Cloud components list?

Can anybody give me a list of the components needed to start a private cloud?
    I've read tons of articles on cloud computing but theirs not a single one that just gives you a list what you will need!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Boreley View Post
    I've read tons of articles on cloud computing but theirs not a single one that just gives you a list what you will need!
    The main components are:

- Hypervisor Server
    - Controller Server
    - Storage Device
    Ronard Libao
    GMO Cloud America Inc.
    http://us.gmocloud.com/blog/
      2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Boreley View Post
    You can build a cloud a scalable cloud with 1 Hypervisor node.

What Hypervisor did you want to offer?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hostus-ryan View Post
    You can build a cloud a scalable cloud with 1 Hypervisor node.

What Hypervisor did you want to offer?
    How can you build a cloud with 1 hypervisor? Thats just a VPS node. You'd need 2-3 to start with, along with a management server. Where will the cloud instance cold migrate to in event of hardware failure? I do agree it will still be scalable.

You will need storage, this can be in a SAN or more reliably Onapp now offers onboard storage utilizing the hard drives in hypervisors themselves. Reason it's more reliable, SAN goes down/breaks/dies, your cloud is down! SSD's or high performance SAS is recommended for storage.

You will then need a few higher end switches, to plug in network and storage. You will need stacking modules to stack these together. And you will need a lot of network cabling.

It can be pretty complicated as it is not just plug and play like the way you plug a normal server into a switch, there is a fair bit or network/storage engineering required. You are better off just "hiring" a private cloud infrastructure service, unless you do want to fork about £10k or so on hardware/switches and a rack.

For software you really have a choice between OnApp or Openstack, a lot of larger providers opt for OnApp as it's supported by OnApp/UK2, so it has business/corporate support. I believe RHEL actually offers support packages for openstack as well, however.

Here's what OnApp suggest: http://onapp.com/cloud/requirements/ http://onapp.com/storage/
    Last edited by codu; 11-10-2013 at 07:00 AM.
    - Colin Dunn | Systems Administrator
    I think CentOS is a pretty cool guy. eh runs mah server and doesnt afraid of anything...
    ^ That sig/meme is so old, I just don't have the heart to change it. I hope the cool kids around still get it... 2008 was a good year!
      1 Not allowed!

Cybernes Hosting: Hosting Cusco
      0 Not allowed!