Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi Mat,

I am probably a bit late for the answer, but here is my 2 cents in any case.

1. Cloud hosting gives you a Pay As You Go model. You can start/stop/upgrade/downgrade and only pay for what you use and for how long.

2. You could also create custom server images. You could use these images to build new servers from.

3. The difference between VPS and cloud, more or less are these two points above.

4. Of course cloud decreases the rate of failure - hardware failover.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Sam

Hi Mat

Cloud Hosting/Cluster Hosting is a step up from regular hosting that is generally used today. Basically, online operations are not restricted to a single machine/server.
    In Cloud Hosting several servers are used to avoid the problem that can arise when a single server is used to host websites and results in high availability hosting. Servers can be added or removed from the cluster with no impact or downtime on hosted applications. It provides computing power when you need it.
    It only requires you to pay for what you use.

Let me know if you need more info''

After reading this thread I can see why so many clients are getting confused.

Google are also implementing their own version of "Cloud computing" - that is complete applications hosted in a data center environment access via your web browser.

Effectively only needing a web browser/RDP client, same concept as Terminal Server / RDP server.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

@Katatonic - Hi, Yes a lot of companies are putting out their cloud computing services.

One possible way of categorizing them would be
    a. Infrastructure as a Service
    b. Platform as a Service
    c. Software as a Service

Cheers!

Lightbulb

Cloud Hosting - I will define it as your website is hosted over a group of servers responsible for rendering various services and computation instead of a shared/vps/dedicated server.

In a cloud there are numerous server which play different roles and run different application (in most of the cases)...like one is web server, second is active directory, third is exchange server, fourth is load balancing server, and so on...

The reason and advantages of Cloud are tremendous. It is not only a buzz word or a new term to sell. But, it is really a great revolution that enables you to have software as a services that is called SaaS, platform as a services which is called PaaS. Additionally, you can implement infrastructure and sell it as a service (more advanced - Grid like operations).

In general, we need to buy the application to run for specific purpose and services but cloud eliminates the need to buy the software application instead enables you to have an access license and get the services without buy the application independently. Meaning that, based on software/platform as service you can have your requirements fulfilled virtually and globally with maximum scalability and flexibility. When it comes to a dedicated server or VPS than imagine how much you can scale it? While cloud enables you have it as much scalability as you want!

If you need more information please contact me.

Cloud is nothing but a combination of computational resources serving your web needs. make sure that your application suits the cloud architecture before you take a decision on moving to cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by jamezparker View Post
    Cloud Hosting - I will define it as your website is hosted over a group of servers responsible for rendering various services and computation instead of a shared/vps/dedicated server.

In a cloud there are numerous server which play different roles and run different application (in most of the cases)...like one is web server, second is active directory, third is exchange server, fourth is load balancing server, and so on...

The reason and advantages of Cloud are tremendous. It is not only a buzz word or a new term to sell. But, it is really a great revolution that enables you to have software as a services that is called SaaS, platform as a services which is called PaaS. Additionally, you can implement infrastructure and sell it as a service (more advanced - Grid like operations).

In general, we need to buy the application to run for specific purpose and services but cloud eliminates the need to buy the software application instead enables you to have an access license and get the services without buy the application independently. Meaning that, based on software/platform as service you can have your requirements fulfilled virtually and globally with maximum scalability and flexibility. When it comes to a dedicated server or VPS than imagine how much you can scale it? While cloud enables you have it as much scalability as you want!

If you need more information please contact me.
    Spot on.

Just adding: Cloud hosting therefore offers on-demand services on a Pay As You Go model, much like a utility like electricity.

Remember to weigh the concerns of your data and security when delving into the cloud, an often over site with all the raging benefits tossed in your face

<<signatures to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by bear; 03-27-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Could is a way for a company to provide what you need and when you need it.
    This means you can have you site slowly ticking over, then a massive burst of traffic, you don't lose the traffic because your cloud expands with it. and then shrinks when its gone, meaning you only pay for what's been used.
    Also there is normally a lot of high availability tied into the cloud.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    Could is a way for a company to provide what you need and when you need it.
    This means you can have you site slowly ticking over, then a massive burst of traffic, you don't lose the traffic because your cloud expands with it. and then shrinks when its gone, meaning you only pay for what's been used.
    Also there is normally a lot of high availability tied into the cloud.
    Yes. Also since cloud hosting is pay as you go, customers can try it for a few hours and really test all the assumptions and help allay misgivings, without any major financial commitment.

Yeh, I actually remember asking in a forum a few years ago peoples ideas about a pay as you go hosting service.

Got shot down point blank, with people saying it wouldn't be profitable ha ha

As the profit at the time was usually in selling a client more than the need and use.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    Yeh, I actually remember asking in a forum a few years ago peoples ideas about a pay as you go hosting service.

Got shot down point blank, with people saying it wouldn't be profitable ha ha

As the profit at the time was usually in selling a client more than the need and use.
    lol. The same rules apply today too. You can find out who offers and who does not offer pay as you go hosting by just looking at what is their response to a cloud/payg post.

Pay as you go I believe.

Its known as, Pay As You Go, Or having a whole bunch of servers connected, Its a cloud of computers, Search it up in google, I'm pretty sure it'll help you out a lot.

cloud computing is taking various vps locations and combining them for scalability or as you use the internet. IT isn't used for control over your servers like dedicated servers where you can troubleshoot and reboot on demand.

Quote Originally Posted by slice16 View Post
    The way I see cloud-hosting is using the utilities billing model. In basic terms, a client only pays for the resources he uses, just like your electricity bill or water rates. You pay for CPU useage, memory and bandwidth and it scales as and when you need it
    Correct me if I'm wrong but with a utilities-based model it makes it difficult(?) to understand what your costs are going to be month-to-month...?
    Also, what happens if you have an app running on the server running amok (causing high CPU/Mem usage); your costs could go up exponentially!
    John Rasri
    Private Label Live Chat Provider For Resellers
    GotLiveChat.com
    White Label/Brand-able live chat software solutions

1. Cloud servers allow root access.
    2. You can troubleshoot just the way you can troubleshoot a dedicated servers.
    3. You can reboot on demand a cloud server.
    4. You can get an estimate of your costs by doing a math of hours x cost per hour
    5. Most cloud servers will have the option of manual scalability. You can switch to manual scalability to avoid running up huge costs.

On the other side, the advantages are significant:
    1. You can scale up and down within minutes, reducing the cost of losing customers due to overloading
    2. You can scale down during non peak hours to save costs
    3. You have high availability to mitigate risk of non availability of sites/applications/services/e-commerce engines
    4. You can store custom images of servers for quick server building and/or restoration in cases of disaster

Hope it helps...

Personally, I don't see how utility billing equates to cloud computing. How does that have anything to do with a cloud or any change in technology, it is just a billing method. Is it really any different to pay hourly instead of monthly, they're just different arbitrary time limits, if hourly billing is cloud than what is billing per minute or per second called?

To me, a real cloud is a system that will dynamically allocate resources and bill for exactly the resources you're using. If you want to run something it'll automatically take the resources it needs from as many systems it needs and then bill you for those resources used, in something solid, such as CPU cycles, actual CPU time, amount of disk space used, bandwidth used, etc. If you need to tell it what resources you need and need to specifically sign-up for and remove those resources it isn't really a cloud, just a glorified VPS, imho.

For most uses/cases I still feel clouds are the future, not the now. Most clouds are being used for specific applications, applications specifically designed around cloud concepts, not for your general PHP web application, etc. and require high levels of knowledge regarding software development and scalability at this point. Hopefully soon, those concerns go away and we have true clouds for the masses.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

I guess the future has arrived

Gartner says "By 2012, 20 percent of businesses will own no IT assets. Several interrelated trends are driving the movement toward decreased IT hardware assets, such as virtualization, cloud-enabled services, and employees running personal desktops and notebook systems on corporate networks."

Cloud hosting companies, today, are recording triple digit growth in their cloud hosting business.

Definitions apart, it is easy and beneficial for most organizations to adopt the cloud hosting options available today.
    Last edited by sam9; 04-07-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: missed out a messg

Quote Originally Posted by sam9 View Post
    Gartner says "By 2012, 20 percent of businesses will own no IT assets. Several interrelated trends are driving the movement toward decreased IT hardware assets, such as virtualization, cloud-enabled services, and employees running personal desktops and notebook systems on corporate networks."

Cloud hosting companies, today, are recording triple digit growth in their cloud hosting business.

Definitions apart, it is easy and beneficial for most organizations to adopt the cloud hosting options available today.
    Interesting data; though there will always be companies that will keep their technology in-house, especially if the data on those servers/networks contain sensitive or valuable data. Just wouldn't make sense to have it 'sitting' elsewhere where who knows how many techs would have access to it :-)
    John Rasri
    Private Label Live Chat Provider For Resellers
    GotLiveChat.com
    White Label/Brand-able live chat software solutions

Quote Originally Posted by gotlivechat View Post
    Interesting data; though there will always be companies that will keep their technology in-house, especially if the data on those servers/networks contain sensitive or valuable data. Just wouldn't make sense to have it 'sitting' elsewhere where who knows how many techs would have access to it :-)
    Not quite.

Data centers are typical more secure than the general office, plus are manned 24/7 in case some thing goes wrong.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    Not quite.

Data centers are typical more secure than the general office, plus are manned 24/7 in case some thing goes wrong.
    Keeping it in house doesn't mean they just keep it under their desks in their office. Most banks will run their own data centers, so they can control all the aspects of security themselves and that is also the case with various firms dealing with lots of medical data, etc. Simply being 100% in charge of the controls for data access can mean a lot to those types of firms.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Cloud Hosting is cool. HyCloud is cooler.

Cloud hosting gives you a lot more flexibility and scalability compared to standard hosting.
    Hycloud is a Journalist, CEO, teacher, scientist, mathematician, engineer, economist, web developer, graphics designer, computer programmer, system administrator

I dont think so. Cloud hosting will have its share of limitations. Do you want your data hosted by someone else rather than yourself or on your own little dedicated at home or work ...

I think cloud computing is still in "hype" stage. Few need it, even fewer understand it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast