View Poll Results: Attending HostingCon 2010?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 47.67%
  • No

13 15.12%
  • Maybe leaning more towards yes

29 33.72%
  • Maybe leaning more towards no

3 3.49%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HostingCon 2010 @ Austin, TX

Looking forward to meeting up again with all the great people at the next HostingCon

Being held next year at the Austin Convention Center July 19-21

According to the Austin Convention Center HostingCon is listed as a "Private Event" currently
    @mariorodriguez
    Director of Business Development
    Monarx.com
    https://www.monarx.com/about-us

See you there, Mario! :-D
    Mark A. Mutti, Los Angeles
    mark.mutti@phirefast.com / (818) 358-1161
    PhireFast: Drama-free Hosting, Awesome Support (Since 2004)

We'll be there in full effect.

Indeed, it was all in all a great show.. I think iNet stepped up in a big way and did a great job with the presentation of a venue for us to make this show happen this year.
    Looking forward to seeing what can be done with Austin.. Purity Networks will be there for sure..
    Frank
    Frank Spaulding COO Purity Networks

Next year I personally would like to see more "meat" on the technical presentations...

I did get a bit sick of the "Buy our stuff" routine. If you are going to do that, at least do what Parallels did and outline the problems and offer some suggestions as well as promote your product (looking at you Rackspace and Softlayer)...

I think iNet could also do a better job of scheduling things a bit. I found myself skipping lunch one day to hit all the presentations I wanted too...

I think I will be there next year though!

Looking forward to Austin... I perrsonally like the idea of changing cities every year. Helps keep things fresh and new! Good job in DC guys... see you in Austin!
    Rob Moore
    DemoWolf.com - Video Support Tutorials for Web Hosting Providers - since 2005.
    Video Tutorials for cPanel, Plesk, WordPress, Email, DNS, FTP and more!
    Custom Video Factory | Video Tutorial Translations | Branded Video Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by lostmind View Post
    Next year I personally would like to see more "meat" on the technical presentations...

I did get a bit sick of the "Buy our stuff" routine. If you are going to do that, at least do what Parallels did and outline the problems and offer some suggestions as well as promote your product (looking at you Rackspace and Softlayer)...

I think iNet could also do a better job of scheduling things a bit. I found myself skipping lunch one day to hit all the presentations I wanted too...

I think I will be there next year though!
    ditto - but I thought parallels was just as much of an offender and the microsoft virtualization one around hyper v I didnt even go to since I figured it was going to be a sales pitch which was more appropriate for the show floor.

I dont expect the sales pitches to change though seeing as how most of the perpetrators are platinum sponsors and I doubt they will not have them speaking and risk the revenue. easiest just to skip the sessions that you know who is going to pitch so as to not get bored.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Quote Originally Posted by DaWiseMouse View Post
    Indeed, it was all in all a great show.. I think iNet stepped up in a big way and did a great job with the presentation of a venue for us to make this show happen this year.
    Looking forward to seeing what can be done with Austin.. Purity Networks will be there for sure..
    Frank
    Where did you get your chairs? Those things were awesome..

Quote Originally Posted by MarioR View Post
    Austin Convention Center[/URL] July 19-21
    Isn't Texas far too close to the sun in July? I'm a Yankee, and the thought of being there at that time of the year is daunting...
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Isn't Texas far too close to the sun in July? I'm a Yankee, and the thought of being there at that time of the year is daunting...
    It's hot as heck in July, and probably hotter in Austin(I live in Dallas).
    Jacob Wall

I've got a strange feeling I'll make it there also. Seeing as how its only an hour and a half away from me.

I think I'm going to have to attend this one
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I had the same thought. It will be nice because it will be a direct flgith from Michigan. Yay to non stop flights.
    Synersis Media | Boutique Technology Marketing Agency

I enjoyed the show but I thought a lot of it was "same same" as the last couple of years.

