Dell 1550 Hard drives

Hello,

Does anyone know what hard drives work with the Dell 1550? I have a Seagate ST336605LC that shipped with mine, but I cannot find any of these on pricewatch. What do you guys do when you purchase additional drives?

Thanks!

Any good-quality 3.5" low profile SCSI drive should work. I would use a Seagate Cheetah or IBM UltraStar, myself.

Hmmm... Actually, I don't believe any high quality drive will work. The drives are hot-swappable, and look like they have fibre-channel connectors on them (But, I don't think they are fibre channel....)

I was just very surprised that I could not find any of the exact model numbers on pricewatch...

I think that drive is not produced anymore. You can use ST336705LC which I think is it's replacement. It's just a plain ol Ultra160 SCSI drive.

Hope that helps!
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

I guess I shouldn't have assumed that you'd know they were SCA drives. It's not fiber-channel, it's just a special hot-swap connector that includes power and ID settings.

SCA drives can usually be had quite cheaply because most people can't use them without an adaptor.

Now you're talking!

I've built quite a few home systems, but have never seen one with that SCA interface. You learn something new every day!

Thanks guys!

Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"