Wireless streaming to tv

Hi,

What's the best way to wirelessly streming to TV, basically I would like to display some stats from the internet/browser on the TV. I was think about some mini-PC but maybe there is some better solution?

Knid regards

Hi,

I found this device:

Q-Waves Wireless USB to HDMI Extender

Does anyone use it?

There is no "best way" unfortunately. There are graphics cards that have a new wireless form of HDMI that can transmit multiple wireless HD signals to wireless receivers hooked up to TV's & other displays. You can also use a SoC setup or HTPC and use standard wifi signals to transmit data. There's also wireless DLNA support on many new displays.

It really depends on what *exactly* you want to do, and how you want to do it.

What do you mean by displaying stats from the browser? You want to set up a wireless connection to use a remote display that's not near the computer? Are you planning on using a TV or monitor that you already own? If so what type is it and what inputs does it accept?

If you want to stream video to a TV or monitor you already own I recommend looking at some of the new wireless HDMI video cards available, or possibly go with something like a dummy HTPC / wireless TV device.

The wireless HDMI is called WHDI

Here's an example of a card that does it: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...HDMI-Streaming

Quote Originally Posted by HTF1 View Post
    Hi,

I found this device:

Q-Waves Wireless USB to HDMI Extender

Does anyone use it?

Never used those, but they do work. They probably don't have the sharpest response time but would work just fine.
    GorillaServers Inc. Powerful Bare Metal Servers
    Instant and Custom Deploy 1Gbps/10Gbps Servers in Los Angeles & Ogden Utah
    Follow us @GorillaServers | GSI on Facebook

Hi,

Thank you for your reply it's really helpful.

I would like to display statistics from the status board (Geckoboard) on the TV (TVs) mounted on the wall.

Ideally the best solution would be some wireless, internet enabled TV but this kind of devices are probably expensive and I couldn't find any specific model. Most of them are advertised as "Internet enabled TV" but I'm not sure if they work only with specific applications like Youtube, Facebooks etc. or I will be able to display/browser any internet sites?

Any reconsiderations?

The other (cheaper) solution would to be to hook up some mini PC to the TV like Raspberry Pi with USB wireless adapter but they are not available yet.

I don't have any TV for this purpose at the moment.

Kind regards

You are correct in assuming most "internet enabled" tv's will only work with specific "Apps". Such as netflix, facebook, youtube, etc. They typically do not have a built in browser, but some do.
    Frank Laszlo - Developer
    Franksworld Solutions, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by HTF1 View Post
    Hi,

Thank you for your reply it's really helpful.

I would like to display statistics from the status board (Geckoboard) on the TV (TVs) mounted on the wall.

Ideally the best solution would be some wireless, internet enabled TV but this kind of devices are probably expensive and I couldn't find any specific model. Most of them are advertised as "Internet enabled TV" but I'm not sure if they work only with specific applications like Youtube, Facebooks etc. or I will be able to display/browser any internet sites?

Any reconsiderations?

The other (cheaper) solution would to be to hook up some mini PC to the TV like Raspberry Pi with USB wireless adapter but they are not available yet.

I don't have any TV for this purpose at the moment.

Kind regards
    In my opinion the best and most flexible option for your needs is setting up a mini HTPC that is dedicated to the TV/display. You can buy premade HTPC's or build your own. I recommend going with a very low power "APU" setup from AMD as they use very little power and don't need an additional discrete graphics card. They have built in radeon stream processors that are more than capable of displaying HD video, decoding high end HD video signals, playing flash/web games, etc.

So you hook up the HTPC with a wireless receiver (some of the APU setups come with wifi built into the motherboard itself) and simply stream video via VLC from a computer or server elsewhere, or setup your gecko browser how you want and have it be a dedicated device.

All of the other options can get you where you want to go, but the HTPC setup would give you the most options - no question about it.

If it's a question of money, then go with the cheap USB wireless HDMI receiver thing. I can't vouch for them though, as I've never tried one.
    GorillaServers Inc. Powerful Bare Metal Servers
    Instant and Custom Deploy 1Gbps/10Gbps Servers in Los Angeles & Ogden Utah
    Follow us @GorillaServers | GSI on Facebook

Hi,

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Regards