Nine "Golden Rules" To Follow while Finding A Web Host

The hosting market has grown bigger in the last 2-years and many new companies jumped in hosting business. Most of them have been attracted by the industry's promise of special growth. Asian market is increased by fifteen percent each year until 2008. This prediction doesn't include the Japanese growth ratio. Europeans spent 1.8 billion dollars for hosting in 2003 and expectations for the coming years even bigger. According to the industry Researchers, the European web hosting market will reach $6.8 billion by the end of 2005. This business is still growing up and up towards more higher latitudes even in 2011.

Here are some suggestions to infant web-hosting companies and especially for those who need to choose these new web-hosting providers;

1. Do some Research Before Choosing:

Don't worry about Testimonials on the host's page. You have to check for your business if the provider is as reliable/comfort as it claims. Just contact them and ask; "Where is their data center located?", "What happens when I exceed a bandwidth limit?", "Do they provide basic help with scripting?", "Will i get full control on my domain and if not do you register the domain at customer's name?" etc. Ask all questions that may affect your website.

2. Check for Company's Establishment

Check if a web-host states his business address or phone number. If a particular host does not have this information available or does not provide support phone number it may mean they have no existence(physical offices).

3. Customer Services Help Desk

While choosing a hosting company, make sure that they provide free open and approachable customer support facility. It does not need to be a Toll-Free phone but having one is an advantage.

4. Always find Reasonable Prices

Chesck host prices before you go and always match them with the available market prices. Price under $10 a month for 2 GB space / 50 GB bandwidth or more is not fine. It means the host oversells heavily or tries to underbid the market.

5. Go Through Host's Policies

Make sure you go through Host's Policy. Some providers have very strange Terms of Service (TOS).

6. Don't Allow Illegal Activity

Avoid Internet Spammers. Keep one thing in your mind that the company who is violating Legal Terms of business can be harmful for your business as well someday.

7. Check Business and Brand History

Use archive.org and find more information about the past business performance of a hosting provider. If this company has a good enough business experience in selling nuts then you can't expect them to have strong knowledge in providing reliable hosting services.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Chesck host prices before you go and always match them with the available market prices. Price under $10 a month for 2 GB space / 50 GB bandwidth or more is not fine. It means the host oversells heavily or tries to underbid the market.
    $10 for 2GB? If that's overselling, I think that I can't find a host that isn't overselling. That's $5/GB. I can tell you right now probably no one on this forum has an overhead even NEAR $5/GB. If I was selling hosting for that much, I guess I'd be rich. I'm uncomfortable with an overhead cost that reaches close to $0.5/GB, which is unusually high (imo).

EDIT: Would like to clarify, that there is a certain market for expensive hosting like that, is it outrageous? No. Is it more than the average client would pay, certainly. We all have different things that make the $10 imaginary price-tag justifiable, but $10 for 2GB seems like a different market than maybe people are targeting.
    Last edited by Sinoco; 08-18-2011 at 07:28 PM.

$0.5/GB might be high for people not using enterprise grade drives. Hosts that care about uptime will have these types of drives.
    █ Total Server Solutions
    OnApp Cloud Solutions, CDN, DNS, Load Balancers, and Hybrid Dedicated Servers
    █ Colocation with Colo@
    Visit us at http://www.totalserversolutions.com/

$10 for 2GB? If that's overselling, I think that I can't find a host that isn't overselling. That's $5/GB. I can tell you right now probably no one on this forum has an overhead even NEAR $5/GB. If I was selling hosting for that much, I guess I'd be rich. I'm uncomfortable with an overhead cost that reaches close to $0.5/GB, which is unusually high (imo)
    Pretty much every hosts here does oversell. MediaLayer.com advertises itself as doing zero overselling and their prices reflect the expense of doing that. 2GB is an awful lot more space than most people use anyway.
    HostingRR.com

I'm developing the site HostingRR.com--trying to create an excellent resource for people to learn about web hosting. Please PM me with any thoughts.

Overselling is more like 1TB Space/5TB Bandwidth or Unlimited Diskspace/Bandwidth. Most reliable hosts could offer truly 5GB Diskspace / 50GB Bandwidth for under $10/month.

Other than that, thank you for sharing it with us. It should be useful to many people.
    CrocWeb Cloud - High Availability Cloud Website Hosting
    > NVMe Storage, LSCache, Redis, Global CDN, Unlimited SSL
    > Triple Data Replication, Automated Server Failover
    > Bad Bots, Malware, DDoS Protection

3. Customer Services Help Desk

While choosing a hosting company, make sure that they provide free open and approachable customer support facility. It does not need to be a Toll-Free phone but having one is an advantage.
    I suppose that could be good option to check. However you need to understand that till the moment you sign up you are not customer and all of your questions might be considered as presales and replied fast in order to get you as client.
    That would be nice if nothing would change since you become customer.

Quote Originally Posted by FRCorey View Post
    $0.5/GB might be high for people not using enterprise grade drives. Hosts that care about uptime will have these types of drives.
    I agree. $0.50 per GB has to be a cheap oversold drive.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting