected network that I'm aware of would be http://staminus.net/. I know there are others, however, Staminus has quite the reputation for fending off quite a few larger attacks.

Please understand that I am not a customer, nor have I ever been a customer. I just know for a fact that they have a DDoS protected network.

Please be aware that they do not offer VPSs. What you need to do is contact them to see if they have any possible referrals to customers on their network that do VPS hosting.

Compile a list, then come back and do your research on WHT and Google.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

From wiredtree support

We do install DOS protection from our ServerShield package, and it works well against small attacks, but there are limits to what software running on the server can do. For large, targeted DDOS from botnets, you really need specialized hardware, software, and manpower to filter the attacks completely, and that makes it very costly to do so. All of the hosts I know who specialize in DDOS-specific hosting charge a lot for it, because of the cost and the bandwidth that the attacks use up. I haven't used any other hosts, so I cannot make any recommendations, but I'm sure there are many if you search on WHT.

I read your post, and if you are receiving 92MBps of DOS traffic (or more, because it sounds like you may have been limited to 100Mbps) with thousands of connections from different IPs, then you are under a DOS attack - a software misconfiguration would not cause that. If you are on a VPS, you are going to have a hard time finding a host who will filter your attack rather than
    shut you down, because you are going to be causing problems for every other VPS on the server, whereas if you were on a dedicated server, you would not be. We do work with our clients to help filter DDOS, but on VPS, there is usually not much that can be done with large attacks because it will be hurting the other user's on the server. How long have your sites been around? Has this happened before? Are your sites currently online?

Thanks,
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    The only true DDoS protected network that I'm aware of would be http://staminus.net/. I know there are others, however, Staminus has quite the reputation for fending off quite a few larger attacks.

Compile a list, then come back and do your research on WHT and Google.
    thanksi checked thier website, since it doesnt offer any pricing info have emailed them.....lets see !

Check out http://www.clustered.net/company/security.php

Security

Our network is built around multiple intrusion prevention systems. As a key component of our network, they provide proactive threat mitigation that stops attacks before they spread through the network.

All virtual servers are hardware firewall protected.
    # Insecure ports blocked
    # 10 custom rules (for additional rules contact sales@clustered.net)
    # Secure VPN access
    # Intrusion prevention system

Should you choose not to be protected by our firewalls simple raise a ticket and your IP's will bypass them.

LiquidWeb response - We have a live Monitoring Team that watches the servers 24/7 as well as our
    Network Team which monitors for these attacks on Liquid Web's Core Router
    level. When DDoS attacks are found/identified we add the offending IP to
    our ACL to effectively negate the attack. Again, this is monitored on
    Liquid Web's core router level, but this is also monitored on the server
    level. There is no way to be 100% effective against DDoS attacks but Liquid
    Web does everything possible to ensure that these attacks are caught
    quickly when they occur.

For information on the Linux ServerSecure package use the following URL:
    http://www.liquidweb.com/services/se...ure-linux.html

The Liquid Web VPS package is setup on RAID1 for redundancy but Liquid Web
    also performs nightly backups of our servers. These backups are for internal
    use to protect our clients from data corruption, disk errors, etc... But as is
    standard with every hosting company - we direct our clients to keep/store
    their own backups for their personal use (our System Administrators can walk
    you through configuring your Cpanel Web Host Manager Control Panel to schedule
    your backups).

so basically wiredtree washed thier hands off while liquidweb seems willing to takeup the challenge

Quote Originally Posted by abhishek1711 View Post
    so basically wiredtree washed thier hands off while liquidweb seems willing to takeup the challenge
    Not exactly. They say they ACL the offending IP to effectively negate the attack, but why don't they mention it will also negate all legitimate traffic?? Unless they're talking about DoS attacks from one IP and ACLing that one attacker's IP, but that'd be pretty pointless since if it's an attack from one IP, you could likely just block the attacker's IP with iptables/ipfw. Sounds to me when an attack occurs, they just block all traffic to your attacked IP.

Just to make things more clear.
    You're saying LiquidWeb is willing to take the challenge and host you? That means LiquidWeb is ready to risk the performance and availability of all other client's VPSes hosted on the same server!
    LiquidWeb is supposed to be one of the best hosts, I don't believe they're willing to take that risk.

I'm happy WiredTree washed their hands off, I don't want one day to find my VPS extremely slow because WiredTree took a challenge and hosted a customer whose under DDoS on the same server I'm on.
    RackIsland - Premium Hosting Solutions
    LiteSpeed Web Server, Nightly Backups and Zero Overselling!
    Happy Customer with WiredTree!

Quote Originally Posted by moustafari View Post
    Just to make things more clear.
    You're saying LiquidWeb is willing to take the challenge and host you? That means LiquidWeb is ready to risk the performance and availability of all other client's VPSes hosted on the same server!
    LiquidWeb is supposed to be one of the best hosts, I don't believe they're willing to take that risk.

I'm happy WiredTree washed their hands off, I don't want one day to find my VPS extremely slow because WiredTree took a challenge and hosted a customer whose under DDoS on the same server I'm on.
    If LiquidWeb proactively monitor all their servers & VPS, they should be able to detect the VPS causing problems and fix it or shut it down ASAP to prevent problems for other users on the same node. However, dealing with it is a little bit troublesome....

see thats true bt one thing is liquidweb was atleast keen to help.....wiredtree stopped replying to my mail after a pint of time....

this gives a lot of comfort for sure

Abhishek,

Sounds good. Let me know when you place your order and we will call to
    verify. Once the order has been verified, our Setup Team can have your new
    VPS live within 4-6 hours. I know you will be pleased with your move from
    Futurehost to Liquid Web. Sounds like the 2 features that will be of major
    benefit to you is our 24/7/365 Heroic Support and our Live Proactive
    Monitoring Services. Take a look and let me know if you have any
    questions.

:: Liquid Web Heroic Support ::
    https://www.liquidweb.com/support/heroicsupport.html

:: Liquid Web Sonar Monitoring Service ::
    https://www.liquidweb.com/services/sonar.html

I will watch for your order and look forward to working with you.

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    If LiquidWeb proactively monitor all their servers & VPS, they should be able to detect the VPS causing problems and fix it or shut it down ASAP to prevent problems for other users on the same node. However, dealing with it is a little bit troublesome....
    So most probably they'll shutdown his VPS, which is the proper thing to do, because they don't have a real DDoS protection. But he says they're willing to take the challenge and host him?!

see thats true bt one thing is liquidweb was atleast keen to help.....wiredtree stopped replying to my mail after a pint of time....

this gives a lot of comfort for sure
    LiquidWeb is good and I know they might help you out and their solution may actually work.

My point is just are they willing to risk all other customers hosted on the same server you're on?

am sure they wont allow that ! thats why i am probing things indepth to get more direct reverts, but i trust them since they cared to help me out with my never ending queries....

on WHT have always read better custom service reviews for Wiredtree but i think my experience gives an edge to liquidweb

If you are going to signup with them, please keep us updated and post how did it go.
    So when someone gets a DDoS he would know where to go .
    Last edited by moustafari; 04-25-2009 at 12:44 PM.

sure ! i dont expect much help on actual DDOS attack, but atleast they have proactive monitoring and heroic 24/7 support and much higher levels of tech level3 support....i basically have a feeling of trust with them with this experience

sure ! i dont expect much help on actual DDOS attack, but atleast they have proactive monitoring and heroic 24/7 support and much higher levels of tech level3 support....i basically have a feeling of trust with them with this experience
    If they didn't do much then what good will it be?
    Like that they'll be just wasting your time by giving false hopes and then they should have been straight and clear in their answer like Zac.

Lots of well known companies along with LiquidWeb have 24/7 support with average response under 15 minutes and proactive monitoring.

I believe they should do much about the DDoS, since they told you they will.
    Last edited by moustafari; 04-25-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Is your site currently under attack, or you just want a host who protects against DDoS as a precaution?

Ah, sorry for that.
    But you're not sure if it's a DDoS, right?

I guess you'll be fine at LiquidWeb.

I am going with Liquid Web as they seem to be much more prepared !

Hello Abhishek,

I would like to take this time to explain our DDOS procedures and policies.

When a DDOS arrives there are a few things we look at. First we look at the
    size of the attack, then where it is coming from and where it is going
    (TCP/UDP ports source and destination IP).

We use this information to determine the best course of action.

If the DDOS is small enough (e.g. not causing latency on the network for other
    customers or saturating any critical infrastructure links) we can attempt to
    stop the attack by adding source IP addresses to our ACL (effectively blocking
    the malicious traffic ONLY from our network).

If the DDOS is too large (e.g. causing latency on the network for other
    customer or saturating critical infrastructure links) we will be forced to
    Null Route the destination IP address (IP of your server). This will
    effectively cut off routing to your IP for only the affected IP being
    attacked.

If the attack is so large that it is saturating provider back haul connections
    we would then be forced to black hole the destination IP at our provider,
    stopping the traffic at our providers routers.

We monitor the DDOS attack and when it has subsided to acceptable levels we
    can then remove any Null routes or black holes put in place to protect our
    network.

While a Null route or black hole is in place, other IPs on your server will
    continue to work normally. Some customers elect to move the affected sites to
    another IP address to get around the issue. Although, there are times the
    attacker will catch on and begin attacking the new IP as well.

For the most part we are able to stop most DDOS attacks by using our ACL. But
    there are the few exceptions to this.

In the case of you having a VPS, we generally do not have to shut down VPS
    accounts due to DOS attacks. The previously mentioned procedures effectively
    stops the attack from affecting other customers.

There are hardware devices by Cisco which are designed to help stop DDOS
    attacks. Although these devices are extremely expensive, you would also need a
    dedicated server to make use of such a device. Also, no device, no matter how
    expensive and sophisticated can stop a link from becoming saturated. This is
    usually where customers get in the biggest trouble because we can not utilize
    the ACL at that point.

I hope this helps clear up our DDOS policies and procedures. If you have any
    further questions feel free to call in and ask to speak to a Network Engineer
    regarding these procedures.

Sincerely,

Steven King
    Network Engineer

Liquid Web, Inc.

I am going with Liquid Web as they seem to be much more prepared !
    Be sure to update us how it worked for you. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

I am sure it will certainly help others who may be needing the same.
    Find solution to every problem ---> Google.com

sure, as of now liquidweb seems to be lagging in email response times....sometimes have to resend the same query due to lack of repl even after 12 hours. future hosting never failed in that, when you send an email u get a reply within 30mins with the solution or promise to get back with solution with a response timeframe...

maybe this is thier sales email support, may get luckier with tech support email response times - but its disappointing as here am waiting for thier revert on how to take forward the migrations !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast