Hetzner.de : Replace server but have to pay for old unused server

I feel disappointed with hetzner.de because of they not consistent with that said.

First, I order a new EQ4 server to replace my DS5000 server, I ask them if the old server can be replaced and they say yes, the server will be replaced (means no need to pay) at the next bill if I told them in order form that this new server replace the old one.

Here is their email, (I don't use English as primary language, please let me know if I catch the wrong meaning of this email).
    ---
    > Hello,
    >
    > if you want to upgrade your server:
    >
    > You just order new server via robot and note in commentary field, that new server
    > will displace old server.
    > Then we note an extraordinary notice of cancellation for old server.
    > You can cancel old server also via robot to next payment date.
    > You can't keep old Main-IP-address. If you have a subnet for old server we can
    > switch it to new server for 99 Euro once and also you need Flexi-Pack for new
    > server.
    > You copy data yourself from old to new server.
    > The new server costs regular setup fee.
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Ralf Sager
    >
    > Hetzner Online AG
    ---

I belive what he said, and I order the EQ4. I told them that my new server will be replaced my old server, here is my order confirmation

---
    ==============================================
    Your order:
    1 x Root Server EQ 4
    * Debian 5.0 LAMP (English, 64 bit)

Additional comments:
    I would like replace my server (DS 5000 (2 TB) #23991 (XXX.XXX.XXX.166)) with this server. Please confirm on this replacement.
    ---

But now, they haven't canceled my server and I got an invoice for unused server.

I already ask them about this problem, but like bad company, they not answering my email request.

How disappointing hetzner.de

The reason is they do not do replacements. Previously I was also using hetzner and what you have to do is cancel the old server and pay the full price of the new server (including setup). I don't know why they said it is possible to change/upgrade the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by tukangpos View Post
    Then we note an extraordinary notice of cancellation for old server.
    > You can't keep old Main-IP-address. If you have a subnet for old server we can
    this line perhaps?

He did say that you must cancel the old server..
    NETRACKSERVERS
    W -http://www.netrackservers.com
    E -mike.domingos @ netrackservers.com
    Twitter -http://www.twitter.com/NETRACKservers

Quote Originally Posted by tukangpos View Post
    I already ask them about this problem, but like bad company, they not answering my email request.
    Do you have the ticket number for me, from the request which hasn't been answered? Then I can have a look on monday for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hetzner_Online View Post
    Do you have the ticket number for me, from the request which hasn't been answered? Then I can have a look on monday for you.
    My ticket id is: 2010012148010831

I already got reply from hetzner
    --
    we note an extraordinary notice of cancellation for old server, but we can not
    cancel the server, you must do this and for this extraordinary notice you can
    cancel it to the payment date. Normally the cancellation term is 30 days to the
    end of the month.
    ---

But I'm still feel unsatisfied, because the previous email from hetzner wasn't say about I have to manually cancel the server.

I've never used Hetzner so I don't know their policies but this line from your original post would suggest to me that they wanted you to cancel the old server yourself from the 'robot' (control panel?):

Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Affordable Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by LDHosting View Post
    I've never used Hetzner so I don't know their policies but this line from your original post would suggest to me that they wanted you to cancel the old server yourself from the 'robot' (control panel?):
    I don't agree, I assume that they create an extraordinary note for cancellation my server. Afterall what is purpose of extraordinary notice ?

> You just order new server via robot and note in commentary field, that new server
    > will displace old server.
    > Then we note an extraordinary notice of cancellation for old server.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNETRACK View Post
    He did say that you must cancel the old server..
    Quote Originally Posted by LDHosting View Post

Where did he say that?

You can cancel old server also via robot to next payment date.
    Any idiot with half a clue would interpret that as optional, implying its not necessary but can also be done. Not 'must also', but 'can also'.

I'll try to make the story short. If you want to cancle the server, please cancle it via our control panel (Robot). You can sent me afterwards your IP adress via PM, and I will make shure, that everything works fine with your cancelation.

I don't see why you are making such a big deal out of this?

Just cancel the old server, and that's it.

I'll try to make the story short. If you want to cancle the server, please cancle it via our control panel (Robot). You can sent me afterwards your IP adress via PM, and I will make shure, that everything works fine with your cancelation.
    The problem lies in the fact that you offer English support, yet clearly your support personnel, and yourself for that matter, are not very good English speakers.

If you are going to offer English support, the customer cannot be held accountable for any problems that arise from your poor English, such as you not being clear on the cancellation process in a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Frands View Post
    I don't see why you are making such a big deal out of this?

Just cancel the old server, and that's it.
    He's already received the invoice, and I would take a guess that once you receive the invoice it's too late to cancel off the server and the invoice.

I'm still confused by what an "extraordinary cancellation" actually means. Does it mean they give you a month free? Does it mean you get to cancel on short notice? Does it mean that your cancellation was so hard to believe that they decided to not let you cancel after all?

I just got this from Hetzner, followed immediately by an automated notice that my cancellation... had been cancelled.

I cancelled canvcellation of old server and noted an extraordinary cancellation
    period.
    So you don't have to pay too much for both servers.
    and

Cancellation of your server EQ 9 #49109 ([ip address removed])

Dear customer,

the cancellation of your server, which takes effect 30.09.2010, has been removed.

Does this mean that, if I cancel the server on August 29, I won't have to pay an invoice for the server on August 30?

If so, this was not communicated very well. The term "extraordinary cancellation" does not conjure up any meaning in my native U.S. English head.

Hetzner, if this is what you mean by extraordinary cancellation, please relieve the confusion of your future customers by including the following note in any communication about "extraordinary cancellations":

By "extraordinary cancellation", we mean that, if you cancel the server up until [deadline], you will not be billed for the following month. (delete the term [deadline] and insert the date after which the customer will be forced to pay for another month of the old server.)

However, I could be wrong in my interpretation, so maybe my explanation here is also wrong!

But if I'm right, this is actually pretty nice. What it does, in effect, is it saves me from paying for September 1 - September 30 for the old server, as long as I can clear my stuff off of it before August 30. I might be able to do that if they provision my server this week.

Don't get the wrong impression. I'm not dissatisfied. I just think that we need to work on helping the Hetzner representatives use clearer English. One way to do that is to gently teach them.
    Last edited by allquixotic; 08-17-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Don't get the wrong impression. I'm not dissatisfied. I just think that we need to work on helping the Hetzner representatives use clearer English. One way to do that is to gently teach them.
    I'll come back to you via PM to follow up. We are happy to get notice, if we can improve our services. I really appreciate, that you talk turkey with us.
    Thank you for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Does it mean that your cancellation was so hard to believe that they decided to not let you cancel after all?

Extraordinary right of cancellation means:
    you get permission to cancel your server before the regular cancellation period (which would be the last day of the following month).
    We will activate this status for your server in the robot.
    You have to log into your robot account and cancel the server actively for the cancellation to take effect.

We will make an effort to improve our English to avoid communication problems in the future.

Thank you all for your feedback

Extraordinary right of cancellation means:
    you get permission to cancel your server before the regular cancellation period (which would be the last day of the following month).
    We will activate this status for your server in the robot.
    You have to log into your robot account and cancel the server actively for the cancellation to take effect.

We will make an effort to improve our English to avoid communication problems in the future.

Thank you all for your feedback
    I appreciate you clarifying this for me, and also the deal we worked out. Fantastic service, thank you!