For the past two mornings when I wake up, the server load is around 1.5 to 2.0.

Although, everyother time it's around 0.00 which I like

Any ideas?

It seems to be going down, as I reload the page with that information on it.

Ahh, just went up - 2.31

I won't really take too much notice, I seen them on some server go as high as 27.5, but the web-pages load approximately the same speed as when it is 0.03.

Thanks Matt.

I restarted the server and it's back to 0.02 right now, although I can't be restarting it every morning.

Originally posted by MattF
    I won't really take too much notice, I seen them on some server go as high as 27.5, but the web-pages load approximately the same speed as when it is 0.03.

Well they kind of do. A straight webpage will probably load OK but anything that requires processing will not.

Depends if you can live with a slow site. Optimal is upto .6 .4 .4 IMVHO

[/B][/QUOTE]
    Depends if you can live with a slow site. Optimal is upto .6 .4 .4 IMVHO [/B][/QUOTE]

Humm, it depends really, I think you can safely go close to 1, also, be aware in duals that number is quite deifferent, and you can support loads up to 2 with no problem
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

Hell, my main server sits on a min of 7., 42., .75 to 101.
    Yes, over 100.

At any given time it is pumping 2 to 3 mbps.

Here's my currents stats:

Last 1 minute: 88.10
    Last 5 minutes: 79.12
    Last 15 minutes: 42.95

I'll re-post in a few hours.

Originally posted by Dylan
    Hell, my main server sits on a min of 7., 42., .75 to 101.
    Yes, over 100.

At any given time it is pumping 2 to 3 mbps.
    I can't even load your site it's so slow- maybe there is a lesson there

Ye, it's dropped to 9.44

Should be ok now.

[Edited by Dylan on 02-10-2001 at 12:30 PM]

Question server load

Hi what do you think is an acceptable server load per site ? i mean i also like to have a load of 0.00 but there are times it reaches to 30.0

my question , what do you think is an acceptable server load per site on a server ?

thanks

elijaH

elijah, you can get a rough estimate of how busy by calculating [Fraction of Capactity] = [Load Average] / (1 + [Load Average]). If you've got a load average of 30, that means that you're running at about 97% of peak capacity.

Also, the time it takes to load pages is roughly proportional to the load average. So a load average of 30 means it will take 30 times as long to serve a web page as if you had a load average of 1.

Generally speaking, I'd try to keep the load average below 1 most of the time, and if it ever went above 5 I'd start looking at upgrading the system or offloading some of the work to a second machine.

Smile Re:

Thanks cperciva...i'm taking some notes down :)

elijaH

you guys need to run "top" and see what is eating up your load averages. You may be experiencing just high loads from your log analyzation programs. You should reset them to every 3 hrs in the crontab and create a perl script that rotates the logs. It helps keep less strain on the system.

James R. Clark II
    Nethosters Inc.
    http://www.nethosters.com

Well, some of my clients have this one file (author.exe, no idea what it is, still have to check it out) that uses like 64% of the CPU... luckily it's only accessed once in a blue moon... can you imagine if they all access it at the same time? Ouch!

Personally, I like it when my load averages are all under 1.
    I don't get too worried if they are at 2.00 for short period but I like things at its best on my server and for good reason. Whenever I find it going high I can tell that things start to slow up esp. when users start running badly coded cgi. Right now they at 0.38
    iBoxHosting.com - WebHosting for as little as .16 cents per day. Quality and Reliable Services

I also generally like to try to make sure the load averages are below 1. Right now, I'm up to .22.
    VOIPO - VoIP Telephone Service