I think I will skip next year and hope that the year after is less stale.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

I had a great time and I'm sure we'll be making an appearance next year too. I'm in Dallas so it'll be close to home -- that's always a plus.

bsh
    Brandon Hale | bhale@fortressitx.com | 888.500.0774

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    I dont expect the sales pitches to change though seeing as how most of the perpetrators are platinum sponsors and I doubt they will not have them speaking and risk the revenue. easiest just to skip the sessions that you know who is going to pitch so as to not get bored.
    I actually didn't get a chance to make it this year but I was really interested if iNet could save this conference from this sales pitch at every session. So far it looks like they did not.
    So once again, if you do go... the exhibit pass is probably all that you need.

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Matt View Post
    I enjoyed the show but I thought a lot of it was "same same" as the last couple of years.

I think I will skip next year and hope that the year after is less stale.

That's very unfortunate.... Was really upset that I missed it this year, but now I'm not.
    ISPCon sank a little while ago for the same reasons... I hope the same does not happen to this conference.
    INet is going to have to say to their sponsors. "We understand you want to sell your services, but if you keep pitching your product to all of the sessions you will just kill the conference and your sponsorship will be worth crap."

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
    I actually didn't get a chance to make it this year but I was really interested if iNet could save this conference from this sales pitch at every session. So far it looks like they did not...
    I think anyone that has been to a HostingCon would have to agree that this year's sessions were a big step up. We're working on getting some measures in place to make next year even better.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I love Texas. Couldn't make it to DC this year, but planning to go next - got it on my calendar!
    Blesta - The Billing Platform for Hosting Providers
    Client Management, Billing, & Support Software
    Trial - Demo | 714-923-7325 | Twitter @blesta

Will be going to this one. Since I live in Austin!

Summer in July is not as bad as in August... trust me. I've been here for 4+ years.

For those of you never been to Austin before, great music city. You definitely have to hit up 6th street during day and night times. Amazing bands, bars, clubs all over.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
    I actually didn't get a chance to make it this year but I was really interested if iNet could save this conference from this sales pitch at every session. So far it looks like they did not.
    So once again, if you do go... the exhibit pass is probably all that you need.
    I disagree with this statement. The sessions this year were the best they have ever been and I personally learned a lot. I personally just figure out who the "chronic pitchers" are and dont waste my time in their sessions - or use the session as a place to plug in my laptop to ac power and get some email work done. I would not skip the sessions over the handful of sales pitches - just avoid them - the speakers will get the message if next year no one shows up at their sessions because they have just been sales pitches in the past. that would be kind of humorous actually.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Quote Originally Posted by lostmind View Post
    If you are going to do that, at least do what Parallels did and outline the problems and offer some suggestions as well as promote your product (looking at you Rackspace and Softlayer)...
    I actually thought that Parallels was the most guilty of all. Their entire keynote was basically "Stop using the terrible product you have now and buy ours" along with a full feature list of everything their products did.

I know, I did choose to go to it, but the description had nothing to do with what was actually presented.
    Karl Stallknecht
    Slable :: powerful solutions. right price.
    Hosting | I.T. Solutions | Voice :: Cloud Telecom | Entertainment
    Phone: (703) 445-3391

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    The sessions this year were the best they have ever been and I personally learned a lot. I personally just figure out who the "chronic pitchers" are and dont waste my time in their sessions
    Whilst you expect a speaker to say who they are, and where they work, and what their experience is, this year (compared to the two @ Chicago Navy Pier) were generally more "meat" than "pitch" - although I was very choosy about which I went to this time.

The round-table type sessions (like the affiliate marketing one) were good, as was Tom Miltzer's interactive on acquisitions, and those chaired by Iain from Seaboard (who is a real "character" - please get him back next year).

Adam from Tucows/OpenSRS excelled with his 20 points, and whilst many had some relation to what opensrs sells, the information was the same whomever your registrar is - I only wrote down 4 of them, but they *will* be getting implemented before the year end ...

Any of the exhibitors prepared to say how many business cards they collected over the 2 days of "trading"/3 of "networking" ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    Any of the exhibitors prepared to say how many business cards they collected over the 2 days of "trading"/3 of "networking" ?
    We're still working on the the cataloging of contacts, estimated 300+.

Will be there in 2010.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast