Is RH Linux free?

It seems to me that it's not a free OS you can download? if anyone thinks i am wrong could you please correct me and point me towards a download?

Thanks

most linux distros have free iso versions availible for download. but many such as redhat offer added support and features with boxed versions...

linuxiso.org is a good place to grab downloads as webbcite stated...

The standard versiona re free but if you want something extra it costs $.
    Reminds me of someone
    Last edited by Palm; 10-02-2001 at 06:05 PM.
    PalmVersa Communications
    PalmVersa.com
    ICQ# 120775841

Red Hat is 100% free to download. Go to http://www.redhat.com/download/howto_download.html and read up!

James

Lightbulb Incidentally, so is Windows 2000

Don't believe me?

http://www.microsoft.com/serviceprov...grams/wwhp.asp

It's actually ONLY free for Web Hosting companies.

Dan
    Dan Esparza
    CagedTornado web services

Re: Is RH Linux free?

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    It seems to me that it's not a free OS you can download? if anyone thinks i am wrong could you please correct me and point me towards a download?

[list=1][*]go to www.redhat.com[*]select Download from the top right menu[/list=1]

I am a bit surprised you had difficulty finding the download...

I've personally been using RedHat since version 5.2. I've downloaded and burned 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, and the 7.2 beta (Roswell). Never paid a dime for it, aside from blank CDs totalling maybe $5.00 in four years.

Personally, when 7.2 is released, I'm going to go purchase it. I feel they deserve something, as I've received years of great service. I like what RedHat is doing, and it's about time I contributed something.

Plus, I want the Tux stickers that come in the box
    - Jman

As I know Linux kernel is totally free and you can download it from www.redhat.com
    But if you want to complete redhat linux7.2 with all utilities then you have to buy it .
    Last edited by mithilesh; 10-03-2001 at 03:42 PM.

Originally posted by mithilesh
    As I know Linux kernel is totally free and you can download it from www.redhat.com
    But if you want to complete redhat linux7.2 with all utilities then you have to buy it .

I don't think that RedHat Linux 7.2 has been released yet. The Red Hat site speaks of RedHat Linux 7.1 as the current version.

And yes, you can download the full Red Hat Linux 7.1 from the Red Hat site. You don't have to buy it. You can download the 4-CD set for intel architecture here

Anyone know the signifigant upgrades or new features in 7.2?

I love 7.1 and when 7.2 comes out I will check it out but id like to know how 7.2 is improved.

Thanks

You can actually download all 4 CDs of the 7.2 beta. I've been testing it on my laptop and one development box for about 3 or 4 weeks now, and I really like what I see.

I'm afraid I can't tell you what's new since 7.1, as I've used 6.2 up until now... but judging from my experience so far, I will be purchasing 7.2.

It comes with:

- Mozilla 0.9.3
    - XFree86 4.1.0.1
    - KDE 2.1
    - Gnome 1.4 (with Nautilis desktop environment)
    - 2.4.7 kernel

Given that these were bleeding-edge latest releases when the beta started, I'd guess these things will be slightly more up-to-date for the final.

I can say, it's very close to being ready for full release in my opinion. I use my laptop more than anything, and haven't had a single issue at all. I upgraded Mozilla, and that's about it.

Oh, and the installer was flawless -- first time I've ever installed Linux in graphical mode on this notebook (has a picky video chip).
    - Jman

Jm4n,
    Thanks for the reply. Besides the signifigant kernel upgrade do you know of any other improvments as far as the server install is concered?

Thanks

I did forget to mention, the default filesystem is now ext3, which is basically a journalling version of ext2 and is fully backward compatible. I'm using ext3 on both of my test systems, and it's nice. Note that you can upgrade an ext2 system to ext3 without even rebooting.

Also, it now uses xinetd by default instead of inetd -- I'm not sure if they did that in 7.1 or not. It's better, but I'm still getting used to it (change is good, but I can be stubborn).

Grub is now the default boot loader. It's nice having a graphical screen for this rather than "lilo: " and having to type an image name etc. Note that Lilo also now has a graphical screen, but Grub is nicer for the most part. If you don't dual-boot this probably isn't much of an issue.

Disk Druid has been redesigned, and it looks a lot like Partition Magic Pro. Setting up your drive is extremely painless now during the install process.

There are probably a lot of other changes, but these are what I noticed. Other than this, for server purposes I don't generally use many tools that come with RH by default; I always compile my own Apache, PHP, MySQL, and so on. So I'm mostly interested in the core of the system, and the biggest change, really, is having more up-to-date libraries and tools, as is usually the case with a x.2 RedHat release

I have not yet had a chance to test any server-side tools, but I plan to do so soon; so far, I've used it more as a desktop system, and it has proven very stable so far. I have done some stress testing (have you ever compiled XFree86? Huge...), and it takes abuse as well as you'd expect a 2.4 kernel to - recovers nicely from a serious pounding.
    - Jman

Originally posted by Jm4n
    ...Also, it now uses xinetd by default instead of inetd -- I'm not sure if they did that in 7.1 or not. It's better, but I'm still getting used to it (change is good, but I can be stubborn)....
    Yup, xinetd was in 7.1. I like it but, as you say, it is a change.