What is Directory submission. ?

What Important of directory submission in Google.
    Actually, directories are websites, visited mostly by search engine optimizers. And visited only to submit their own websites. So where is value of directory submission.??.?
      0 Not allowed!

Google prefers directories that have an approval system and that don't approve every site submitted (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pu1YWcIh04). So the value of diectory submission is really limited to those that are tightly moderated, are high PR and preferably niche. Which excludes many or most of them.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi in my opinion Directory submission is a one type of your keyword target at that keyword add in directory site and after that link approved so your keyword popularity is increase and also website so this is lot's of benefit by directory submission.
      0 Not allowed!

Directory submission is the most common approach to build backlinks towards a website. It does not give you traffic, but it provides good backlinks and help to increase your website pagerank.
      0 Not allowed!

Directory submissions are good for ppl who enjoy using SEO methods from the 1990's :-)
    But seriously, directory submissions have limited use, and can often cause more harm than good. Unless the directory is specifically targeted I'd stay away from listing. As Google says, '...stay away from bad neighborhoods...' when submitting links (no link farm sites).
      0 Not allowed!

They have less and less seo power.
      0 Not allowed!

I find that the quality directories are being picked up by the search engines more and more and being shown in the results. I'm thinking things are changing. Again. What's new...
      0 Not allowed!

Directory submission is helpful for increasing PR and SERP. Even all directories do not help in ranking because some are automated approve directories. High PR, Dofollow and fast or regular caching directories are more helpful.

Suppose, your site is approved by a high directory and it is fast caching by Google and other major search engines as well and the page or category where your site is submitted is also cached then it will notify to google for your site. Same thing happens with at least 50 web directories means 50 times google bot know about your sites and such it helps to improve your ranking and PR because 50 web directories are giving your reference to google and now your site is well know for google as well.
    Last edited by philipdaniel; 03-09-2012 at 01:20 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

In my opinion Directory submission has lost its important google does not like because of link exchange. it is the time of getting link from latest strategy like link wheel.
      0 Not allowed!

You can also target specific keywords or key phrases using directory submissions. Use the important keywords/key phrases as titles for your directory submissions.
      0 Not allowed!

Submitting links to directories serve as the directions for the search engine spiders. The more frequently they see a link the more the chances of getting to your site. The more the number of times a search engine visits your site from external references the more the ranking they will give, considering your website is very important.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason&Co View Post
    Submitting links to directories serve as the directions for the search engine spiders. The more frequently they see a link the more the chances of getting to your site. The more the number of times a search engine visits your site from external references the more the ranking they will give, considering your website is very important.
    These are not benefits that come exclusively from submitting to directories, the same can be said for links from any source.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alliepatchell View Post
    Speaking of directories, aren't these considered link farms after Google's Panda update? They have thousand of pages with outbound links to all sort of sites. That's my notion of a link farm.
    I would refer you to the link I gave at the start of this thread for google's view on directories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pu1YWcIh04)

The wikipedia definition of a link farm is:
    " a link farm is any group of web sites that all hyperlink to every other site in the group". So unless all the sites listed in a directory also linked to each other, it would not be a link farm.
      0 Not allowed!

Circa 1999 I bought a web submission "wizard" that submitted your listing to 2000 web directories.

After using it, I received thousands of spam emails, but virtually no traffic from any of the directories and no improvement in google rank.

I suspect they are even less use now

Having said that, if you stick to relevant, moderated directories that don't ask for a recpirocal link (or payment) then they may be of some benefit.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gotlivechat View Post
    Directory submissions are good for ppl who enjoy using SEO methods from the 1990's :-)
    But seriously, directory submissions have limited use, and can often cause more harm than good. Unless the directory is specifically targeted I'd stay away from listing. As Google says, '...stay away from bad neighborhoods...' when submitting links (no link farm sites).
    Well i don't think its just method of 90's. Yeah poorly maintained and some typical types of directories can be harmful to you but many directories are really good they can give you back link and specially i found it useful for SERP
      0 Not allowed!

hi,
    Directory submission an off page SEO. We can get better ranking and website for the backlink,traffic in Google search engine by using directory submission.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by pappukumargn View Post
    hi,
    Directory submission an off page SEO. We can get better ranking and website for the backlink,traffic in Google search engine by using directory submission.
    Following Matt Cutts recent statement that there will soon be an update which looks at sites which "over-optimize", there has been some speculation that this will impact not only on ordinary sites which have large numbers of reciprocal links (and therefore large numbers of outbound links on links pages)but also on many of the non-human edited directories. If this happens, it will further devalue a lot of directory submissions.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by johnlee5757 View Post
    Directory submission is useful if you submit your site in high pr directories to get the backlinks.
    I guess that "high pr" is relevant to where the site concerned stands.
    If e.g. it is PR0 and isn't doing well in SERPs then a possible link from a PR2 directory could be considered a (relatively) high PR link. But if the site is PR3-4 and is doing well then a high pr directory would perhaps be a 5+ and there aren't so many of them, especially if you are looking for free submissions.
      0 Not allowed!

Directory submission is one of the best activities to get the stable back links.
      0 Not allowed!

directory submission on quality high page ranked websites that does not have automatic submission is the most essential step in link building, and Google boost the SERP's of submitted websites
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by addlinkweb View Post
    directory submission on quality high page ranked websites that does not have automatic submission is the most essential step in link building, and Google boost the SERP's of submitted websites
    Submission in itself does not achieve anything, the only possible benefits come if the site actually gets listed.
      0 Not allowed!