View Poll Results: Average Response Time by your DC?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 1 hour

38 76.00%
  • Under 6 hours

9 18.00%
  • Under 24 hours

3 6.00%
  • 24+ hours

0 0%

typical DC response times?

What is your general experience with response times from datacenters? As a management company we work with many different DCs. From my experience, premier and economy hosts a like we have average response times ranging from 5 minutes to a few hours. SoftLayer, ThePlanet, Steadfast seem to average under 15 minutes. Cheaper providers such as FDCservers seem to hover around 1 hour.

Here's my issue. We've always been somewhat unhappy with response times with GNAX/NetDepot, especially considering the size of the DC, however lately it's been horrible. I spoke with the founder/president and I was more or less rebuked for my complaints. Rather than focus on the issue I raised with response times, I was called out for my belligerent attitude in my tickets. (which when waiting DAYS on a non-emergency ticket or half a day on an emergency ticket I can't help but reveal out of desperation!)

The average response time from them on average of all my tickets is around 8 hours -- with the average time it takes for them to provide a significant update to an issue around 16 hours. This is for both their flagship VMWare product and their regular dedicated server department. Note, this is an average. I would say 33% of the time, the response will be under 1 hour. 50% of the time, the response time hovers around 8 hours, and the other 17% takes over 24+ hours to garner a response.

What's the norm for you guys? What's acceptable in this industry?
    Last edited by AcuNett; 01-06-2011 at 02:16 AM.
    Ronny Fang
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )

Of the three facilities we've used, they've always responded in less than an hour... The Planet (Before the merger), SoftLayer, and Handy Networks.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Definitely need to be far under an hour for most. I could see something super budget like FDC or Burst being around 1 hour though.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Well, it really depends on what the request is and the price points of the provider. You really can't expect a budget host to provide the same level of service as a premium "5-9's" host. If they did they wouldn't be budget.

My expectation for non emergency tickets is not an hour. Clearly I want someone to look at it quickly or some triage happen when submitting the ticket. For example if I ask for a quote or RDNS or something low priority and submit it to a queue that is low priority and say it's low priority, whey would I want or need it in an hour?

Some hosts do a good job of on submit streaming it to the right urgency. For a reboot or major issue of course you want it to be less than an hour, preferably within 5-10 minutes.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

The typical DC response time is less than 15 minutes. We won't work with any DCs that take more than 15 minutes to respond!
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

It really depends on what datacenter you use. If you use a larger, more established datacenter at a reasonable price, you should expect fast responses. However, if you use a budget, smaller datacenter, you may need to wait hours sometimes for responses.
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    Well, it really depends on what the request is and the price points of the provider. You really can't expect a budget host to provide the same level of service as a premium "5-9's" host. If they did they wouldn't be budget.

My expectation for non emergency tickets is not an hour. Clearly I want someone to look at it quickly or some triage happen when submitting the ticket. For example if I ask for a quote or RDNS or something low priority and submit it to a queue that is low priority and say it's low priority, whey would I want or need it in an hour?

Some hosts do a good job of on submit streaming it to the right urgency. For a reboot or major issue of course you want it to be less than an hour, preferably within 5-10 minutes.
    I agree but even on low-priority issues the facilities we've used have always responded quickly... I guess it's a side-effect of going for quality over cost.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

and it also depends on what you call a response ..
    Private Layer Swiss Hosting : Swiss Dedicated Servers
    RIPE LIR (AS51852)
    U: www.privatelayer.com
    E: sales @ privatelayer.com

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    Definitely need to be far under an hour for most. I could see something super budget like FDC or Burst being around 1 hour though.
    I've been really surprised by FDC in terms of response *times*, which have always been really low for me. Response *quality* varies, however. Reboots are almost always done in less than 10 minutes. Other stuff might take longer, but as an unmanaged host, reboots account for the majority of my interaction with their support anyway.

Quadranet have always responded very quickly as well, just a matter of minutes. I mostly used their support for reboots and attaching KVM / moving cables, that sort of thing (colo).

Icecolo.com, response times for emergency / technical issues has been fast (minutes), but response times for sales / billing issues is measured in days or weeks. Partly this is due to time zone issues (I typically send a ticket when everyone in sales has already gone home for the day), which would account for a single day latency on response times, but usually I find that I come back the next day and it still hasn't been replied to, which is frustrating.

Response times from all the DC's I've dealt with for routing / network issues has always been pretty long, because you have to wait for the senior network engineer to 1) show up, and 2) get around to having a look at it. If it's a serious issue affecting a lot of people, then I've always had these kinds of issues taken care of quickly enough, but if it's an issue affecting only you, then from all the DC's I've worked with, network / routing issues can take 12-48 hours typically.

I guess a good question is, what *kind* of support requests are you putting in that are taking a long time? Most of the requests I do places really only require a warm body to be around, but if the stuff you're asking for is more involved, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more of a delay. That said, the response times you're mentioning from GNAX do seem rather high for a larger organization.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Reviewing the thread title - "typical DC response times?" - ~8 hrs is not a response to that for us. Whilst some tickets may drift that far, it is out side of our response times outlined in our SLA and I would be happy to investigate as to why those said tickets took so long.

Typically we tackle a ticket with initial responses of under 1 hour and resolution times depends entirely on the issue. As I said, in response to the thread title of 'typical' response times - I wouldn't say 8 Hrs is typical of us in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by JSCL View Post
    Reviewing the thread title - "typical DC response times?" - ~8 hrs is not a response to that for us. Whilst some tickets may drift that far, it is out side of our response times outlined in our SLA and I would be happy to investigate as to why those said tickets took so long.

Typically we tackle a ticket with initial responses of under 1 hour and resolution times depends entirely on the issue. As I said, in response to the thread title of 'typical' response times - I wouldn't say 8 Hrs is typical of us in any way.
    Glad to hear it. Obviously the OP made this thread trying to back up their claim that the response times from you were too long ("see, everyone here on WHT says it should take 1 hour"), after not getting satisfaction bringing the issue up with you directly. There are two sides to every story, and I'm not taking sides because I have no idea the specifics of what's going on, and I hope you two can work it out in private.

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateLayer View Post
    and it also depends on what you call a response ..
    True, You should always consider the right priority per each type of issue. For example, We normally do 5-15 minutes average on our support ticket response, However if there will be 10 reboot tickets and 2 regular support tickets, Those regular support tickets may have slower response time until the reboot tickets are correctly handled.

As long as the company knows how to manage correctly it's response priority, The customer should get an response time based on his specific request type.
    Last edited by WizzSupport; 01-06-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Ive been with dedi-direct for about a month now. The three times I needed support the ticket was answered in 5 Min's. The first problem was a switch and took only an hour to get resolved. The other two where caused by problems on my end but where corrected and the machine rebooted in under 10 Min's

I Moved from the planet who's response times where with in a hour but that was usually just a canned "we are looking in to it " which is a cheap way to say they respond fast. Most problems where cured in a couple of hours though .

My worst provider shall rename nameless 6 hours plus just to respond with "being looked at" and another 6 -7 hours to say problem being sent to the data resellers provider. then took another 6 hours to respond and fix the problem with no response that the probelm was fixed untill I inquired two hours latter asking if the server was back up.

Jason, I don't think there is a need for you to refute my claims unless you really want me to produce hard evidence here - I don't think you do.

As a teaser, let's take my most recent ticket BQW-950403 entered 10:07AM. It's now 1:22AM (that's 15 hours later) without a single response.

If you would like, I would be happy to provide snapshots of dozens of other identical instances within the past couple months, but this thread isn't about that. I'm merely interested in finding out what the industry standard is, having been told by your management what they deem industry standard is.
    Ronny Fang
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )

Quote Originally Posted by AcuNett View Post
    As a teaser, let's take my most recent ticket BQW-950403 entered 10:07AM. It's now 1:22AM (that's 15 hours later) without a single response

If you would like, I would be happy to provide snapshots of dozens of other identical instances within the past couple months
    You contact support dozens of times per couple of months? Do you have 50+ servers there or something? More info needed.

If you're not happy, move. 1 hour or less is probably industry standard for important issues. 1 business day should be acceptable for general inquiries.

At Netriplex we have <15 min response for any technical support issue
    <3 minutes for any issue marked 911
    Sales/billing/account manager may respond anytime from 1 day to several weeks later.
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    CloudJiffy PaaS - Wordpress Cluster Hosting
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    AS132335 - India - USA - Germany - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    You contact support dozens of times per couple of months? Do you have 50+ servers there or something? More info needed.

If you're not happy, move. 1 hour or less is probably industry standard for important issues. 1 business day should be acceptable for general inquiries.
    They provide server management. If they're successful at getting customers for this offering, I would expect they've got customers with lots of servers in lots of different datacenters.

Response time to ticket or phone should be nearly instant. If its a response time to fixing the server hardware then it should depend on the task but I would say with 30min they should be at your server working on it. IMO