What are some of the best Shared hosting site out there?

What are the best web hosts out there?
    (uptime, CPU load limits, space, bandwidth etc.)

I have looked at webstrikesolutions.com, lunarpages.com,
    and hostgator.com but i'm not sure if any of those are
    any good, because personally I have no direct experience
    with them.

Any suggestions out there?

depending on your disk / bandwidth needs, i would highly recommend precisioneffect or hostrefugee

what kind of site are you trying to host? any example?
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    General Manager - John K.

Quote Originally Posted by choicewiz View Post
    The problem is, those requirements tend to be mutually exclusive. Hosts offering the "best" (ie. largest) space and bandwidth tend to be not-so-good on cpu availability, load and uptime. There's some variability of course - good and bad across the range - but the trend is there.

So if you want recommendations estimate your space and transfer requirements realistically, state your budget and people will most likely have some ideas for you.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Define what you mean by term "best"

Cheers
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

My budget is $5 to $11/month nothing fancy. It's a site like
    craigslist but its only a start up.

When I say best I mean something good that will run a community script like craigslist, phpbb, oscommerce, or joomla.

Many people on these forums, including me, really like hostgator. They have great options for hosting and pricing, super support, I've had 100% uptime and generally - very low load times, except for one issue that was resolved in less than an hour which is to be expected. The owner sometimes pops in these forums to help users in the rare case they have problems that normal support fails to fix.

You might also try imountain or dreamhost (no great uptime, but good for startups with decent support and speeds).

Good luck. Remember to stay away from sites like 1&1, Lypha, Hostmonster, siteground, and IX Webhosting which have had many horror stories posted about them. Especially Lypha and 1&1 - both are EVIL!
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

Medialayer.com is great for dynamic sites - very fast page loads and excellent reliability. Comparing to others you might think their space and transfer limits are low but if you're just starting up it'll most likely be a long time before you outgrow even the smallest plan.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Thank you so much for the responses, I'll be having a look at those hosting sites especially hostgator which looks really promising.
    If you have anymore suggestions please let me know.

Let us know what you choose.

I have looked at webstrikesolutions.com, lunarpages.com,
    and hostgator.com but i'm not sure if any of those are
    any good, because personally I have no direct experience
    with them.

Any suggestions out there?
    I've been with Lunarpages since April of 2007 and been very happy having 12 sites on my shared plan. What kind of site(s) are you looking to have hosted?
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

I am having a tough choice between lunarpages and hostgator.
    I would also like to run multiple sites on there, would need
    access to cron, php4+5 and mysql4. Between the two hosts does
    anyone have experience with the two of them and can guide me
    in the right direction?

Looks like i'll be going with hostgator. Does anyone have anything else to add, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

downtownhost have the best reviews on this forum, there is also uberhost, and steadfast.
    Don't go for overseller hosts. They are full of marketing fluff.
    Last edited by como1; 04-03-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by como1 View Post
    downtownhost have the best reviews on this forum, there is also uberhost, and steadfast.
    Don't go for overseller hosts. They are full of marketing fluff.
    You are right they have great ratings on here. I also had a few questions for their support and the chats went quick and fast. I am very satisfied with their services. I am signing up now.

Thanks.

You are right they have great ratings on here. I also had a few questions for their support and the chats went quick and fast. I am very satisfied with their services. I am signing up now.

Thanks.
    Wonderful choice! They come highly recommended from many users around this board. I personally recommend them to any client of ours seeking web hosting.

Well share hosting has 100% uptime? Even dedicated server can't get there.

Awsome choice, hope you have a successful site.

Thanks.
    Thank you very much for choosing us, and welcome aboard Please let me know if I can assist you in anything.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore