Feedback request for a server monitoring service.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on a server monitoring solution that I've built that I'm struggling to get people to sign up for.

The site is here http://servermonitoringhq.com

I guess what I'm looking for is answers to the following

1. Do you have a need for a service like this ?
    2. What is missing from my service that would turn you into a customer ?
    3. Do you have an existing solution that you don't want to move away from ?

Thanks

Hey, just having a quick glimpse over your site and it looks like a really good piece of software. Your pricing looks very reasonable too.

For me, I use cacti. It is free and provides monitoring for all types of hardware. Your tool looks like a Web 2.0 cacti.

As cacti is quite complicated to set up for most people I think your solution would be great for people renting dedicated servers which have little knowledge of unix.

I will give your software a try within the next few days.

*edit

Sorry, I didn't answer your questions, here you go:
    1. Do you have a need for a service like this ? - Yes. All servers should always be monitored.
    2. What is missing from my service that would turn you into a customer ? By the looks of it, not much is missing. As I said I will give it a try.
    3. Do you have an existing solution that you don't want to move away from ? - Cacti. I like its customisability and people have created templates online for just about every aspect of hardware monitoring.
    Last edited by mike86; 02-23-2012 at 12:05 PM.

mike86, thanks appreciate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Status2K View Post
    mike86, thanks appreciate this.
    We're sorry, but something went wrong.

We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly.

I got that when adding a server any idea?

Thanks, I'm looking at this now.

Its very important to offer also SMS Alerts, Voice Call Alerts, Twitter/Facebook Alerts - for me these are some of my priorities.

well, we have tried your... other software, which as far as i can see, its 90% same.
    Right after installing it and visiting the frontend of the script, apache of the monitored server started crashing.
    Sent a mail to you and never got an answer, so we thought we spent some money to a uselless script/a non supported script.
    We do monitor all our servers with another solution, but with your script, we had the idea of giving to our vps clients a basic, cheap and good looking alternative.

So if you need a feedback, here is mine:
    1. create a better website for your software and create some good tutorials for it. Your installation instructions had mistakes like wrong paths etc. Fortunately, the installation was too easy so your mistakes were not a headache.
    2. Create some kind of helpdesk at your website. Having just a simple contact form looks unprofesional.
    3. ANSWER at the mails you get. At presale, your answer was fast. At after sale, your answer never came.
    4. Profesionalism is the only way to get customers. Your script has some potential but customers need to trust in order to buy.

Support for hardware RAID controllers. MegaRAID, ServerRAID (IBM), PERC (Dell), SmartArray (HP), 3ware, etc. and most importantly support across multiple models offered by each of these vendors. If you can give status of the disks behind the RAID controllers. That would be a plus too. This is always a pain in the ass for most sysadmins.

How about temperature warnings as well?

You get the above readings from within the OS itself. Requires no access to IPMI or the like.

SMS alerts happen to be a highest priority for me... as most of my clients insist to have that feature... Currently I suggest them to go for Zabbix or Opsview.... But your tool looks promising...

If you could have the SMS alerts feature too.. Then I am sure that this is going to be a Hit in the industry...

Quote Originally Posted by junodavid View Post
    SMS alerts happen to be a highest priority for me... as most of my clients insist to have that feature... Currently I suggest them to go for Zabbix or Opsview.... But your tool looks promising...

If you could have the SMS alerts feature too.. Then I am sure that this is going to be a Hit in the industry...
    Thanks I've now added SMS functionality. Currently unlimited SMS for every account.

I remember when you launched this software back several years ago and it really went down well! I wonder what has changed.

The price is very reasonable. As asked before I would be looking for Twitter alerts too.

Perhaps you could do some deals with VPS or Dedi companies to have your software included in their packages? Even if you are only charging $0.50 per software with the amount they could sell you would make a decent amount back. Just an idea

Need Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Nisd View Post
    Need Windows
    Agree.

Every time we try to add a server for testing. We get a error posted it on the second post but they never got back to us yet.

I'm struggling to get people to sign up for.
    You could answer sales related questions
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1121725
    (2 months and no reply)

Quote Originally Posted by BeZazz View Post
    You could answer sales related questions
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1121725
    (2 months and no reply)
    Contacted them asked for a trial of Status2K, they said if it did not meet our standards they would provide me with a Full Refund.

Purchased it contacted them 2 days later because it did not work how we wanted it to. And they never responded.

Quote Originally Posted by junodavid View Post
    SMS alerts happen to be a highest priority If you could have the SMS alerts feature too.. Then I am sure that this is going to be a Hit in the industry...
    We've implemented SMS alerts now

We tried it out using the trial a couple months back, while it is a great bit of software, we did not sign up for a plan because we were a bit uneasy about you having SSH access to the server.

I am not saying that you would compromise our security, and during the trial we did not notice any issues, but you can not say that you would never be compromised yourself.
    This account is no longer active!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon-Orqoo View Post
    We tried it out using the trial a couple months back, while it is a great bit of software, we did not sign up for a plan because we were a bit uneasy about you having SSH access to the server.
    Thanks Simon, I've had a lot of feedback similar to that so I've changed the way we collect server statistics.

I've now written a bash script that sits on your server and is called every minute by crontab.

This is still easy to install and doesn't require any other software on the server.

Thanks I've now added SMS functionality. Currently unlimited SMS for every account.

Perfect.. That sounds great... Then we are all set to go.... Thanks for the updates....

Im using UptimeRobot. Although they do 5-minute checks, I believe that its okay for my needs and does the job for me. It also has different notification options. You can take a look at it. www.uptimerobot.com

Another option that I have in mind is Pingdom. They do 1-minute checks and has different notification options as well. They have add-on, paid and free plans as well.

To be honest, I think you need to have a free plan so your users can try your service and let them decide if it fits their needs or not. You might want to provide something like, a free plan that can monitor 1 server, 1 minute check, with 5 sms alerts, etc.

Or might let them try a plan for a good time span. You can also provide a video on your homepage, rather than the traditional webapp Ui screenshot and let users know why they need to your web app and not others and what differs you from existing solutions.

Regards
    Rg Enzon, Founder & Designer @ Play Technica
    Building user interfaces for humans.

It's always difficult trying to break into an established market, there a few things that put me off:

Twitter Bootstrap theme - This is generally an indication that you can't afford to spend money on a real website design, trivial but since I've worked with the theme it probably puts me off personally (over a more well known brand).
    Features page - The images on this page are poor quality

We use Scoutapp for our applications as it integrates right into Rails to give us other stuff like performance metrics (as well as downtime).

You might want to consider having a free plan instead of a "free trial" which allows basic features but allows you to lower the barrier to entry to then upsell the user.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on a server monitoring solution that I've built that I'm struggling to get people to sign up for.

The site is here http://servermonitoringhq.com

I guess what I'm looking for is answers to the following

1. Do you have a need for a service like this ?
    2. What is missing from my service that would turn you into a customer ?
    3. Do you have an existing solution that you don't want to move away from ?

Thanks
    1. Yes
    2. Your website actually explaining what you do*
    3. Cacti.

I took a look at your site, and until I looked at your blog and managed to find the post with the details on how it worked, I had no idea from reading your site - home page and tour & features page did not tell me.

Then, when I did, i find that I need to provide you access to the server via SSH (or install an Agent).

For all the screenshots, I still have no idea how it works - why not put a demo account with real data online, just lock out the ability to make changes.

If I were to choose something like this, it would have to do more and be at least cost-comparable to what I use now.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004