Website with 1000+ concurrent users

What webhost would you recommend for a website that has an average of 1000+ concurrent users accessing the website at any given time? I'm considering SoftLayer, DreamHost VPS, or HostGator VPS.

Thats quite a good bit, what is the nature of the site?
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

You do not state which kind of content will be served for such +1000 concurrent users.

Isn't the same serving plain static html, php or Java. Give more details of tech used and/or expected serving apps to give a more approximated hardware sizing.

Indeed. It completely depends on the content of your website. If you are sharing rich content like video then certainly needs strong server if its basic html/static pages then VPS would do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by WebHostingAcc View Post
    What webhost would you recommend for a website that has an average of 1000+ concurrent users accessing the website at any given time? I'm considering SoftLayer, DreamHost VPS, or HostGator VPS.
    If it is 1000+ concurrent users hitting static pages, then a VPS will do. However, if it is a PHP application that relies on a MySQL database, a VPS might really struggle. In that case, you would need to highly optimize your code to get it to work well with a VPS. What type of content are you looking to host? (static or dynamic)
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Ro View Post
    Thats quite a good bit, what is the nature of the site?
    It's a WordPress based website.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSupportLinuxHostin View Post
    If it is 1000+ concurrent users hitting static pages, then a VPS will do. However, if it is a PHP application that relies on a MySQL database, a VPS might really struggle. In that case, you would need to highly optimize your code to get it to work well with a VPS. What type of content are you looking to host? (static or dynamic)
    Static content. It's WordPress with W3 Total Cache.

Lots of sites are WP based, or run on the core of it. Still does not explain much.
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

A WordPress site with properly configured caching should be able to handle 1,000 concurrent on even a lower end plan so long as you're serving static pages (i.e. cached pages).

If all 1,000 of those users are posting comments, you're likely going to run into trouble though unless you're on a higher end service.

I wouldn't necessarily say you need a VPS, but you would definitely need something at the higher end of the shared spectrum (i.e. not $3/month).

If the traffic is constant/sustained then you would want to go with a full dedicated server imho, but with 1,000 concurrent users you *should* be able to monetize the site to support it's hosting requirements.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Static content. It's WordPress with W3 Total Cache.
    If it is a WordPress site, then it is not static content. A good caching pluggin definitely helps, but it is still a dynamic site since it is processing PHP pages. Even if the PHP pages pull content from static files instead of a database, it is still a lot more overhead than simply serving static HTML pages. If you did the entire site as HTML files, then it would be a static site.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by NoSupportLinuxHostin View Post
    If it is a WordPress site, then it is not static content. A good caching pluggin definitely helps, but it is still a dynamic site since it is processing PHP pages. Even if the PHP pages pull content from static files instead of a database, it is still a lot more overhead than simply serving static HTML pages. If you did the entire site as HTML files, then it would be a static site.
    That's not entirely true - it's entirely possible to avoid PHP at all for serving cached content when using a quality and properly configured caching solution. You will be relying upon mod_rewrite, but you can very effectively serve static-content-only from a WordPress platform with the right plugins.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

What about going cloud? Like Amazon - AWS or StormOnDemand. I've been using both for years now and am loving it
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

W3 Total Cache is a gluttonous plugin. It's a really crappy cache.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

WebHostingAcc, whichever host you choose, it is a matter of choosing the right hardware for the content you plan to load.

If your content is more disk cached, it is better off going for local drive, if the content is more memory cached, it is better of going for a virtual server that allows burst speed. If you have predicted to grow quickly it is best to choose a VPS, to help with scalability. Basically there are many such factors you should consider before deciding to host your website, not just traffic.

I would also strictly recommend a load test on the server and simulate the same traffic before hosting the content.

Quote Originally Posted by jrianto View Post
    What about going cloud? Like Amazon - AWS or StormOnDemand. I've been using both for years now and am loving it
    Rackspace as well. Great load balancing and DB options. I have some stuff there. You can resize your cloud server in minutes up or down if it is underperforming. I do it all the time when I know a particular site is going to get a traffic hit from a marketing blitz or something similar. My 2C.
    Autologica
    Shared, Reseller, Exchange, Sharepoint, Cloud Hosting
    BMC ITSM Process Consulting
    www.autologica.co