Talking I need Advice... Rent or Buy ???

Hello, i have a problem here:

If i buy the Server ($1250) i can co-locate it for $100 per mont. And the Server isn't mine, if the Hard-Drive Crash i have to buy a new one.

If i rent a Server i have to pay ($400) Setup Fee, and $150 per mont, if the Procesor or HD crashes the DC will replace it without a cost to me.

So, i need your advice, will you go to use the $400 of the setup to buy a New Server or you prefer to rent it ?

Luck

I'd choose a server without a setup fee, or go to a datacenter that doesn't charge one.

I'm not a fan of setup fees because if you are disappointed in the performance of the server/network, that setup fee is lost money. You'll never get it back. I'd rather pay a little bit extra each month in order to keep moving as an option in the future.

Colo-ing can be a little risky. You have to pay for all hardware for the server if anything breaks. If something goes wrong and the DC isn't local, you'll either have to pay them much more for replacements and labor - or have them ship (which some charge for) the server back out to you, and then you have pay for the hardware, plus all of the time that your server was out of commission

It all boils down to personal preference. Weigh the pros and cons of it, and try to find a datacenter that you feel will be a safe and supportive environment for your valuables.

I would prefer to have the server colocated than renting it from the datacenter. However, colocation always requires me to think more than just simply putting my credit card information in some companies.

New server should always come with at least a year technical support including hardware failure. So make sure the server retailer will take care of such incident when it really happens.

Do you plan to grow to more than a few servers? If so go ahead and buy, once you hit a half dozen servers or so colocation & owning the equipment will be cheaper each month than dedicated server rental. If you don't think you'll get that many servers then rent.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Co-lo machines can seem like a good idea at the start, certainly they give you a 'warm fuzzy feeling' but, they also give you sleepless nights...

Unless you have a killer deal or, alternativley have specific hardware needs, I would always rent.

The only thing about co-lo machines is, if you are a reseller of sservices it is much easier to up and move you and your clients with just DNS changes than it would be to extricate yourself from a dedicated server...
    info@cian.net
    http://www.cian.net/ ¦ A PLESK Gold Partner
    IP transit, private circuit, co-location, dedicated server, web hosting, domain registration, design & consultancy services

Oh yeh, that is unless you are running PLESK or similar on both in which case you just run the backup on host one and restore on host two... PLESK even supports the backup on one and restore on other in real time over SSH :-)
    info@cian.net
    http://www.cian.net/ ¦ A PLESK Gold Partner
    IP transit, private circuit, co-location, dedicated server, web hosting, domain registration, design & consultancy services

Originally posted by gurab
    Co-lo machines can seem like a good idea at the start, certainly they give you a 'warm fuzzy feeling' but, they also give you sleepless nights...

Unless you have a killer deal or, alternativley have specific hardware needs, I would always rent.

The only thing about co-lo machines is, if you are a reseller of sservices it is much easier to up and move you and your clients with just DNS changes than it would be to extricate yourself from a dedicated server...
    What you say is true for small amounts of servers (under 10) but here's my thoughts:

I _hate_ to be at the mercy of someone else's tech support department. If a drive fails I don't want to be sitting on my hands going "man I hope <insert dedicated server provider> gets that drive replaced fast!" of course most times all they do is replace the drive, data isn't their concern whereas with my own equipment I can go in, pull the drive, see what's up, maybe it's still readable if not bootable, and try to salvage things.

Another reason I like owning equipment, you can upgrade things easier, need more ram? open it up and pop it in, need more drive? just put it in and format it up.

Also after about 6 machines the curve shifts and it becomes cheaper to colocate, a LOT cheaper after you hit a couple dozen machines. I currently have 32 (or might be a couple more) servers colocated, my cost per month is about $2400, those same 32 servers at say, rackshack, would cost $3392 per month if they were all $99 servers (and most of them would be around $149 or $159 a month at rackshack since they almost all have 1G ram and 2x60 or 2x40 or 2x80 harddrives).
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I would personally rent but you ca have some limitations with that.

Mark

Thanks to all the people that help me to make a Decision, so i'll rent the Server's and after 8 Server's i will rent a Cabinet so i can Buy

Thanks a lot!

I went straight ahead and colocated - as i wanted to be in control of everything!