Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favourite programming language?

Whats yours?
    -Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

I would say PHP. It's a handy language for almost any use, or at least proof-of-concept.
    e-Tech-Solution.com: Shared Windows 2003 Hosting and Cross-platform Web Development

TeX
    Now seriously: Perl.
    ReflexNetworks means Happy Clients!

used to do a lot of C. since i got the new job ive only been writing perl and im quite liking it.. a very powerful, yet simple and extensive language

Mine is....

My favourite languages are PHP and PERL

PHP, since I'm fluent in it.. I'm starting to like Python though.

Hrm.. My favorite would have to be HTML

j/k

I like PHP and (Im trying to learn Python.. but havent really started getting into it in depth yet)

Python or C++.

C all the way, baby!

Not that I get to do much of it any more

Now it's mostly C++, Java, PHP, Perl yada yada yada

PHP for sure. I know 8 different languages and PHP is the most fun as well as most solid scripting language.

C++ is the best compiled application language.

For most things I like to use either java or some form of ML.

php cause my perl scripts like:
    !#usr/bin/perl
    print "hello, world";
    and it out puts internal server error 500.

PHP, Ruby and Python.

PHP because i know it the best and Python and Ruby because I love the simplicity and style of the code.

Perl for structured and Ruby for OO ones
    CoolWebServe - a great choice for offshore support and administration services

C++ and PHP, though I use whatever language suits the task at hand best, if I have a choice.
    #include<cstdio>
    char*s="#include<cstdio>%cchar*s=%c%s%c;%cint main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}";
    int main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}

heh dont laugh but right now my favorite language is blitz basic becuase lately I've been spending more time making downloadable games than web applications. bbasic allows you to import c and asm routines for heavy lifting but abstracts all of the annoying HDC type code away in simple data types like Timage. It's also faily OO (although it could use some work in that department).

I do like PHP for websites mainly because of the price tag however we use cold fusion and java at my enterprise level day job website. I have written lots of C++ which is really only as good as the libraries you use with it. I'm not a big fan of windows.h or stdlib.h but I'd be happy to write STL code for the rest of my life if it played better with GUI operating systems.

I do php for living but get the most kick out of bash scripting

My personal favorite is LISP.

I never thought I would say this, but I believe Java would have to be my favourite language right now. Coming from a long tradition of C and C++, and spending a good deal of that time sneering at many elements of Java, I have changed my mind. The asthetic appeals to me, as well as many of the extremely high quality open source projects on offer (Eclipse, Spring, Hibernate, ActiveMQ, all of the Apache projects and the list goes on). It can seem like a never ending climb atop a mountian of APIs but the view appears to be very good once you get atop it.

I seem to change my mind depending on what I've been learning most recently. Chronologically I think my travels were: Basic, 6502 and 68000 assembler, Pascal, Fortran, Modula2, C, Perl, TCL, C++, Awk and now Java. I've peeked at Ruby, C# and Python, and I am not going to count shell scripting. Often I find myself wanting to rewrite old APIs in languages that impress me, just to see whether it's sexier, I am pretty certain that isn't a productive habit.

As experimental languages go, D and Cω are pretty neat.

Originally posted by Content-Type.com
    PHP for sure. I know 8 different languages and PHP is the most fun as well as most solid scripting language.

C++ is the best compiled application language.
    You can't be serious? Even that nasty Visual C++ is better than regular old c++. I would choose my visual basic of any type of c++.. any day. Visual Basic.. 4 outdoes c++ and we're currently in 6, integrating to .net although it will take years before everyone is completely taken away from 6. Infact I may never go.

maddudemike, are you accessing it via the web?

You need to add

print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n"

before outputting any content

Sorry, still laughing at the post I quoted in my last post.

I've done a bit of everything (even -- COBOL), but these days, my favorite for the different types of things that are part of my job :

1. Web development
    PHP almost exclusively; although I am slowly warming up to Python.

2. "Classic" development (but I haven't done any of this in a few years)
    Java & C#

3. Quick one-liner scripts in Linux
    PHP, but I'm moving away from that and more into Python

4. Database modeling
    XML -- nothing better out there, really.

I've dabbled in almost everything -- and am certified in C++ (but haven't had the opportunity to use it professionally). The one thing that I did but didn't enjoy was Visual Basic 6. I still don't like it (for personal reasons -- so please don't start flaming).

so please don't start flaming
    ... What about stare at you weirdly?

Just kidding. We all are entitled to our likes and dislikes. If it's personal especcially.

"The fact that people are entitled to their personal opinions, and they might not agree with yours" <-- this concept sometimes gets lost in WHT, which is why I added the don't flame thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast